Mack Dump truck search nearing the end

what dealer ran that number? ay dealer that serviced that truck since new should know what it is and def what an R685 is. def a 237 with no intercooler present, and def not 44 rears with those bigger spokes. the older 38's had coned and the same hubs as 44, just the 44's had the bracing on the housing.

Are you saying they are 38's or 44's?

That is absolutely NOT a 300 Plus.

Looks to me like a 237.

Get your file from the Museum, it should have all the original build sheets. They will also send you model-specific engine and driveline manuals, hence the big, heavy boxes. Don't be cheap when you write them a check.

8-10 weeks wait time for your files by the way. But WELL worth it.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That is absolutely NOT a 300 Plus.

Looks to me like a 237.

Get your file from the Museum, it should have all the original build sheets. They will also send you model-specific engine and driveline manuals, hence the big, heavy boxes. Don't be cheap when you write them a check.

8-10 weeks wait time for your files by the way. But WELL worth it.

I'm looking now for contacts. Would that be this guy?

Don Schumaker, Curator

2402 Lehigh Parkway South

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: +1 610 351-8413

Fax: +1 610 351-8756

Or is there a different web site or contact I'm not seeing?

44's have the greasable trunion and usually the 1/2 stiffener plates welded to the sides of the housings. usually the cone axle caps are early 38's and all of 44's. the B model years had the 38's with cones. all the R models I have seen have flat axle caps for 38's which means they have'' semi floating'' axle, the cone caps are ''full floating'' . that's also a 237 which matches the 685 vin number. any reputable Mack garage should be able to tell you its a 237 and not a 300+by looking at it. a 300+ would be a R612S

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Nice looking dog there . Yep im seeing 2 oil filters instead of 3 oil filters which would also be a sign of a 237 & Cones on the Axles im also thinking a Early 38' or @ least a minimum of 44k Mack Rears if not early 38's .

as FWD Said send the info to the Mack museum & after receiving that box of info send a donation to the museum . ;)

The Mack museum will tell the factory specs for sure .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I'm looking now for contacts. Would that be this guy?

Don Schumaker, Curator

2402 Lehigh Parkway South

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: +1 610 351-8413

Fax: +1 610 351-8756

Or is there a different web site or contact I'm not seeing?

Yes Don is the one you are looking for. His email is mack.museum@macktrucks.com. Send him an email with your serial number and that you are requesting copies of any and all materials in your factory file. The wait time is 8-10 weeks, between numerous requests and because they are also volunteers.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

My 1985 RD685 has 38 rears, and has 5 spoke hubs, I thought Deere Macks 6 spokes meant it was heavier. I would also say it is a 237 for sure.

Great find Deere mack, looks like a nice truck.

Once you get trucking with it, be patient. With a load you won't set speed records. But it will get you there every time.

My advice…….get a BIG horn.So you can blow back at the cars that are passing you, giving you the finger.

Keith 

Looks like a 237 and 44 rears to me, I thought by 79 the 38's were flat axles.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That's gonna be a sweet truck for you, I'll take it when you decide to let it go.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yes Don is the one you are looking for. His email is mack.museum@macktrucks.com. Send him an email with your serial number and that you are requesting copies of any and all materials in your factory file. The wait time is 8-10 weeks, between numerous requests and because they are also volunteers.

I'm curious will they do this for my 96 CH also?

That's gonna be a sweet truck for you, I'll take it when you decide to let it go.

I heard that! I'm already attached. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the different turcks I've mailed ya lately. You don't know how releived I am to have found a truck. I got to where I was seeing craigslist etc at night when I closed my eyes. This truck wasn't even for sale. Looked at an old DM the guy was trying to sell and he started telling about this one and now it calls my place home :)

Man, that's a fine machine right there. 84, if he gets ready to get rid of it I'll arm wrestle you for it! That thing would look right at home sitting next to my blue '96 RD triaxle. We both have tall spokes and Ox Body beds, too. Was Ox making beds like that in '79? I've seen Rogers beds that old but I'm not sure about Ox. Maybe the box got swapped out later in life?

Jake