Tires?

3 hours ago, MACKS said:

Wow,that’s a lot of miles in a dump truck,right now I’m doing 120 to 200 miles a day and that’s enough for me..lol. I’ll be 71 in August..

If you're doing that many miles on a short wheelbase CL with 58's it probably feels like 500 a day.

1 hour ago, Hans Remmers said:

If you're doing that many miles on a short wheelbase CL with 58's it probably feels like 500 a day.

Lol,we have one ridiculous bad concrete rd here,other then that no problem,it’s all short haul work..

5 hours ago, MACKS said:

Wow I never even priced Michelin,doubt they even make a 12/24.5 but that’s an amazing difference in mileage..

Those Michelins go twice as far as any of the run of the mill tires that do 60000. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MACKS said:

Ya get what ya pay for right,there to pricy for me and the kind of work I do..

You have to look at the return on your investment. If they cost even double the price, you'd still be saving money because of less changing tires and less rotations. Only shitty part is if you cut one and they're new you're out more money. Maybe with this increased tire prices we can insure just the tires. 

• Like 1

I would never have dreamed of using Michelins on a dump truck. I was always happy with around 60K on something . These came on a new Peterbilt, and changed my view on them. I guess they wouldn't be for everyone, but I actually just scored 8 more a couple days ago. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, MACKS said:

That’s strange,I wore out three set of Roadmaster tires front and drive and got over 50000 each set and no issues what so ever and my truck is a short wheel base..

i was refering to the double coin, not the roadmasters...have heard the roadmasters are good tires, double coins went fast

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Plus with the xdn2's, when you're done with them they still have casing value.

You obviously have a Good Tyre Management in Place.. You could Cap your Cases using Michelin's recamic Process & do It all again & again..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

55 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

It sure hurts me all over when i back up in the dump and run some rebar thru one of them hi price tires.

It's a chance , no doubt. I often worry about that.  But with the tri-axles it's really not much different than when it happens to a big steering tire.

Man I was just looking at 12R24.5 and the options are extremely limited compared to an 11R24.5. Your basically screwed into $1200/apiece Michelins / Goodyears or some Chineseium brands with little to no information on. 12Rs carry about 550 pounds more in either dual or single configuration over a 11R tire. Have you considered going to a 11R24.5 or do you need the extra capacity?

Its funny how supply and demand works. A Michelin or Goodyear in 11R24.5 is about $500 less than the exact same tire in 12R24.5. Is there really $500 less rubber and steel in an 11R24.5??????? WTF? At least you don't need 12.00R24s. They are like $1500 each now.

• Like 2

Lots of Jersey guys run 12/24.5s . Not sure what brand they are, but I know a few guys using them.  Never heard anything about a really huge difference in the price. Never bought one myself...maybe they are that much more

3 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Its funny how supply and demand works. A Michelin or Goodyear in 11R24.5 is about $500 less than the exact same tire in 12R24.5. Is there really $500 less rubber and steel in an 11R24.5??????? WTF? At least you don't need 12.00R24s. They are like $1500 each now.

I don’t miss those big ars tube tires one bit..lol

13 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I was looking at prices after reading this post and said the same thing.  I too saw the $1400 12.00r24 Goodyear.  Ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

I've been paying for 425/65-22.5 rm-332 .....721.15 out the door front float's Cooper's tax included and no old tire fee ?

I think its a supply and demand thing. A 425 float is a very commonly used tire available almost anywhere. They benefit from commonality and competition of many different brands making them. These 12R24.5s are fairly scarce by todays standards and not many companies make tires in that size anymore. The 12.00x24 is on a whole different level of scarcity yet. I think Bridgestone is the only "name brand" company left making virgin tires in that size at least available here. That's why you see such ridiculous prices on them.....They are the only game in town.

5 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I think its a supply and demand thing. A 425 float is a very commonly used tire available almost anywhere. They benefit from commonality and competition of many different brands making them. These 12R24.5s are fairly scarce by todays standards and not many companies make tires in that size anymore. The 12.00x24 is on a whole different level of scarcity yet. I think Bridgestone is the only "name brand" company left making virgin tires in that size at least available here. That's why you see such ridiculous prices on them.....They are the only game in town.

We have a tractor with 80,000 rear's it has 14.00 X 24 tire's dry rotted often wonder the cost to replace ?

Ed

1 hour ago, blackdog2 said:

RM-852 Cooper's 11-r x 24.5 just paid   2129.51 for 4   price's going up 466.00 a piece.....

You paid 532 a piece,I just got two 12/24.5 delivered for 1500 they were 654 + tax + fet tax + 20 delivery,not at all happy with the price but I needed them for steer tires now..😤

On 4/5/2022 at 9:34 AM, blackdog2 said:

We have a tractor with 80,000 rear's it has 14.00 X 24 tire's dry rotted often wonder the cost to replace ?

Hey blackdog2 what brand/model tire do you have for the 14.00 tires?

Roadmaster by Cooper is made in China.  I like the closed shoulder but they still wear fast.  I just put 12 roadmasters on my crane truck because I never put enough miles on it to wear them out. They always dry rot before I use up the tread.  However on my lowboy tractor I did 8 new Conti HSC3 in 12x24.5 because they are a very nice made in Europe tire.  That was 3 months ago I paid $580 a tire after all taxes and fees. They last a lot longer than Chinese tires.  

11 minutes ago, BGarofalo said:

They last a lot longer than Chinese tires.

This. I can't stomach the thought of running the cheap Chinesium tires. Especially on a steer axle. A lot of guys say they are fine but I don't know. Look at the quality of everything else manufactured in that country. Why would tires be any different? They just don't hold up like a Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, etc. in my experience.