Best of Biden

Mack Technician

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

Ha ha I can appreciate that although I didn’t think I was going to like the automatic …. Now I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread but I did shift trucks for around 44 years. Bob

I have yet to find an automatic that shifts the truck when/where/how I want it to shift...and it ends up aggrevating me more than it's worth. Either it shifts when I don't want/need it to, holds a gear when I want/need it to shift, or it selects the wrong gear & wastes time searching for the correct gear. The newer ones I've driven are too slow getting going, holding onto the lower gears far longer than necessary & revving the engine much higher than I prefer to run it...then they have to wait for the revs to drop before sliding into the next gear. Progressive shifting I can run a manual up through 4 or 5 gears before the automatic has completed it's 1st shift. The older 3-pedal ones I had the displeasure of driving for a couple months 2 years into my driving career (why I left the company I started with) would downshift until the point where it'd need the low range...then float in neutral until you gave it some throttle. Never seemed safe/legal to me, as you were coasting & not in gear. If you were trying to time traffic to make a left w/o stopping, when you'd get on the throttle to go it wouldn't...until it decided you should be in 2nd gear (I would've had it in 4th). Engine would rev to damn near redline, it would realize it screwed up & pull itself back out of gear to wait for the RPMs to drop before hitting 4th. Meanwhile, you're looking out that passenger side window eyeballing oncoming traffic hoping this thing gets its act together & finds a gear soon because you've still got 53' of trailer to pull across the lanes before that traffic gets to you. No thanks. I'll keep driving vehicles that are in the gear I need them to be in when I need them to be. If i can't, it'll be time to hang up the keys & do something else.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Bob. it not 9/16" anymore, and it was 7/16",  but now it's disc brakes,  and I think it's 10mm...  or maybe it's just........   " I don't Know Why It Wont Stop Good"    jojo

Meh. Whuddaya need brakes fer? Alls they do is slow ya down!😜

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i have not adjusted brakes in about 13 years now. 

the boss goes over the trucks every night when they get parked. 

the T880's have self adjusting brakes. the 2016 had 125,000 miles on it when sold, the 2020 had 75,000. the tandem had 8,200, and the newest triaxle has 4600 on it. 

none of them have ever had brake adjustments...... mainly because we use engine brake and not foot brakes. 

Every truck & trailer built since '94 (I think...I'd have to look) has been required to have the auto-adjusting slacks. If you have to adjust them between brake services, there is a problem that needs to be corrected. DOT will ding you twice for any out-of-adjustment brakes these days...once for being out-of-adjustment, and once for a malfunctioning auto-slack.

13 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

Meh. Whuddaya need brakes fer? Alls they do is slow ya down!😜

Exactly, Good Drivers Don't need Them. Bad Drivers Don't deserve them. .:pat:

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Haha got to agree that’s about the only thing is irritating is coming to a rolling stop have to wait for transmission to decide what it wants to do but all our trucks have up and down switches you can decide what you want most of the time

Rowdy, your description of the auto trans is a perfect explanation of the eaton fuller ultrashift and too small of an engine. 

the ultra shift uses a computer controlled clutch. step on the throttle releases the clutch, step on the brake applys the clutch. 

put someone in them that does not know how to drive and they can tear the clutch out of the truck by trying to "powerbreak" to raise rpm's for better takeoff at red light. 

a friend had 4 of them, convinced by dealer they were good. 400hp engine and 10 speed ultrashift. 

within 4 years he sold them all and replaced with cummins 505hp and allison trans. 

he now only buys 565 hp cummins after taking mine for a drive. 

loaded or empty my 565 with allison is faster than most cars off red lights, which is helpful at one quarry i run to where cars pick  the left lane and then cut off trucks to make a right turn across the highway. 

i leave hanging in the left lane, and the trucks behind me stay close enough that the cars have to stop in the left lane and wait for the right lane to be truck free to make their turn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Yeah, I'm no fan of those trucks with centrifugal clutches..  hard to hold the RPM's at 900 with my foot while trying to creep into the shop, or up on big truck ramps..  I remember many years ago, having to transport Macks that had an Eaton auto shift tranny, with a clutch pedal.. that was weird.  I remember stalling them a few times..  I was confused by not have to move a shifter..  :) 

• Like 1

I remember going across Hawk's Nest on rt. 60 in West Virginia, when we would always stop at the Catholic church in Boomer and set our brakes up. They had a big paved parking lot and I would pull in there and get my 9/16 wrench and the piece of cardboard I carried out and adjust the brakes. Lock them down and back off a quarter of a turn. You might not adjust them anywhere else, and if you did you might back them off half a turn. But I'd stop there every time I ran Hawk's Nest and it was a quarter of a turn. 🤣

Been across there many times in an F model Mack with a 50,000 lb. load of coils on. You needed to have your $#it together, nobody around here even knew what a Jake Brake was then.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

But way back around 1968 my uncle owned a jenney  station he  let me pump gas one time other than when I used to get paid I’ll never forget I put 675 worth of gas in a Cadillac. I thought that was a fortune at the time. And it pretty much was I think back now the car must’ve been almost empty. It was a big old middle 50s Cadillac. The gasoline pump had the crank on the side.

I did my time in the late 80's.. a few bucks more per hour, and usage of the lift as well .  I had a beat up 69 Camaro back then..  Ahhh,,,,  the good old days..  

• Like 2