Millwood NY B95FSW 1144 - Ex Engine 245

General Ike

A few months back I found the thread about Gettysburg's B85F that I now own after being a member of GFD during my college years....

The attached photos are from my hometown department in Millwood, NY aprox 25 miles north of NYC. This B95F is one of only two tandem axle B model fire trucks built by Mack. The other being B95FSW 1161 which went to Gallery Chemical Co. in Pittsburgh, PA a few months after Millwood took delivery of theirs.

This was a very progressive pumper for its day with 1500gal tank, the vast majority of equipment enclosed in compartments (including the hard suction, pike poles, and preconnects covered on the hose bed and the hose reels built into protected compartments on the rear step) as well as enclosed seating for 5ff's and an early version of a pre-piped foam eductor. It was re powered sometime in the 70's or 80's with a normally aspirated diesel (I forget which) converted to an automatic and had primitive power steering added.

I rode on this rig to my first fire in 1993 and have a very fond place in my heart for it. It was replaced by a Kenworth 4 door, 3600 gallon pumper tanker in 1994 or 1995 and is now in a private collectors hands still in the Hudson Valley. I hope to re acquire the rig someday on behalf of the MFC and restore it to the level I did with Gettysburg's B85F and donate the truck back to MFC as a fully functional antique. Unfortunately from what I'm told it is nearly impossible to get a truck out of the gentlemen's collection who has it now although I'll try when finances permit.

Enjoy

post-4725-0-19207200-1357925949_thumb.jp

post-4725-0-20004200-1357926132_thumb.jp

post-4725-0-20191000-1357926283_thumb.jp

Edited by General Ike
  • Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

anyone know what the W stands for?never seen that on a chassis number for B model.my ljswx has it as well as the LMSW-Ms and Ls

I believe SW was for "Special Wheelbase" but I'm not 100%....

EDIT... SW is for Six Wheel Chassis although technically it's a ten wheeler....

Edited by General Ike

Ed Smith

Awsome truck! thanks for posting the pictures,i don't know much about fire apparatus (vintage or modern) but this is called a sedan style cab?..............................................Mark

Yes indeed it is a sedan model cab

Ed Smith

General Ike:

I've seen pictures of that Millwood Mack before; that's an impressive truck. On the cover of Harvey Eckart's book, "Mack Model B Fire Trucks" there is a picture of a tandem axle "B"

model pumper built for the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft plant in Florida. On page 115 of the same book there is a photo of a semi-cab, tandem axle "B" model pumper built for McCandless

Township, PA. Marsh Harbour Fire Brigade in the Bahamas has a 1958 tandem axle "B" model pumper. There is a photo of it on Marsh Harbour's website; the Mack is still

lettered for the Maidstone Fire Department (?). Good luck with your endeavors in obtaining this truck.

bulldogboy

Bulldogboy

I am certainly aware of other tandem B fire apparatus. The Museum informed me that 1144 and 1161 were the only SW fire apparatus produced by the factory. I'd be curious to know if they are wrong or if the other rigs were built on a B chassis by a third party.

Ed Smith

Bulldogboy I am certainly aware of other tandem B fire apparatus. The Museum informed me that 1144 and 1161 were the only SW fire apparatus produced by the factory. I'd be curious to know if they are wrong or if the other rigs were built on a B chassis by a third party.

I thought that maybe the other trucks had bodies built by someone else but I wondered why Harvey Eckart would use a Mack/non-Mack on the cover of his book.

Mack certainly knows better than me how many trucks they built. It would be great if Millwood could get this truck back some day. I always like when a fire

department maintains one (or more) of their old Mack fire trucks.

bulldogboy

• 5 weeks later...

I thought that maybe the other trucks had bodies built by someone else but I wondered why Harvey Eckart would use a Mack/non-Mack on the cover of his book.

Mack certainly knows better than me how many trucks they built. It would be great if Millwood could get this truck back some day. I always like when a fire

department maintains one (or more) of their old Mack fire trucks.

Rescue Fire Co. #1 ,Dallastown P.A. now has their 1948 type 45 back at the fire co after being gone for 36 years..a restoration is now underway Roadtrip bulldogboy