Interesting Pictures

2stacksuperdog

Indiana got hit with it as well. At the time my dad was living in my cousin's apartment. The cousin was a captian with the Ft Wayne Fire Dept. Norm called dad and said the FWFD needed his snowmobiles and they would have a FF on a snowmobile there in an hour to get the keys to the building that the sleds were kept in. Fire & PD borrowed every sled available and the FD, PD and Street Dept went to every car dealership in town and took every 4X4 on every lot in town and pressed them into service as emergency vehicles. In 1978 there were not nearly as many snowmobiles, 4X4's 4X4's with blades, snowblowers... None of the things we pretty well take for granted today. I lived with my mom & step-dad on a dead end street that was 3 blocks long with no cross streets. Everyone pitched in and we all dug out, using 3 snowblowers and a whole lot of shovels and muscles, our driveways and the street in front of our homes. We could get to the next "major roadway" but that was it. It was two days before the city got it opened.

In 1983, when I was 17 I bought my first 4X4 and have had one ever since with the exception of one winter.

Vinny, look closer at those two R models, the one on the left sure has a long mirror bracket on the passenger side, you can see the whole exhaust pipe without vertical muffler and its inboard of the mirror. I bet that there R is actually a U if you really look.

Oh my it is!!!! Thanks for pointing that out.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

My father worked it plowing in and Autocar Dump truck for JJ Cronin, he went out full load of sand and he said the wind still made the truck rock side to side. he remembers opening up streets that the snow was rolling over the plow and over the hood of the truck. I remember those trucks and they where big trucks. He was gone for about 5 days if I remember right, that was one storm I will not forget.

Like those B model plows. Those DM's may be White Oak (only a guess) I think they numbered there trucks on the grill guard like that. Numbers seem to be close.

The Operating Engineers have one of those trucks in the pictures and its painted green sand my dad said Tomasso put his numbers like that.

Matt