Driver shortage puts more unsuitable individuals behind the wheel

kscarbel2

Autoblog / December 28, 2015

This is what happens when you have a serious shortage of truckers. A truck driver attempted to cross a historic bridge in Indiana on Christmas Day only to find a 136-year-old bridge that was no match for her 21.5-ton truck.

Mary Lambright, who gained her CDL in May of this year, missed her exit while hauling a load of water bottles last week.

After several attempts to get back on the freeway, Lambright found herself at an old iron bridge that spanned across Lick Creek in Paoli, Indiana.

This bridge was not an unknown element to Lambright. After all, it was built in 1880.

She told police that she had crossed the bridge while driving her personal vehicle many times, WHAS11 reported.

She was also aware of the six-ton weight limit thanks to a sign posted near the entrance to the bridge.

The sign even said 'no semis'.

Still, she attempted to cross it in a tractor trailer with 43,000 pounds of water bottles in tow.

Perhaps she was expecting a Christmas miracle. It's more likely, however, that she didn't do the math. If she had, she'd have known that 43,000 pounds equals a whopping 21.5 tons. She told police she wasn't aware of the weight of the cargo she was hauling, which seems like truck-driving 101 stuff to us.

First, she lost the top of the truck thanks to the bridge's low rafters.

Undeterred, she continued until the bridge then did what bridges do when they're overloaded to the extreme - it collapsed.

Lambright and her 17-year-old cousin who was riding with her in the cab escaped with no injuries. She was cited for reckless operation of a tractor trailer and disregarding traffic signs. These tickets probably won't break her bank account, and Lambright will most likely be allowed by the state to keep her CDL. Her job with Louisville Logistics on the other hand, might collapse as quickly as an overladen bridge

21.5 tons IN the truck...plus the 15 or so tare weight of the truck equals 36 or 37 tons ACTUAL weight. Not bad...only 30 tons overweight. Company I used to be leased to had a bridge collapse a split second after a VERY lucky driver made it across. Bridge was rated for 40 tons and the first thing the DOT did was weigh the truck. At 79,500 pounds, the driver received no citations and the company didn't have to pay. Would have been a different story had he been overweight.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Young gal 23 years old started driving in May... She has enough experience to start training the 18 year olds the big fleets want to recruit. This has nothing to do with trucking... I seem to remember knowing in about 1st grade that trucks are much bigger and heavier than cars

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Challenger what do you think is the cause of short # of mechanics.I think my self is cause the younger guys don't like the dirt and grease they have to get on them.Before I retired feightliner has a student program going on and was buying them a starter tool set if they would go to the state trade school.They had to work nights and did not make much money.I rememeber at the time I left they said out of the last maybe 27 students they hired full time only 3 of then stayed on.

glenn akers

Funny story.I was working one Sat. when one of the new recruits came up to me asking Sir if I dropped a socket that was sitting on top of a tire were would it go cause I cant find it.I said ok which tire was it on and what size socket was it.He replys it was a 1/2 and it was sitting on top of the right front tire and heard it drop but can not find it.I told him if he has another one just like it to sit it up there and let me knock it off while it watchs were it goes.He did it. I have put my time in on trucks so I think I can have alittle fun with them.There was not a dull moment at work unless I was only one there.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Funny story.I was working one Sat. when one of the new recruits came up to me asking Sir if I dropped a socket that was sitting on top of a tire were would it go cause I cant find it.I said ok which tire was it on and what size socket was it.He replys it was a 1/2 and it was sitting on top of the right front tire and heard it drop but can not find it.I told him if he has another one just like it to sit it up there and let me knock it off while it watchs were it goes.He did it. I have put my time in on trucks so I think I can have alittle fun with them.There was not a dull moment at work unless I was only one there.

Sometimes I wish u had done an apprenticeship after I left school.

Other times, I'm glad I didn't!

shortage of mechanics????

we have about 80 apprentices at work... I wouldn't have hired 90% of them..!!!! every time I turn around to show them how to do something they got their thumbs all over the phone.... one day I locked a phone in my toolbox, the dickhead complained to the Supervisor and I was given a verbal warning..!!! so... no more apprentices work with me, I've banned them, their loss as I am very willing to share 45 years of knowledge with them... the will to work has gone with this 'entitled' generation, but no problem spending the good wages..... and don't get me wound up about the 'counter warmers' in the parts department..

BC Mack

Dont even get me started on phones and apprentices Im a electrician by trade and things got a bit tight a few years ago and went back to been a sparky was I in for a shock at apprentices and telephones little so and so's text me questions from the other side of a wall then photos about which wire goes were they only did it one day phones got left at the shop after that your getting paid to work man up and start working lazy so and so's after a month or so in Pauls old fashioned style education they turned the bend and turned out really good

Just goes to show they develop pride and drive when people stopped mothering them and treated them the way I was when young tough but firm

Paul

One thing is for sure - if someone don't want to do a dirty or just "dusty" job it means he can avoid it and be lucky at the same time.

So it means he has some clean job or has income enough with no job at all.

Observing that fact we get the conclusion the world became different and no need of a hard labour nowadays.

Hope it will change further to force those lazy assholes to move their points they use to be sitting on.

Plenty of them overhere either and more and more every year.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Challenger what do you think is the cause of short # of mechanics.I think my self is cause the younger guys don't like the dirt and grease they have to get on them.Before I retired feightliner has a student program going on and was buying them a starter tool set if they would go to the state trade school.They had to work nights and did not make much money.I rememeber at the time I left they said out of the last maybe 27 students they hired full time only 3 of then stayed on.

My grandson for as long as I remember wanted to work on diesel trucks. Took as many Tech Courses as he could, applied to Wyo Tech and ended up working for HO Penn.

The High School "Career Counselor" did all he could to talk him out of it, including making it difficult to apply to Wyo Tech and talking to his parents and to me. (that didn't go well) His basic line was "you don't want to be a grease monkey or a "stupid" mechanic"".Best was he told him "that's immigrant work" I got to have him talk to me,. I asked 2 simple questions. How much money do you make a year and how many paid in full houses do you own? Told him I'm a stupid Mechanic and own a half dozen houses, money in the bank and no bills. Got up and left his office.

That's the reason no techs in not just vehicle repair but plumber, carpenters and most other hands on fields.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hell, I was going to go to school to be an auto mechanic...parents gave me the same cock-n-bull story. Talked me into Forestry as a major (Eagle Scout, loved the outdoors, etc...). $25K in student loans later, I had a piece of paper. Closest I've come to using it? I drove a log truck for a year. All my wrench turning has been on a "figure it out as I go" basis, as I was talked out of the vocational training I had wanted. Oh well. I still sometimes think about what it would take to change course...but the money I'm making now wouldn't be achievable as a mechanic for a good many years 'til I drummed up enough experience to open my own shop and built a solid reputation and had a steady stream of folks bringing me their cars to wrench on...and even then, I'm not sure it would compare. Granted, there'd be no DOT to worry about, but there's BS to deal with in every industry.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!