1959 Mack B85FSW

Kentucky Hillbilly

Saw this while looking on craigslist. Pretty cool looking and seems to be in good shape. Can't say that I have ever seen a tandem fire truck, but it looks to have one to many zeros in the price. Its in Rock Island, Tennessee if anybody is interested. I hope the link will work. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste it to this forum, so I just typed it.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4878734808.html

Very interesting,10 times more than I think it's worth though. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

While I'm not sure, and wouldn't challenge the Museum data for B85FSW's, there were only two B95FSW's made entirely at the Mack factory. One of them went to my old department, Millwood, NY and the other went to Gallery Chemical Co. near Pittsburgh the same year. I rode on this rig to my first fire in 1993. B95FSW 1144 was in service with the Millwood Fire Company from 1959 until 1994/1995 when replaced by a 3600gal Kenworth Pumper/Tanker.

Original thread about the Millwood rig is linked below as well as pictures.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/29336-millwood-ny-b95fsw-1144-ex-engine-245/?hl=millwood

post-4725-0-19207200-1357925949_thumb.jp

post-4725-0-20191000-1357926283_thumb.jp

post-4725-0-20004200-1357926132_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Is Swanzey tanker of the same gang?

Yes and no.... That is an original tandem axle B model, just not a fire truck. It was originally a commercial or municipal truck.... Factory B model fire trucks and chassis did not come with step or saddle fuel tanks. It had the tanker box and pump put on it it after it retired from its original intended service in the late 1970's.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

In 1959 a B Model fire truck would come with a 707C. In 1960 the ENDTF became an option. Fire apparatus were custom vehicles which included the fire body for its particular application. This one in my opinion although one of four is no more then a B Model tractor with out a roof. The historical significance or fire body has been removed making it nothing more then a neat tractor. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

In 1959 a B Model fire truck would come with a 707C. In 1960 the ENDTF 673 became an option. Fire apparatus were custom vehicles which included the fire body for its particular application. This one in my opinion although one of four is no more then a B Model tractor with out a roof. The historical significance or fire body has been removed making it nothing more then a neat tractor. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

RARE* Antique Mack B85FSW 1377 Fire Truck - $25000 (Rock Island, TN)

00606_kPlSevwIQVr_600x450.jpg

I'm guessing it was a hook/ladder truck? Or did it pull a water tank? Does seem strange to be a tandem.

I'm sure the 5th wheel was put on after the body was removed. Probably a pumper originally. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm ok with the gas engine as they are pretty neat but I agree that the truck without the body is just a b-model in need of a roof. It's too bad but I can't see trying to restore it as a fire truck with no fire body and it doesn't;t make sense as a tractor and no roof. I'd add a new cab and doors and be happy...I'd be in at about $2000 or so. "Rare" or not the possible value left with the body. I don't imagine tandem fire bodies of similar vintage are readily available and the original is no doubt long since scrapped.

It's a shame but still a cool Mack...not worth the $.

• Like 1

You could buy two MACKS and drive them both for the money you're going to throw at the Chevelle

P.T.CHESHIRE

I think that the "Crackers" truck once belonged to the Coeyman's Hollow, NY Fire Department.

Although it no longer shows up on their website, the Marsh Harbour, Bahamas Fire Brigade once

ran a tandem axle "B" model still lettered for the Maidstone Fire Department, wherever that was.

bulldogboy