Tires?

44 minutes ago, mowerman said:

some of these assclowns come racing up behind me and swing out at the last second,,,,one of these days some highballing jackass will take out my back box...bob

These new trucks are like rocket ships,600-700 hp automatic Transmission,they just put the pedal to the floor and go like a bat out of hell,crazy..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

oh ........no not any more. 

i used to have special weight tags (S tags) on my trailers.

the "S" tags went by tire weight rating, not registered weight. with the 79 DM-800 and Rogers 100 ton trailer, i was legal for 215,000 lbs with the 14.00-24 tires on both truck and trailer. 

the dump trucks are just registered as regular 80,000 lbs apportioned plates so we can cross state lines. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 6/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, MACKS said:

These new trucks are like rocket ships,600-700 hp automatic Transmission,they just put the pedal to the floor and go like a bat out of hell,crazy..

What are the specs on your CL? Looks like a beefy setup.....12R24.5 rubber on 58,000 rears.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, MACKS said:

I call them senior citizens trucks.

Big engine, auto trans, power everything, heated/ac seats, air tailgate, electric tarp, killer stereo with navigation, bluetooth, reverse cameras,, steering wheel controls for stereo and cruise control, and the list goes on and on and on.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

What are the specs on your CL? Looks like a beefy setup.....12R24.5 rubber on 58,000 rears.

20 front 20 drop axle and 58 rears,e-7 350/12 speed,short wheel base with a 15 foot aluminum city cobra dump body,she’s a tough somabitch ,I have a 79000 down state permit on it..

4 minutes ago, MACKS said:

20 front 20 drop axle and 58 rears,e-7 350/12 speed,short wheel base with a 15 foot aluminum city cobra dump body,she’s a tough somabitch ,I have a 79000 down state permit on it..

Nice. What rear ratio? I think City Welding and Cobra Bodies merged around 2012 but may be defunct now? I think Cobra was from somewhere in Eastern Pennsylvania and City Welding was very close to where I'm from in New Castle, PA. Did you buy truck/bed new? 

16 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Nice. What rear ratio? I think City Welding and Cobra Bodies merged around 2012 but may be defunct now? I think Cobra was from somewhere in Eastern Pennsylvania and City Welding was very close to where I'm from in New Castle, PA. Did you buy truck/bed new? 

No I bought it from the original owner in New Jersey,I forget what the ratio is maybe 5.07 I have the build sheet here somewhere,great truck,u can feel the bumps but the cab is super quiet and she runs out smooth as silk..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

Big engine, auto trans, power everything, heated/ac seats, air tailgate, electric tarp, killer stereo with navigation, bluetooth, reverse cameras,, steering wheel controls for stereo and cruise control, and the list goes on and on and on.  😁

you mean  like the old B models had !! LOL couldn't help 🤣myself 

20 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

you mean  like the old B models had !! LOL couldn't help 🤣myself 

Yup.

My b815 had fantastic heat in the summer, and even better ac in the winter..😁

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tjc transport said:

I I can’t believe how fast these fools come racing up on ramp doing 65 in just a few seconds I don’t know how they do it even with our trucks if I had one empty box I could not come racing up that quick… bob

yea, i can't figure it out either. yes they go fast. but they don't stop fast.

unless they are on their side. 

i do like to play though. one quarry i run out of has a 4 lane at the highway. 

left is left turn only, right is right turn only, and the two center lanes are straight only. 

problem is 100 yards past the intersection is a right hand turn road for a shopping center and the high school a little way down the road. 

cars all stage left center lane, cross the intersection and than cut over two lanes to make the right turn cutting off he trucks in the right center lane. 

i sit right center and stand on it when the light turns green and hang the askwholes out to dry in the left lane. 

a couple other guys have followed my lead, and there are times the cars have to stop in the left lane and wait for the trucks to all pass in the right lane before they can do the right turn from the left lane thing. 

the cops have caught on to it, and will sit there and give the cars tickets for illegal turn, an obstructing traffic if they stop to wait. 

even loaded at 80,000 lbs, our trucks are just as fast or faster off the line as most cars these days. 

from a dead stop, i can cross a 6 lane highway and be doing 45 mph on the other side. 

• Like 1

I find it interesting that in 4 pages of discussion, there hasn't been a single mention of fuel economy.  Rolling resistance plays a HUGE role in overall fuel economy.  With today's fuel prices, I don't even consider longevity. I look for lowest rolling resistance, then look for the best value based on my top picks.  At 7 or 8 dollars a gallon, 1000 dollar tires quickly pay for themselves long before they are worn out.   I understand this is more crucial to a guy running big miles OTR like myself versus a truck running 200 miles a day in and out of a gravel pit but in business it all adds up.  I spend money on good name brand tires and I get results.  My truck is at 8.54 US mpg for a 30 day average at the moment, running a 505C+.   Do the math on my fuel economy versus a guy running around at 5mpg with Chinese tires and see how how much it really costs you to run those "cheap tires".

• Like 1
  • Like 1

My 99 rd got 4 mpg.

The 05 granite expedite mileage to 5.5.

The 2020 kenworth with 565hp x15 cummins gets 7.

The new 2022 t880 with 600hp x15 is averaging 8.4 loaded 80% of the time.

The 2 kenworths have allison autos

These new computer controlled high hp engines are very efficent.

5 hours ago, tjc transport said:

My 99 rd got 4 mpg.

The 05 granite expedite mileage to 5.5.

The 2020 kenworth with 565hp x15 cummins gets 7.

The new 2022 t880 with 600hp x15 is averaging 8.4 loaded 80% of the time.

The 2 kenworths have allison autos

These new computer controlled high hp engines are very efficent.

8.4 loaded ?  Holy cow.  How many miles a day ?  I'm convinced the biggest factor to mileage is still the right foot.  You're right though, the new stuff is really efficient especially compared to how they run.

• Like 1

i average 150 miles per day Mark. some days are only 50, and others like today was 349. 

and yes, 8.4 mpg cruise set at 60 on the highway.

stop and go traffic never getting over 40mph drops mileage drastically down to around 4.5 mpg. 

it only breaks a sweat when i try climbing the millings mountain in the quarries that are straight up...

i hit bridges doing 15 on bottom and can do 60 on top if i get around the snails.. 

but that also makes the fuel usage rise real fast. so i try to be smart about it. 

the other guys are using 70-80 gallons a day, i am averaging 40 gallons for a 350 mile day like i run  today.