Mack Cat V8 transplant

Roscoetaggart

Question

5 hours ago, Roscoetaggart said:

Hi guys, 

Just got my hands on a 3208 cat v8 motor, it was cheap so I bought it,  has anyone ever tried to put one in an r600 mack? Does it fit? Cheers 

the 3208 was a factory option in the R400 series,model R492,same hood length,just lower GVW

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, Superdog said:

the 3208 was a factory option in the R400 series,model R492,same hood length,just lower GVW

Thanks for that,  I'm guessing it doesnt bolt straight up to a mack 10 speed but definitely tempted to go that way.

I think flywheel housings and bellhousings tend to be fairly standardized. I.e. if you can put an 8ll on a Mack and a Cat, there's probably a bellhousing/flywheel housing combination that'll match a Mack 10 speed to the Cat.

Back in the 90’s. Worked at a DD dealership. We worked on a bunch of Roadway stuff. Always thought the 3208 was kinda like the 8.2 DD’s. We did a bunch of R&R on the 3208’s for them. They were better than 8.2 for sure but always told they were throw away engines. Run till they quit & replace. Really don’t know but that’s what I was told.

12 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

A 3208 is fully rebuildable.i have did a few back when.We always bored the block and installed dry sleeves and used standard pistons.The 1100 series was not rebuildable.

Long time ago; don’t remember but I bet it was costly to bore & install sleeves. I could see on 1,cylinder but all 8? 

On 7/26/2019 at 1:35 AM, Superdog said:

I saw this truck in an old data book but I always wondered if they ever actually built any of them. It seemed like a better choice than the Scania motor but they weren't exactly popular either.

1 hour ago, AITG said:

I saw this truck in an old data book but I always wondered if they ever actually built any of them. It seemed like a better choice than the Scania motor but they weren't exactly popular either.

They made 135 of the R492 models.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If you ever been next to a 1160 starting up when it was cold god help you we would start them up in the shop and it would stink us out. The 3208 was a better engine design but they were put in trucks that they should never have been in. We used them in ford flat bed single axle 33,000 gross they worked good. If an engine needed 8 sleeves we figured it was better to get a block exchange. Cat had some pretty good deals years ago on reman's. You could get a reman 3406 head and 9 times out of 10 it was new for not a lot of difference money wise when doing a valve job with new valves.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 41chevy said:

They made 135 of the R492 models.

Thanks for that information. Do you know if a specific fleet wanted this setup? I remember seeing a U model with a 903 Cummins once... I think some fleet on the East Coast wanted them for some unimaginable reason.

2 hours ago, AITG said:

Thanks for that information. Do you know if a specific fleet wanted this setup? I remember seeing a U model with a 903 Cummins once... I think some fleet on the East Coast wanted them for some unimaginable reason.

My MACK production papers only list model call outs, years of production and number built.  Probably not one specific company as the 135 built  were spread out over from 1975 to 1981. There was also a run  40 R492R models built from 1976 to 1980.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 hours ago, AITG said:

Do you know if a specific fleet wanted this setup?

A large customer for the Mack DM-492 was the US Air Force. 

The trucks were built as 5,000 gal. refueling tankers with the 3208 and automatic transmission.  The DM-492 were built between 1975-84 with 1,536 units produced.  I would say that almost all the DM-492 trucks probably went to this application.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

There were three of them at the Peoria, IL regional airport supporting the helo squadrons based there. Good running trucks that wouldn't get out of their own way.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

From my use the 3208 is the worst Cat engine ever made and probably one of the worst diesel engines ever made! I hated them in Louisville Fords! They had no power and my 534 Gas would out pull it. The only way I would be willing to work on a 3208 would be to remove it. I would rather run a 671 Detroit in its place! At least it would sound good!

Years ago at one of my first laboring jobs as a teenager we had one in a 1988 GMC Top Kick dump truck. 33,000 GVW with a 2 speed rear end. I couldn't drive it because it was a CDL truck but everyone who did abused the ever loving snot out of that truck/engine. Always overloaded. Under maintained and just down right abused. Some of the guys did it intentionally because the rest of the truck was just utter GM junk and they didn't like driving it. That thing never missed a beat. That engine would start and run no matter what. The company ended up selling it years later to a farmer who just wanted it for his property. The frame got bad rust jacking and nobody would pass the state inspection on it. Ran like a sewing machine when the guy took it away. That's my only experience with a 3208 but have always heard they were underpowered for their size (10.0L) and not "good" engines.

• Like 1

every engine in the day had a Nickname; DD =carry 10 gallons of oil were ever  you go. cummins = a boat anchor. cat == take out a mortgage if you want one. the 1160 was called a throw away; replaced by the 3208. i did a swap for a customer had a ford dump single axle. saved the best for last  ;;;;Mack = now there's an engine ..:bmod_dump: before the days of electronic intervention on engines . $$ were important for owners ; it worked use it

Only Cats I remember in a truck were a 3406 and a 3408 that we had.  They seemed to hold up okay.  The 3408 pulled great, but the mileage was lousy.  We always laughed that it seemed to use as much fuel empty as it did loaded.  So, always keep it loaded!  Rebuilds on them were ridiculous, though.

Now the D342 in the D8 and the 3306 in the D6 and some D7s were pretty tough.  But, that's a different forum...

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

can't compare the 3406/ 3408 with the 1100/3208. cat 34 series were real truck  engines. the 11/32's were cheap engines (favored by some fleets)used to make a truck move. a LITTLE difference in fuel cost then vs now 

Yeah, we never had those "throw-away" models.  I heard about them from time to time, but never sat behind one.  Doesn't sound like I missed anything!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."