Filters

b61mack

Don't know if theres all ready a topic on what brand of filters everybody uses, just wandering what you guys are using for oil & fuel filters. I have been using Mack and NAPA filters for a long time with no problems just wandering if one filter is any better than the other.

Have no problems with Napa. If you've had no problems, why change? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

fleetguard builds some great filters but unless you are in a enviroment that requires a top line filter, save your money and keep using what you are using now.

I know i just started a war ..... but cut them apart and compare to the others.

I took a 2013 Freightshaker to get warranty work the other day and the guy working on it said he wouldn't use NAPA filters, If I didn't have any Mack filters I always used Napa filters with no problems. I bought 2 Carquest oil filters and they say Baldwin on them. Thanks for the replies.

All ways have used Napa filters and never an issue.
I stock up once a year from http://www.fleetfilter.com as the Napa a filters are considerable cheaper from there. I get filters for everything from my jeep to the F-model. They also sell Baldwin and luber-finer.

Example fuel filter wix 3419 is $29.70 at my local Napa and is $16.50 from www.fleetfilter.com. I stock up and come out much cheaper even with shipping for the exact same filter.

Edited by 68-f-model

All ways have used Napa filters and never an issue.

I stock up once a year from http://www.fleetfilter.com as the Napa a filters are considerable cheaper from there. I get filters for everything from my jeep to the F-model. They also sell Baldwin and lubber-finer.

Example fuel filter wix 3419 is $29.70 at my local Napa and is $16.50 from www.fleetfilter.com. I stock up and come out much cheaper even with shipping for the exact same filter.

I buy from them to no problems with the filters I used.

I went to buy filters at the Mack dealer last year and they were out of the fuel and coolant so they gave me Donaldson. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal, even said it was the same price :idunno:

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 2 weeks later...

I guess we're all thinking about filters. I was going to change the spin on fuel filter on the Cummins NTC 855 (small cam). Looks like only the one. Any experience with priming or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I lean towards Donaldson and Fleetguard nowadays, who are dedicated to the design and manufacture of high quality filters sold under their own brand.

Many can benefit from buying the premium spec fuel and oil filters which have the more advanced filtering media (filters are so much cheaper than overhauls).

For example, using the advanced Donaldson “Blue” filter range (http://www.donaldsonfilters.com/pages/products/extended_service.aspx).

And Fleetguard’s “StrataPore” filtering media remains cutting edge (https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/lube/filtration.html).

FYI, here’s a quick list of the filter manufacturers in the U.S. market.

Affinia Group (Dana sold its filter business to Cypress Group subsidiary Affinia in 2004)

Wix

Napa
Alliance (Freightliner aftermarket brand)

Champion Laboratories (As a UCI Int’l subsidiary, Champion was acquired by New Zealand’s Rank Group in 2010 when it bought UCI)

AC Delco

Bosch
Ford

K&N
Luberfiner

Mobil 1

Mopar

Napa

STP
Valvoline

Clarcor (formerly J.L. Clark Manufacturing Co.)

Baldwin (since 1981)

Caterpillar-branded filters (since 2004)

Hastings (since 1995)

Cummins Filtration (always a premium product)

Fleetguard

Donaldson Company Inc. (Founded in 1915, Donaldson remains a profitable American company in today’s unforgiving global arena that delivers with superior products)

Donaldson

UCI-Fram (Honeywell International sold Fram to New Zealand’s Rank Group in 2011, who unsuccessfully tried to dump it in 2014)

Fram

Napa

Mann+Hummel

Mann+Hummel

Purolator (ArvinMeritor sold Purolator to Bosch and Mann+Hummel in 2006. M+H bought out Bosch’s stake in 2013).

• Like 2

I guess we're all thinking about filters. I was going to change the spin on fuel filter on the Cummins NTC 855 (small cam). Looks like only the one. Any experience with priming or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have always filled fuel filters with marvel mystery oil before spinning them on. On my international the Webb water separator was mounted right in the way of the primer plunger. On my big tractor there was a Racor filter that interfered with the primer. The Mack is not blocked by anything and is easy to get to but old habits die hard.

I have used CarQuest filters for yearsand had good luck with them, and they were made by Wix until I bought filters for the Mack this spring and I see that Baldwin is making them for CarQuest now. I never really used Baldwin filters much before but a lot of guys have and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. They are made in the USA and so are Wix filters. I would stay away from Fram filters they are made elsewhere and I've seen a lot of them spring leaks.

I have used CarQuest filters for yearsand had good luck with them, and they were made by Wix until I bought filters for the Mack this spring and I see that Baldwin is making them for CarQuest now. I never really used Baldwin filters much before but a lot of guys have and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. They are made in the USA and so are Wix filters. I would stay away from Fram filters they are made elsewhere and I've seen a lot of them spring leaks.

I have used CarQuest filters for year I've had good luck with them, and they were made by Wix until I bought filters for the Mack this spring and I see that Baldwin is making them for CarQuest now. I never really used Baldwin filters much before but a lot of guys have and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. They are made in the USA and so are Wix filters. I would stay away from Fram filters they are made elsewhere and I've seen a lot of them spring leaks.

I have used CarQuest filters for year I've had good luck with them, and they were made by Wix until I bought filters for the Mack this spring and I see that Baldwin is making them for CarQuest now. I never really used Baldwin filters much before but a lot of guys have and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. They are made in the USA and so are Wix filters. I would stay away from Fram filters they are made elsewhere and I've seen a lot of them spring leaks.

Cut a new CarQuest and Wix in half and see what you're getting. You might never buy one again.

Baldwin's premium filters will serve you well. However, do NOT assume that the filters Baldwin parent Clarcor is supplying to Carquest under contract is the same internally as any red Baldwin-branded filter. Cutting two in half will be another rude awakening.

The day of the last generation technology filter (the low price CarQuest and Wix) has come and gone.

If you value your truck, pay up for a quality filter. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy to protect your livelihood.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with baldwins 40yr ago my uncle lost a new 3208 due to a baldiwn busting and they put a new motor in for him. that said in some of my new off road applications and new cummins motors baldwin does not make the filter. For those I use Wix

• 5 years later...