Did UPS ever run R models

First UPS conventional I saw was an IH short BBC conventional in '92, had no air deflector and reputedly an L10 Cummins. UPS called them "rapid response tractors" and planned to use them as short haul rigs for extra pickups, etc.. I haven't seem them around in years. There were also a bunch of Ford LN9000s with the midsized Cat engine bought around then too, the engines gave trouble and I haven't seen them around in years. Drove one of the UPS Road Commodes once, had a 60 series Detroit with a 5 speed tranny. There may still be a few 9670 IHs around, up until recently the St.Cloud, MN center had one.

It would depend on the year of purchase if they were Diamond T's, REO's, or Diamond REO's as the name Diamond REO was created on May 1, 1967. I can remember some of them running between Indiamapolis and Columbus Ohio.

Brocky

Brocky

Hmm where to even start, well if she delivered a package here I would probably try to get her to do things I would get into trouble for saying here so well skip that. I have seen the F,MH, and CH Macks but never an R, there have been several Internationals and Sterlings around here and in the Cab over days they had just about everything. I have looked the cut up CH trucks over several times, most dont even have a Mack steering wheel emblem they are just generic horn buttons. I know that they ran the same mirrors on all their trucks for years no matter the brand they were the small square convex and slightly larger rectangle flat mirror, brown of course along with the brackets. I wish they would sell them but they are pretty far into their routine to change now, just think of all those F and MH models scrapped, makes me sad.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

There have been a number of UPS owned trucks that made it out alive. A Diamond Reo worked around St. Louis for years painted red. There was an MH for sale on Craigslist maybe a year ago. One of the UPS Peterbilt 282's has been on eBay in California for the past several months. It's now been painted black and has aluminum wheels, but its 100% UPS. Doesn't come with a title and the guy wanted about $6K for it.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting tidbit I read some years ago regarding IH cabovers. Check out the turn signal location on this truck.

ups_int_co9670.jpg

Those style turn signals were only used on set-back axle versions of these cabovers but what UPS wants ,UPS gets.

Here's the way it should look:

ups_int_co9670_2.jpg

And those same turn signals in their intended application:

011516163_cab1.jpg

Jim

Hmm where to even start, well if she delivered a package here I would probably try to get her to do things I would get into trouble for saying here so well skip that. I have seen the F,MH, and CH Macks but never an R, there have been several Internationals and Sterlings around here and in the Cab over days they had just about everything. I have looked the cut up CH trucks over several times, most dont even have a Mack steering wheel emblem they are just generic horn buttons. I know that they ran the same mirrors on all their trucks for years no matter the brand they were the small square convex and slightly larger rectangle flat mirror, brown of course along with the brackets. I wish they would sell them but they are pretty far into their routine to change now, just think of all those F and MH models scrapped, makes me sad.

ya,,but on a happy note,,thats where i got my doors..for my DM was an old buster F model,,you can buy parts,,just not complete..bob

Here's an interesting tidbit I read some years ago regarding IH cabovers. Check out the turn signal location on this truck.

ups_int_co9670.jpg

Those style turn signals were only used on set-back axle versions of these cabovers but what UPS wants ,UPS gets.

Here's the way it should look:

ups_int_co9670_2.jpg

And those same turn signals in their intended application:

011516163_cab1.jpg

Still got the old "B" model fuel tanks on them!

Ron