Stock or not???  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your vintage Macks?

• FACTORY STOCK
    • MODERN UPGRADES THROUGHOUT

• 2 years later...

Like Larry said it's your truck. Now I've been working up brackets and adapters to put a set of disc brakes on one of my AC's. Hidden behind and mostly inside the front brake drum. I have used on other vehicles a generator looking 12 volt alternator, which will be on most all of my AC's. As for obvious modifications, only if they are period for the decade of the truck.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I guess if you get bit by the truck bug and have MORE THAN ONE, you can have the best of both worlds. im a fan of restored to original with a few upgrades, im also a fan of Yarnells F model and LF with lanova that just need a good dousing of fuel oil to keep them sweet. I still hope whoever bought the RG Smith B61 didn't ruin its patina.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I like stock with tastefull upgrades that does not give to much modern look and I DO NOT like B models on anything else besides dayton wheels . My oppion every old truck looks good in my eyes with a set of Daytons painted two tone with axle chrome covers and nut covers just looks rugged . Also like period correct paint colors modern colors do not look right on old trucks just my opipions

• Like 1

I like them stock but very few updates are OK

This exactly. For things that are visible like lights and trim, I prefer stock or period correct items. For unseen things like wiring, modern is not only OK, but preferable in some instances.

If I had the money, I'd switch all the wheels and tires over to 24.5" tubeless, though.

I like them stock but very few updates are OK

I like the OEM period correct look for a lot of things. I'm sort of at the edge of overdoing restorations though with detailing. Everything, brackets, tanks, bumper, seats, etc, are what I remember. I do polish and chrome parts but they are correct for the truck. Adding a few gauges and maybe power steering is a good thing. I do have one exception, got to have big period correct power. Still an old hot rodder at heart.

• Like 1

I only made a few safety/driveability upgrades to my Diamond T 201 when it was restored. changed to 12 volt, electric fuel pump, although I plumbed it thru the mech one so when you lift the hood it looks original, electric wipers, turn signals, rear bumper and full lights on the rear.

I set it up to be able to drive it locally (15-20 mile radius), but it is still a beast.. If I were to build something, especially a big truck, to drive to shows I would upgrade ALL the safety related items and keep the rest as stock as possible.

• Like 1

Brocky

Guess you work with what you got too. I'd say taking a survivor or bone stock truck custom probably rubs a lot of folks wrong, but some trucks were used and loved for so long people made lots of mods. That's history in itself. I say to each his own. But the more gears the better, and some days I do dream about power steering (but on the highway I like the manual steer). Mike's original paint trucks are awesome - that horseshoe grille always makes me :)

I brought it up in another post, and it applies here too. Take a good look at Joe Mustangs H model cabover. This truck was heavily modified by its long-time owner over the lifetime of the truck. Nowhere near stock anymore, but a piece of history just the same. A truck is the extension of its owner's personality. If you are paying the bills, do what you wish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I brought it up in another post, and it applies here too. Take a good look at Joe Mustangs H model cabover. This truck was heavily modified by its long-time owner over the lifetime of the truck. Nowhere near stock anymore, but a piece of history just the same. A truck is the extension of its owner's personality. If you are paying the bills, do what you wish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree,Gregg. There is always going to be someone nitpicking about being original or not. I am glad my truck was a conversion,that way I have little to gauge "original" on! LOL! Al
  • Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I really couldnt give a flynig F--k what others think about what I do I do for me and what others do they do for them I and enjoy what others do the day we start telling people what they should or shouldnt do for me is a sad day I enjoy what others do and I enjoy seeying the smile on peoples face when they are cruising around in there bucket of bolts or their pristine show pony but then again Im a bit strange I like trucks in there working clothes having said that a true working truck will have so many upgrades over its life it wont be anything like when it cam from the factory I like scroll work on a truck not vinyl lettering but if some one else likes vinyl good luck to them nothing like good brush work very cool indeed

thats 50 cents worth

Paul

did you take a breath at any time in that response?

• Like 2

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

That can't be real.... Don't think those low low profile tires are better than load range C. Wheels would be $2500 each.

Only thing I can think of is the song "Little Pink Mack".... It is certainly a conversation starter. Wonder what drives it if real?

.. It is certainly a conversation starter. Wonder what drives it if real?

Can't post the image, I have too much respect for the MACK.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE