New here! B60T project

Welocme to the forum!

Getting excited when doing restoration steps is a good practice. Patience and being organized helps too.

Not many new parts for a B-model could be found nowadays and Watt's Mack is probably the best place to start the search. Still plenty of used stuff in people's yards, some things show up in the for sale section of the forum from time to time. Also it worth a try posting a thread with a question of a current need on here. Mack museum is closed to Covid and there's no info on the opening date so far. And taking to account they had a 2 month waiting time for a request when operated it now seems doubtful to get any info from them soon enough.

Good luck with the project.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

A B60 would have originally been a gas-powered model (Magnadyne?).  The dash suggests this, as well (no tach).

It there is a Thermodyne engine under there, that suggests 2 possibilities; (1) Someone has already swapped out the gas engine for a diesel.  In that case, the rear gearing should have been swapped out to get more speed, as the gassers were typically geared pretty deep.  Or, (2) someone may have put a good, solid B60 cab onto the chassis of a B61 that had had its cab rust away.  Would need to check the serial number on the frame to be sure.

Either way, that sure looks like a great starting point for a project!  I look forward to seeing your progress.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

B422,B60, 62,68 B70 all had gas Thermodynes. 438 464 540 707. 438 had the baby duplex and quads behind them, 464 and 540 could have had a 67 nor 77 series trans and 707 had the 72 series. the truck in the pic has a 67 series by lookin at the the shifting levers come out more tward the firewall and angle back. a Tach was an option in any B model. we even have a few B42;s that the tach drives off the distributor. that truck looks like an original gas job B60 as it still has the knob lower left by steerin column to switch the fuel tanks from left to right tanks. gas jobs didnt have a crossover like the diesels

Edited by Maddog13407
  • Thanks 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

9 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

B422,B60, 62,68 B70 all had gas Thermodynes. 438 464 540 707. 438 had the baby duplex and quads behind them, 464 and 540 could have had a 67 nor 77 series trans and 707 had the 72 series. the truck in the pic has a 67 series by lookin at the the shifting levers come out more tward the firewall and angle back. a Tach was an option in any B model. we even have a few B42;s that the tach drives off the distributor. that truck looks like an original gas job B60 as it still has the knob lower left by steerin column to switch the fuel tanks from left to right tanks. gas jobs didnt have a crossover like the diesels

Ah!  Learn something every day.  I guess I missed that there was a gas version of the Thermodyne.  Thanks for that!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

If the truck is 55 or earlier it gives me idea on the chassis number location. In 53 it was stamped at the rear end of the chassis rail not at the front.

I looked tonight and couldn't see anything.  Can you tell me more specifically where I might look on the rear end rail?

3 hours ago, BOB DINGSDALE said:

with the updraft carb @ 170 hp it's a early 55 or older. middle of 55 they went to a side draft carb @185 hp. also has low chassis number. have fun with it.we had a b-60 in march 55 with updraft carb and second b-60 in may 55 with side draft.both mack yellow log trucks

Exciting to think I might have an older truck than I originally thought!