Sad Tale, Looking for a Complete 707B Motor, and Other

Art Lawrence

I was preparing to purchase a very nicely done 1958 B-85, long wheelbase Mack. Needed a little more work, but was in very nice condition with new paint. The gentleman took it to the weigh station so I could tell the trucker what the weight was. Well, POOF! Engine compartment fire that was fed by an electric ful pump doing its thing. Burned the hell out of the engine compartment, radiator, firewall inside, firewall in the cab, the dash and wiring, and cooked the windshields.

Needless to say, I was beside myself and so was the seller. I contacted Matt Pfahl and sent him some photos. His sense, as was mine, is that the thing can be fixed, but the limiting factor is motor damage. And, as well all know, there are not a ton of 707B or C motors out there. Of course, some of the other parts may be less hard to find, but none the less not easy.

Does anyone have a line on a 707B or C motor that is complete and might be available? While I am in no way a rich man, I want to see if this is salvagable. Otherwise, the insurance company has now totaled it and will sell it for scrap. OH NO!

Matt is sitting on the sidelines at the moment awaiting the outcome of my morot hunt and also a couple of other things.

Anyone with a line on a complete motor that will run properly, or anyone with any ideas, please post back.

I have been asked NOT to post the photos, so that is why they are missing. If the truck is going to be parted out, I will let people know, but most of the good stuff is cooked.

Ideas fellow iron worshipers?

Thanks,

Art

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

They showed one in their inventory last year, probably worth a shot.

http://www.samwinermotors.com/

This is a complete truck with a 707.

http://www.fdnntv.co..._1_E_0_A_2_E_55

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks everyone. I will look into these. I know that the truck can be dieselized, but really hate to do that. Also, based on what I have been told, that may be cost prohibitive. Actually, it all may become cost prohibitive, but I want to give it a try anyway.

Big Dog - I was within about 3 hours of being the owner. At the moment, and until the insurance company settles, the current owner has asked me to not post photos or other information, which I understand and agreed to respect. On aniother matter, I see you are in MA, and I will be moving my LS-85 up there within a few months.

Thanks to everyone!

Art

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

Sorry for your pain and I hope it works out for you.

This should serve as a reminder for all antique apparatus owners to ALWAYS have at least two portable extinguishers on your trucks that are operational and readily available. Not the little 2 1/2 pound car style, but real ten pound or greater extinguishers.

Think about what you are going to do if it catches fire before it happens. I.e. cut off batteries to stop fuel flow, set parking brake and wheel chocks, then use the extinguishers.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I sent you a message with what I can do to help. I may be able to do better than I have indicated. Let me know if you are interested as I need to do some leg work to be sure I have parts covered on my end. I hope it works out for you one way of another.

Greg

Sorry for your pain and I hope it works out for you.

This should serve as a reminder for all antique apparatus owners to ALWAYS have at least two portable extinguishers on your trucks that are operational and readily available. Not the little 2 1/2 pound car style, but real ten pound or greater extinguishers.

Think about what you are going to do if it catches fire before it happens. I.e. cut off batteries to stop fuel flow, set parking brake and wheel chocks, then use the extinguishers.

I personally carry one 2.5gal AFFF foam extinguisher, and one 30lb ANSUL extinguisher, both of which have current tags as per NFPA 10 as some SPAAMFAA (and other parade/muster judges) require it or award extra points for it.

And if my truck is on fire I'm not wasting my time with chocks...lol.....set the brake, put it in gear and put fire out and then commence with the appropriate cussing.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I guess I should get my extinguishers tested.

I sold a 707 out of a B85 to someone on this forum. He has a B70 that he wants to put it in. Maybe he will see this and change his mind. I have another complete 707, but I think I will keep it as a back-up.

Mike

And if my truck is on fire I'm not wasting my time with chocks

Keep in mind that many posters here do not have fire service experience. We can joke about this, but we both know how dangerous a standard shift rig is when it is on fire. It is not fun when the starter engages and the rig starts moving on it's own. If it is in neutral and the parking brake cable burns through it can turn into a runaway pretty quickly. The first inclination is to try to stop the truck in either case; a real easy way to get run over.

ALWAYS chock it before you start to fight the fire, just like you would before you fight any vehicle fire. The truck is replaceable, you are not.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

ALWAYS chock it before you start to fight the fire, just like you would before you fight any vehicle fire.

Been in the fire service for 20+ years, have never heard of chocking any vehicle, much less being taught or having done it.....Don't tell me you actually drop chocks on car fires?? No one around here does it.....Never have either that I know of.

Every time. Approach at 45 degrees; knock it down; chock the wheels or flatten the tires by pulling the valve stems before you go to either end of the vehicle. Same as an extrication.

I have had a couple "take off" by engaging the starter. They don't move fast, but if you are bent over the grill trying to get the hood open it will get your attention and it can pin you against anything in front of the car.

The parking brake is activated by a steel cable that can fail rapidly as the steel softens under fire attack. I don't want to depend on the driver having the sense to put it in gear and set the brake when they are already flustered by the vehicle catching fire. Gravity will always prevail when humans fail to act.

It's only a car and with any damage at all it's going to be totaled by the insurance company anyways. Take the time to be safe and do it right.

Here is a link that would make a good "quick drill" for vehicle fires. http://www.firefighternation.com/article/firefighting-operations/fighting-vehicle-fires

A quick drill for us was a ten to fifteen minute run down by the OIC at line-up on a particular subject of interest. A couple of examples of quick drills would be going over post-incident action reports from working events that had occured during the previous days at other companies or covering NFPA 704 as a refresher.

Don't mean to preach, but It's hard to take off the instructor hat! Be safe!

their is a video on you tube a step van on fire, f.d. pulls up in front ,lines off, gas tank starts leaking , stream of flaming fuel going down the street, truck starts rolling down the street into the fire truck, ACKWARD!!!

Can you post the link? I couldn't find it. Thanks

Art,

Sorry to hear of your problem. If I were you and I wanted the truck bad, I wouldn't let the fire stop me. If I couldn't find a 707 I would get a non turbo 673 and drop it in until either I found a 707 or just leave the 673 in there.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

their is a video on you tube a step van on fire, f.d. pulls up in front ,lines off, gas tank starts leaking , stream of flaming fuel going down the street, truck starts rolling down the street into the fire truck, ACKWARD!!!

You know what I did see this, I guess that is a situation where chocks should have been used. But also, the ECO and ECC need to think next time about parkng downhill from a working vehicle fire.

Been in the fire service for 20+ years, have never heard of chocking any vehicle, much less being taught or having done it.....Don't tell me you actually drop chocks on car fires?? No one around here does it.....Never have either that I know of.

Sorry, we chock all cars and trucks that are on fire or MVA'S here in New York not right away on some but as soon as it is safe .

I was in the fire service over 30 years and never chocked a burning vehicle, either. Makes sense but back in the "L" and "B" model days it was never mentioned;

just put the fire out with the booster line (no one bothered to mask-up either, just a run of the mill car fire).

bulldogboy