Memorial Day

41chevy

As a veteran this weekend is a time that is very important to me and my family, In 238 years my family has fought in most of our wars. Once on the wrong side and once on both sides, so I figured I would post this. The local school always has the students write their thoughts and ideas of Memorial Day. This was one of their works. Click it to make it bigger. Paul

attachicon.gif2014-Memorial-Day-Poems.jpg

Many thanks to you and all the Vets!

BULLHUSK

I think the citizens of the U.S.A. made a big turnaround on how they treat the Vets. When I came home from Vietnam we were considered outcasts by some not all by any means. Now most everyone I talk to or hear comments about Vets are positive. A lot of liberals still do not like the military but it is necessary now as much as ever before. I personally do not trust the leaders of some countries.A Leopard does not change it spots.Just my opinion.The Veterans and their Families deserve the best treatment not a handout but a fair break. Joe D.

• Like 2

Thank you for your service,Joe D. I thought the way you guys got treated was a damn shame! I was just a kid (born in '61) during that war,and couldn't understand why people were being so hateful to our servicemen. It did not happen in our house (having a Vet for a Dad). I am glad the public has a different view on returning war Vets now.ABOUT DAMN TIME!! I agree with the taking care of the Vets and their families,it should be a PRIORITY!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Thanks to all that served. I consider this one of the most important Days in the Year. I did not Serve in the military but Have always flown the flag in front of my house and give the utmost respect to my country and those that have served. I Did a trip into Galena IL this weekend and the many little towns across Rt20 in northern IL had flags on both sides as you passed thru. Saw many Grave yards decorated with flags. Today I was happy to see a boy scout troop decorating the local cemetery.

• Like 1

I think the citizens of the U.S.A. made a big turnaround on how they treat the Vets. When I came home from Vietnam we were considered outcasts by some not all by any means. Now most everyone I talk to or hear comments about Vets are positive. A lot of liberals still do not like the military but it is necessary now as much as ever before. I personally do not trust the leaders of some countries.A Leopard does not change it spots.Just my opinion.The Veterans and their Families deserve the best treatment not a handout but a fair break. Joe D.

I deplaned in California and was spit on and called things I won't repeat. went to the local VFW and was denied permission to join because the WWII vets considered us" losers". I would never tell anybody I was a Vietnam Veteran for over 35 years. I never got a welcome home or a simple thank you until 2005.

The current administration and Congress are the people and the children of the people who were the people so vocal against us in the 60's and 70's.

That said if I knew than what I know now, I would still have came when my country called. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul,

Thanks for your service (and all the other persons who served). I don't care what the cause or reason but when people are on the line being shot at, etc. - I applaud and admire you!!!!

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yes, all who served deserve our heartfelt thanks and respect.

In WWII my dad in Hawaii, an uncle in the airforce, another uncle in the landing at Anzio, an uncle in Belgium, and both grandfathers worked for a while at the Navy Yard in Philadelphia where 53 ships were built. They saw some horrific stuff but never spoke of it after the war. Quiet heros that did what they needed to do. And so for all of our vets before and since.

You may have ssen this video before when I posted it last year, but if not, definitely worth seeing. The music is quite moving too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7HPQM0Jgg

Yes, all who served deserve our heartfelt thanks and respect.

In WWII my dad in Hawaii, an uncle in the airforce, another uncle in the landing at Anzio, an uncle in Belgium, and both grandfathers worked for a while at the Navy Yard in Philadelphia where 53 ships were built. They saw some horrific stuff but never spoke of it after the war. Quiet heros that did what they needed to do. And so for all of our vets before and since.

You may have ssen this video before when I posted it last year, but if not, definitely worth seeing. The music is quite moving too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7HPQM0Jgg

My dad was at Anzio.5th Army, 3rd Division,7 infantry. He went from Tunisia to Bergesgarten, He He went overseas in 1942 for Operation Torch and came into NYC on Thanksgiving Day 1946. Never talked about his experiences until I came home from service with my CIB. That was the key to him talking to me. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My uncle served for a while under Patton. Said he was one crazy SOB but he and the other men loved him and his spirit and would (and did) follow him anywhere. Makes you wonder where are the men of that caliber today? I don't see them in Washington. A veritable dearth of leadership... I remember George Carlin talking about the "pussification."