Did UPS ever run R models

It was interesting when the F-model was discontinued. With UPS in the eastern US totally standardized on that truck, they wanted as few changes as possible. The resulting UPS-spec MH reflected that. It was significantly different from the retail MH. The extended bumper, round headlamps and 9.00R20 tires made it stand out. It even had the same F-model fuel tank fitted with the integral step. And of course, it had the Mack "Dynamax" wet clutch. UPS rarely had to replace a clutch.

I never saw an R-model wear the brown. I have seen pictures of the "Baby Mack", a conventional made around the same time as the Mid liner. I have seen a cabover H model on Hanks Truck pictures too. We had one W series cabover Ford. It used to bounce back and forth between Lexington and Louisville hubs. I asked why just one and was told Ford gave it to them to try and sell some.There are currently 2 or 3 MH's behind the shop in Lexington. They won'y even discuss selling one to you.

I was reading Diesel Power magazine and it had a article about UPS. They said that the only way the trucks got to keep the bulldog was it had a function, its how you open the hood. The also dont sell anything, although I have heard of people getting some semis from them at one time or another, I have seen one r model when I went to Oregon, It was pulling pups up Cabbage hill only one I have ever seen. This was about 5 years ago and it looked very old at that time, 70's vintage maybe early eighties. I have some friends that work at UPS and they say they will repair a truck until it cant be fixed anymore and then its destroyed.

15 gears...no waiting!

About 5 years ago, a local truck salvage yard had several (8-10) MH day cab tractors. I picked a few parts from them but these trucks were bare bones. I went back to the salvage yard about a year ago and they were all GONE.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

remember those,,,i thought they were diamond T,s,,,also had allotta petes in the west coast anyway.bob

I remember them too,i also thought they were Diamond T's,UPS terminal near me in Jersey had one up into the late nineties at least,used to see it on the Turnpike doing a round trip from Newark airport every once in awhile. I saw one of those "package cars" on a rollback one time,i could see the horn button said Diamond Reo,i always wondered who built those?...........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I had never seen a UPS conventional until they started buying CH's and growing up in the east I never saw anything but F models until I rode out to Ohio with my Dad and saw Diamond Reos and GMC Astros.

I remember them too,i also thought they were Diamond T's,UPS terminal near me in Jersey had one up into the late nineties at least,used to see it on the Turnpike doing a round trip from Newark airport every once in awhile. I saw one of those "package cars" on a rollback one time,i could see the horn button said Diamond Reo,i always wondered who built those?...........................Mark

I worked the Christmas rush in '91 and the Package Car I drove was on a '74 Ford chassis. Every PC at that barn had Ford steering wheels.

Jim

UPS had an issue years ago witha truck they sold, apparently the new owner got in a wreck and ended up blaming ups for selling him a truck with bad brakes and in the end they got sued by the new owner and the other party in the accident and it cost them LOTS of money. Ever since that accident UPS will not sell a vehicle it must be scrapped, there is a place here in Nashville that gets them in all the time they come in and they have to cut the frame right then under supervision and a form is filled out and signed that the vehicle was destroyed. I always wondered if you could buy one weld it back together and apply for a rebuilt title, its done all the time I dont see why it wouldnt work, there is a CH in Nashville right now with a remack engine new in 2011.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Interesting that UPS took all the chrome, name plates, etc. off of their trucks but they always left the bulldog on their Macks.

bulldogboy

If you go into a UPS repair shop all the names on tool boxes and shop equipment is removed or covered up. Even on your personal box. UPS thinks if there is a name or brand recognition symbol on any item or vehicle they use will show their endorsement of that product. Even the UPS Brown and Gunmetal for the air trucks were private secret formulas...until computerized color scanner for paint colors came along. They originally wanted the dogs removed by Mack told them it had to stay to open the hood.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Actually you can own an ex-UPS truck, or UPS Freight truck anway, there are a ton of their 2011 ProStar's for sale on TruckPaper. (Painted white of course, but some still have the black, silver trimmed wheels, and the brown seats.) ;)

UPS R-Models would be pretty cool though.

Mmm mmm mmm, well I guess that does it for me I'm shipping by ups only till I see that, no more fed ex for this guy.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Actually you can own an ex-UPS truck, or UPS Freight truck anway, there are a ton of their 2011 ProStar's for sale on TruckPaper. (Painted white of course, but some still have the black, silver trimmed wheels, and the brown seats.) ;)

UPS R-Models would be pretty cool though.

ups freight is a whole nother ball of wax, they still run like overnight here, actually still use old overnight internationals in blue and gray. I have seen the freight trucks for sale but I know the guys that cut up the brown trucks, there were 8 old package car front frames with engines and trannys sitting in them, 1 international tractor and 4 old ch macks there last time I stopped by.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine,the late Bob Benak worked at UPS in the shop first then went into management.He told me when the new MACKs (F models) would come in,the bulldogs were in the trucks,packed nicely in a little wooden box.He said they were usually "distributed" among the mechanics in the shop!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA