oil change after 30 years sitting

binderbob

if it has the period correct luberfinder it likely has to fill up that whole filter assembly  before you start to see any oil pressure. thats how it was on my END711. you might be able to pull the turbo oil feed hose and pressure the block with oil first if you want to play it safe? I think there are some aux ports on the side of the block as well where you could force oil into it?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Had a guy come in to the dealership with just such a truck that was started after decades and was smoking black. I cleaned 30 lbs of mouse nests and droppings out of the air cleaner housing.  

Great advice...check all intake pipes and inside the turbo. When I start a truck that's been sitting a long time, I like to pull the valve covers and pour the new oil over the rockers so it runs down over the lifters, crank, etc. Pressurizing the oil passages would be even better.

• Like 1

Is that cab as straight in person as the picture looks to be? Looks real nice!!👍👍 terry:MackLogo: On a side note I really like those G models.    Makes want to make an offer on it!!

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

Heads up algae grows in diesel, or at least in the new diesel, so you may want to make liberal use of the fuel tank drain and flush the tank out real well. They make a fungicide additive that kills the algae but it doesn't dissolve it. It'll clog things up pretty good. Flush tank, change fuel filters, put some fresh fuel in it and pump new fuel through the system via the (hopefully equipped, but if not it's easy to install) fuel hand primer pump. You'll want to prefill the new fuel filters, and make sure you lubricate the fuel filter orings. And make sure old oring comes off. Never know with a 30 year old sitter.... (2 fuel filters)

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

I'd watch picking them up.  The pages might be all stuck together................Ewwwwwwww.

All these years and I'm still waiting to find that broke down VW bus full of cheerleaders................LMAO!!!!!

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I would change the oil prior to cranking, if at all possible remove the injectors first and spray Kroil,or Thrust, or PB Blaster in each cylinder prior to cranking  do this for a few days to free up the rings . Then crank the engine with the injectors out (no compression) when you have achieved good oil pressure then reinstall the injectors and light it up

• Like 1