Mack RD CAT Swap?

I have recently inherited  a 1988 Mack RDS and was wondering what I could do to up its horsepower. The truck is severely underpowered to my liking. I am used to driving a Pete with a 425 CAT. Would it be possible to put a CAT 3406e under the hood of my "88 Mack? I plan on swapping the transmission with an 8LL. Any comments, advise and help would be greatly appreciated. 

edit: I am now thinking a cat C12 would fit better. 

Edited by Nick Mack RDS

13 hours ago, Nick Mack RDS said:

I have recently inherited  a 1988 Mack RDS and was wondering what I could do to up its horsepower. The truck is severely underpowered to my liking. I am used to driving a Pete with a 425 CAT. Would it be possible to put a CAT 3406e under the hood of my "88 Mack? I plan on swapping the transmission with an 8LL. Any comments, advise and help would be greatly appreciated. 

Don't think there is near enough room for that cat. engine in a regular R model, the older R700's were used with cat and cummins engines.    terry:MackLogo:

17 minutes ago, Nick Mack RDS said:

Are you saying that the CAT engine would not fit?

No I don't think it would, the R700 hood was about 8 or 10 inches longer, I sure somebody else will post with some info .   terry:MackLogo:

Remember, that was back when Mack was rated "to the ground" horse power.  as mentioned here already, a 350 Mack should keep with a 425 Cat. We had a E6 350 that would whoop up on our 425 3406B.  & that's no Lie

• Like 2

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Back in the mid 90s I drove a CH with an E7-350 pulling a roll off trailer, weighed over 40,000 pounds empty and close to the legal limit of 80,000 loaded. Also had some Louisvilles with 425 HP Cats in the fleet, they were no faster and a good thousand pounds heavier.

• 2 months later...