Mack Dump truck search nearing the end

I have a 79 R model tractor that has only 70,000 orignal miles on it.We have owned it since new.Looking at your truck it loks like it was well kept.I would look over the frame and make sure there are no bad cracks,or any other issues.The motor and trans well they are what they are without having to go through them.My truck has 38,000 lbs rears and we used it with the other 19 of them to pull dump trailers.The truck that I kept out of the bunch,I took a load over to the landfill in NJ that weighed in at 113,000.They were all loaded in the 80,000 to 90,000 everyday except on Saturday then we wouldn't leave them leave the scale unless they were in the range of 95,000 to 105,000.We never had any issues with the trans or rears.You are thinking about now what the hell we were hauling.We had a sewer plant job for the city of Phila.and we had to haul a million and a half yds of waste to the landfills of Nj.We were getting about 12-15 overweight tickets aday.Saturday would make up for the other 5 days.We were running 30 of our own TT,along with 100-125 owner opertors.

• Like 1

SWEEEET!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

need to let engine revs drop about 800 revs between gears when going up and raise them about 800 going down through the gears you will probably never need deep reduction so just leave it in direct watch the tacho to start with it will become a piece of cake fairly quickly good luck

Paul

• Like 1

I'm not sure, I gave him the serial and thats what he told me. It was pretty cool though, the trucks was bought new from them by one of the larger contractors at the time an he remembers it. Said the guy ordered it for his personal use and was used around the farm etc. Supposidly wasn't put in the fleet. I'm can't varify anything cause the original owner is with his maker but I do plan on trying to find out. I'll get what ever you guys need to help varify the engine. Thanks!

By the way, this truck is awsome!!

Looks like I'm going to name her Mystery. ..lol The guy I bought it from said he was told it was special order, again I don't know. I wouldn't mind having the info from the mack musem, that would be nice to have. Here's a couple more pics or clues. I can take more pics or get different numbers tomorrow if it'll help us figure it out. I felt like the rears were heavier too.

post-5458-0-29872500-1393383920_thumb.jp

post-5458-0-31813900-1393384104_thumb.jp

• Like 1

what dealer ran that number? ay dealer that serviced that truck since new should know what it is and def what an R685 is. def a 237 with no intercooler present, and def not 44 rears with those bigger spokes. the older 38's had coned and the same hubs as 44, just the 44's had the bracing on the housing.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg