Saved another G model

hello i have just joined bmt im not great on pc. so please bear with me. the reason i joined is because on my way to a car show in nc. i saw a old single axle r model mack in someones parking lot. i havent seen a single axle r model in 25 yrs or so. my family had a trucking business in nyc. and my father and my uncles ran r and b and f model trks. they swore by them, everything on the body would rattle off. they rode like tanks but you couldnt kill them. i drove a b model and r model for my father for 12 yrs. when my father passed away i got a tatoo of an r model on my arm in his memory. i always thought of getting one but could not find one i was told most of them went overseas. the onhes that i drove all had inline 6cyl. they ran forever. the single axle i found is supposedly a 1969rmodel 600 it has no title it is all there. it has a v8 in it. that sounds like a lot of mtr for a single axle. the man said it hasnt run for a while. he went and got 2 batterys and believe it or not it started right up. it blew out grey white smoke. all the guages work and the truck is all there. i do body work and from my examination cab looked good. some holes around rain gutter floor looks good and cab mounts look great. ive been told those mounts usually rot away. can any body tell me more about this truck . he said he would sell me the truck for 2,500' need help. thanks

What does Superdog do for fun on his birthday ???? Drag home an old Mack of course. Like most things I do,there's a long story with it,so bear with me. Years ago,at least 25 maybe a few more,I decided I wanted a G model to fix up . At the time,I'd not yet discovered ATHS or ATCA and computers were something that NASA used,so I placed a wanted ad in Hemmings . Only got 2 responses,one from a guy in OR or WA that had a nice s/a G73,but it was too far away to consider at the time. The other was from a guy in Theodosia ,MO ,said he had a restorable one . It just so happened that my Grandpa and Grandma were taking a trip to Branson in a couple weeks,and since it was fairly close by,he would look it over for me. He found it,looked it over and said no way was it worth what it would cost to get it home,let alone what he wanted for it,but he took some pics and that was that. Flash forward to last month,I was cruising Craigslist and ran across a '69 Pete conv.for sale in Theodosia,MO. A friend of mine had a '68 get really messed up in a tornado last year,so I called him up to see if he was interested. In the meantime,upon looking the ad pics over entirely,I spot the corner of a G Mack in the background. So I called the old guy up and asked about the G,said he was just about ready to scrap it and would gladly sell it too,so I made a deal on both trucks and my buddy went and picked them up yesterday.I picked my Mack up from him today,its rough,but theres more than enough good parts to cover what it cost,but the fact that it's been there all those years waiting on me makes it priceless. I know,I know I'm messed up..

Don't know the exact year,but it's G733LST1108 . Been chopped down to a single axle sometime in it's life. No engine but it has what looks like a R96 Fuller trans. The rear end is a heavy top load Timken.

Great find Mike, its been waiting along time to make its way home!

hello i have just joined bmt im not great on pc. so please bear with me. the reason i joined is because on my way to a car show in nc. i saw a old single axle r model mack in someones parking lot. i havent seen a single axle r model in 25 yrs or so. my family had a trucking business in nyc. and my father and my uncles ran r and b and f model trks. they swore by them, everything on the body would rattle off. they rode like tanks but you couldnt kill them. i drove a b model and r model for my father for 12 yrs. when my father passed away i got a tatoo of an r model on my arm in his memory. i always thought of getting one but could not find one i was told most of them went overseas. the onhes that i drove all had inline 6cyl. they ran forever. the single axle i found is supposedly a 1969rmodel 600 it has no title it is all there. it has a v8 in it. that sounds like a lot of mtr for a single axle. the man said it hasnt run for a while. he went and got 2 batterys and believe it or not it started right up. it blew out grey white smoke. all the guages work and the truck is all there. i do body work and from my examination cab looked good. some holes around rain gutter floor looks good and cab mounts look great. ive been told those mounts usually rot away. can any body tell me more about this truck . he said he would sell me the truck for 2,500' need help. thanks

If it runs its worth what he is asking if it has all its major parts

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 2 weeks later...

if he gets everything fixed,gonna drive it.It runs 65 mph really easy and drives good too , I'm hoping the oil leak isn't anything too serious,he was pretty sure it was a gasket that's between the block and bellhousing. I guess on the older Cummins engines,there was a cork gasket for something under there . It had a little drip when we stopped in town to put in fuel,I didn't think it looked to serious,we were only going 45 miles,it was full of oil and I've driven old trucks with leaking rear mains that dripped worse. but by the time we were 2/3rds of the way there,the Jake quit and oil pressure dropped a little,so Mikey pulled over and it had oil everywhere. Still just a drip at idle. Dumped in a couple gallon and pressure came back so we limped it in the last 15 miles. Probably shoulda worried about the oil leak first,but we had to get the parts truck off the trailer I'd borrowed so I could get it returned,so did the hub swap first.