New to the fourm, and macks. Looking for my first B model

Rust, rust ,and more rust. Seriously, the B's are notorious for rusty cabs, particularly floors and cab corners. Unless you are a body man it is usually easier to fix mechanical issues than it is to correct a seriously rusted out cab.

Will this be the first antique truck for you?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Welcome to the board.

Yup. If you are not a body man, then try to find one that is from a dry climate. I put a new floor in my truck. Not that hard to do with basic hand tools and a welder. There are NO replacement panels available so you have to make anything you need.

Gearing. Find one that will run 55mph comfortably. Many won't.

Maxi brakes are a plus. Those old hand brakes are not the best. Finding one already converted is good.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Look for one with a nice frame. Over the years so many of these truck get altered from what they originally were for. Frames get chopped, welded, etc. I prefer a single frame as then everything is visible and no hidden rust. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes this will be my first truck. I looked at two today, and of course, they were rusty floors, everything else looked good on both. One had a unishift transmission, the other had a duplex. I'll have to look up maxi brakes and see what to look for there. I may be getting in over my head, but I love learning, and this should be a great learning experience.

Buy the best one you can afford.

That is the best advice you will get. Even if you spend $20 or $30K on a very nice truck it will turn out to be cheaper that what it will cost you to bring a derelict back to life that was free.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Maxi Brakes are spring brakes. Very easy to tell. If the truck still has a big hand brake handle in front of the seat, keep looking. The rear axle will have large coffee can sized air chambers that are the spring brakes. MUCH better holding power then the hand brake.

T1624DD+Spring+Brake+Chamber.jpg

There will be a control knob on the dash that controls them.

$_35.JPG

They were mandated in the 60's, but many of these old B models still have hand brakes if they weren't used commercially.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I hardly think not having maxi's is a make or break deal. I dont work my truck and prefer that it doesnt have them, I guess prefer to have one as original as possible. Kind of goes with the allure of driving a 50yr old truck. I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with the truck, as others said its always possible to upgrade when needed.

• Like 1

Mine has been converted to spring brakes. I prefer and appreciate the original stuff but don't plan to go back as the hand brake stuff is long gone and I don't imagine is too easy to round up. Rust is a major problem so avoid it unless you have time and skills. I'd aim for a running and driving unit if possible...Running for sure. Tires are expensive as are most things on them...As Jim said above, buy the best one you can afford...get the most value while you are at it...don't get robbed either.

Welcome to the hobby. Lots of opinions and many ways to go. Original. Unrestored. Stock. Upgraded etc. good body is important but some look terrible in pictures but are real solid. Some have nice paint but rust bubbling up right under the surface.

Single axle or tandem?

Day cab or sleeper?

Work truck or tractor?

What are you looking for?

Dayton wheels (spokes where just the tire and rim come off) or Budds (solid wheel like a car, lots of choices, steel or aluminum)

70 series - big exposed aluminum radiator.

Cabs - on the 70 series you can get the rounded B cab or what folks call the "L" cab just like the older LJ series.

Do you like tinkering, turning a wrench, or just driving?

As Mike said everything is expensive but there are lots of used parts if you look, but NOS can be crazy expensive.

Know what you want and look at a lot to learn before you buy. The higher price between each level can be a big savings in the long run.

Look forward to hearing and seeing details of your search - pictures are always welcome! Good luck!

Guys, this is great information. Let me just give you the run down on why I want one. My inlaws are into trucking. My brother own and operated a tri axle peterbilt, my father in law is a old truck driver, and my wife's uncle owns and operates a flat bed. (Pete) I have always kinda liked old macks since I was a kid. Anyway, I also like old tractors, and own an old International Farmall 666 I like to take to shows I own a old 1994 Dodge 2500 5 speed 12v Cummins. I do not enjoy driving a 3/4 ton truck eveyday. I have had thoughts about selling my 2500, and buying a 1/2 ton pickup to drive everyday. Then buying me a old B model Mack to eventually fix up, and pull my tractor's to shows.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, this is great information. Let me just give you the run down on why I want one. My inlaws are into trucking. My brother own and operated a tri axle peterbilt, my father in law is a old truck driver, and my wife's uncle owns and operates a flat bed. (Pete) I have always kinda liked old macks since I was a kid. Anyway, I also like old tractors, and own an old International Farmall 666 I like to take to shows I own a old 1994 Dodge 2500 5 speed 12v Cummins. I do not enjoy driving a 3/4 ton truck eveyday. I have had thoughts about selling my 2500, and buying a 1/2 ton pickup to drive everyday. Then buying me a old B model Mack to eventually fix up, and pull my tractor's to shows.

Pic of the 666 please....!

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.