Tires?

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

This. I can't stomach the thought of running the cheap Chinesium tires. Especially on a steer axle. A lot of guys say they are fine but I don't know. Look at the quality of everything else manufactured in that country. Why would tires be any different? They just don't hold up like a Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, etc. in my experience.  

I'm running Cooper's on my Mack tri-axle's  4-year's now haven't a problem all the way around but they won't fit on anything being so wide coming so close to spring saddle or fifth wheel mounting....

Ed

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

This. I can't stomach the thought of running the cheap Chinesium tires. Especially on a steer axle. A lot of guys say they are fine but I don't know. Look at the quality of everything else manufactured in that country. Why would tires be any different? They just don't hold up like a Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, etc. in my experience.  

Not so sure about that,cooper is an American Co. they may be making some tires in China but not sure,I ran three set of the Roadmaster s and they lasted just as long as the continentals you just bought,I like the continental a lot there a nice wide tire especially for the steer axel,could you share where u bought them,that’s an awesome price..

i got 8 12-24.5 roadmasters in January and they were made in america.

also made end of december 21. the central Jersey cooper dealer is rite next door to the current big truck shop. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, MACKS said:

Not so sure about that,cooper is an American Co. they may be making some tires in China but not sure,I ran three set of the Roadmaster s and they lasted just as long as the continentals you just bought,I like the continental a lot there a nice wide tire especially for the steer axel,could you share where u bought them,that’s an awesome price..

Just looking online,looks like they are in fact making the Roadmaster in China,still an American Co but manufacturing there product in China..

14 hours ago, MACKS said:

could you share where u bought them,that’s an awesome price..

Sorry but it was not me that bought them. It was @BGarofalo that bought them for $580/tire I think he said. I was just agreeing with him that they last longer than the Chinese tires in my experience.

Personally, I run caps on my drives. For my application they are the best solution.  I run very few miles and am operating at fairly low speeds.  They last me a very long time. I purchase Michelin or Continental steer tires when needed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Maybe they are better now, but I used to drive for a big all Mack dump and pony fleet and they once got a deal and bought a load of Double Coins. We ALL changed one to two a day on the highway every trip. They were even exploding sitting parked in the shop.

For cheap tires when I owned my own dump truck I have ran Aeolus and Sailun drives with good results. But only on drives. I'm pretty firm on never running anything but Bridgestone or Michelin's on my steer axle.

You know I don’t even know what they are using on my truck but I know it’s got close to 100,000 miles on a set of tires they used last they were experimenting with a new brand somebody sold them know I’ll have to look at them Monday to see what they are they’re almost done now but yes 60,000 miles is usually what most of us get out of them…. Bob

double coins have gotten much better over the years. 

a friend has been using the atlas tires for about 10 years now. lower price, and he gets 50-75k miles out of them. 

interesting ,,,i probably mentioned my DM needs all ten when the time comes before i croak im hoping to find ten used ones,,,since the truck will probably never leave reno,,,,hopefully before i die,,,it will atleast leave my propery at one point.lol.bob

On 6/16/2022 at 12:16 PM, MACKS said:

Ended up going wit Double Coin 12-24.5, every thing is priced way up there and these are not cheep as well but best bang for the buck, I hope,they look really good but time will tell..

91A28109-9B29-48D5-85EE-425ADE3AFE04.jpeg

man,,,,those are nice lookin tires,,,,especially with the spoke wheels,,,excellent  bob

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

man,,,,those are nice lookin tires,,,,especially with the spoke wheels,,,excellent  bob

Yeah they look really good,definitely the the biggest 12-24.5 I’ve ever bought,it’s amazing the difference in size of some of these tires,these stand over 44 inches high..

3 hours ago, tjc transport said:

double coins have gotten much better over the years. 

a friend has been using the atlas tires for about 10 years now. lower price, and he gets 50-75k miles out of them. 

Also there’s a big difference between the 1100 and 1200,completely different tread and these tires are huge compared to the rest even bigger then the Roadmaster,but we’ll see how they wear..

yeah,,,as i mentioned before i used to change them back in 73 in a tire shop peabody they are huge,,,back then i didnt see many come in that big except for construction equipment ,,,,since i moved out here,,,,pretty much everything has 1100-22-5

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo speaking of peabody,,,,off the subjct but that tiny little house i grew up in,my parents paid 15 gs for it in 1960 its over 500 Gs now whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????? it doesnt even have a garage  geeeeeeeeeeesus they are up to san diego prices now,,,when i left there,you could buy a house for nothing there....bob

• Like 1

i was just teasing. 
Bob, i run the right lane 55 empty,  and 50 loaded. 

or 10 below the posted limit if it is under 65 mph, our top speed here. 

if the idiots want to go faster they can pass me.

• Like 2

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no i meant oversize loads??????out here thier all flying,,,triple flammable tankers,,,dropdecks with heavy machines,mobile homes all racing right by full speed its crazy....you would think nevada highway rules would atleast limit HM tankers to 65 bob