Tires?

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the cooper roadmasters on my trucks are all made in america. 

our cooper dealer is in the building next to us in the industrial park. 

I wasn’t sure where they ar made but I like them,I was buying them on line from simple tire,last week they were 600 for 12/24.5 and now almost 700,trying to contact them to get a good deal,I’ve been getting 50,000 + miles out of them witch I think is pretty darn good on a dump truck,they were delivered free to my door..

2 hours ago, MACKS said:

I wasn’t sure where they ar made but I like them,I was buying them on line from simple tire,last week they were 600 for 12/24.5 and now almost 700,trying to contact them to get a good deal,I’ve been getting 50,000 + miles out of them witch I think is pretty darn good on a dump truck,they were delivered free to my door..

yup, same here. 60,000 on the steer axle, 50-55k on the rear axles. 

i rotate rear axles front/back every 10k miles for even wear pattern. yes in hurts a little paying for 8 tires instead of 4 at a time, but i prefer having same wear on the rears instead of front axle 50% and the rear damn near bald. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

40 minutes ago, 880joe said:

I don't have any real experience but they told me they guarantee capping 3 times and 7 years on the carcass most other just cap 5 years old or less

Not many drive tires on dump trucks make it for 2 let alone 3 cappings. They usually have something wrong with them by the time they're worn out the first time, let alone second. Then most of the cap shops give you some excuse why your casing is worthless, then they cap it and don't put any trade marking on it and sell it to a truck stop or mobile repair service where they never see it again. Used to be not long ago, a @ $450.00 drive for a dump truck was a relatively easy way to around 60000 miles. Now ?  what ever replaced those tires hasn't quite found it's pricing yet. But I'm guessing any of those type are gonna be in the $600.00 range. 🤢

• Like 1

old company used to love recaps. 

brand new trucks had caps put on the rears before they even got lettered. 

we averaged 20-25k miles on the caps. 

the guy i have been with for the past 12 years flat out refuses to have caps in the yard. 

the cooper dealer gives us $125 for the cores last time i got tires. 

but then again, we replace tires when they got down to around 5,000 miles left on them.

and we also do not hit things or sidewall rub tires either. 

3 hours ago, Nobody454 said:

ran a set on the drives, lasted like a year. They definitely don't last as long as a big name brand. Caps last longer than that

That’s strange,I wore out three set of Roadmaster tires front and drive and got over 50000 each set and no issues what so ever and my truck is a short wheel base..

3 hours ago, 880joe said:

I don't have any real experience but they told me they guarantee capping 3 times and 7 years on the carcass most other just cap 5 years old or less

I think they are blowing smoke on you.It may have been done before but in real life tires dont live 7 years.

• Like 2

glenn akers

Yes i understand that but 7 years on the casing is not a thing you see.We have some tire saleman here if they said they breath air i would not trust them.I have been cheated by the tire shoes here and its my own fault but we only have two.The good thing about these shops here is they can get you in and out fast which when your dump trucking is a big help.Ever time i go and buy new tires he will offer 65.00 for old tires or 85.00 if he can keep and check them out.I have had as many as half of them that they say will not cap.I have better luck when i buy tires by telling him up front i know your going to screw some one so use me and get it over with.About two years ago they had a new saleman there which sold me 8 tires and first thing i told him is 16 ply only.Two days later i get to looking and i find they are 14 ply so i call him and he say well i was trying to save you some money.But if you ant used them bring them back and we will change out no charge.I ended up getting about a year out of them which with a dump truck that amounts to about 65000 miles.Around here only way i will use caps is if they put on my casings cause you cant trust these guys.I did buy some of their caps for the trailer one time and i say they will cap any thing.

• Like 1

glenn akers

4 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Yes i understand that but 7 years on the casing is not a thing you see.We have some tire saleman here if they said they breath air i would not trust them.I have been cheated by the tire shoes here and its my own fault but we only have two.The good thing about these shops here is they can get you in and out fast which when your dump trucking is a big help.Ever time i go and buy new tires he will offer 65.00 for old tires or 85.00 if he can keep and check them out.I have had as many as half of them that they say will not cap.I have better luck when i buy tires by telling him up front i know your going to screw some one so use me and get it over with.About two years ago they had a new saleman there which sold me 8 tires and first thing i told him is 16 ply only.Two days later i get to looking and i find they are 14 ply so i call him and he say well i was trying to save you some money.But if you ant used them bring them back and we will change out no charge.I ended up getting about a year out of them which with a dump truck that amounts to about 65000 miles.Around here only way i will use caps is if they put on my casings cause you cant trust these guys.I did buy some of their caps for the trailer one time and i say they will cap any thing.

Damn you guys do some trucking out there,I’m running about 25000 miles a year,well 9 months in the year..

I'd go the Double Coin route if you're running Roadmasters.  They're really not a bad tire.  I don't know about Roadmaster now but I started running Cooper Pro Series LHD (long haul drive) and found they're made in China.  That bothered me at first but they're getting good mileage.  Then of course the price jacked up.  They're now more money than my US made General HD's.  I'm still running some just to keep a comparison to the Generals.  I guess Cooper production relocated overseas after they were acquired by Goodyear.

I do about 10k miles/year on my triaxle, usually replace 2+ pairs of drive tires in a year.  I keep a pair of recaps mounted and ready to go in the garage. When that set goes on the truck  I go to Bergeys Tires and get the bald set recapped or I get a retread on one of their cases.  Once in a while I'll work in a set of new drive tires.  Truck has 11R24.5 drives, 315's on the steer and lift axle.  Steer usually gets new Continental's, the old steering tires get capped for the lift axle.  Not worth new tires, I'll just grind the tread off delivering concrete to postage stamp driveways with a long wheelbase.  Most driveways are a 3-5 point turn for me to get into.

We bought an MR688S, and that truck uses 315's for steer, lift, and drive! No way in hell is this truck ever getting new drive tires, not at 800-1000 a piece!  New 315's for the steer, but that's it for new tires on this truck. Steers from both trucks will start making their way into the drive positions.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MACKS said:

Damn you guys do some trucking out there,I’m running about 25000 miles a year,well 9 months in the year..

On a good day i can run over 400 miles a day just in the city of Tulsa.Staying on 169 and I 44 and the traffic is insane now.But i am too old to do any thing else and Doctor says to keep walking and lifting some weights so i stay in a truck.

• Like 2

glenn akers

8 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

On a good day i can run over 400 miles a day just in the city of Tulsa.Staying on 169 and I 44 and the traffic is insane now.But i am too old to do any thing else and Doctor says to keep walking and lifting some weights so i stay in a truck.

Wow,that’s a lot of miles in a dump truck,right now I’m doing 120 to 200 miles a day and that’s enough for me..lol. I’ll be 71 in August..

i used to run between 500 and 700 miles a day with the other company. this was in a 12  hour day. my average there was 125,000 miles per year. 

the past 12 years i have averaged between 50 and 200 per day. 

if i am dragging the trailer and machines around, it is on the low side. if i am milling and paving it will be higher, 150 to 200 per day.

here i put around 30,000 miles per year on the truck

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Here's my .02 cents. On a straight truck I gross 90,000 on 6 axles total. 3/4 highway miles 1/4 gravel. Double coins lasted 55,000 miles. Michelin xdn2 will make 105,000 to 120,000 miles. I rotate every 30,000 miles. Plus with the xdn2's, when you're done with them they still have casing value. I hate changing truck tires and I hate paying someone $70 to change a tire out. So I go for the Michelin. 

Wow I never even priced Michelin,doubt they even make a 12/24.5 but that’s an amazing difference in mileage..