Would love to see the Mack prototype CH or CA

We touched on this subject the other day. I personally can't find my pictures but I'm sure at least a few other Mack veterans have some.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/33278-rd-steel-nose/page-3

The Mack CH was the modern and vesatile replacement of the R-model. Like the R-model, the CH had no special aerodynamic features.

Remember, an appreciation for aerodynamics was developing amongst America's truckmakers during the 1980s to help on-highway trucks improve fuel economy (The Kenworth T600, introduced in 1985, elevated the trend).

The Mack CA was the company's answer to the stirring demand for aerodynamic on-highway tractors. And it was breathtaking in appearance, a truly revolutionary and modern design.

So altogether, Mack R&D had three options on the table for the sales group to consider for production:

CA - aerodynamic tractor for the ninties

CH - modern replacement for the industry-leading R-model

DH - modern replacement for the industry-leading DM

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno , kinda has that gay ass midliner look to the grille and headlights never really cared for the CH, especially the plastic bumper T600A Freightliner wanna be Ch's. the early ones also had the plastic headlites that turned yellow after a few years to. the newer ones with the chrome angled bumper and different headlites are a decent looking truck depending on color.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The B model sure looked aerodynamic for its day.

I have an ad somewhere from Mack, says something about that.

Mack ran several "teaser" ads before introducing the CH. One ad stated "If you wanted rounded fenders, you could of had them in 195x". The ad showed a front side view of a B fender. I saved all those ads but have no idea where they are now.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Mack ran several "teaser" ads before introducing the CH. One ad stated "If you wanted rounded fenders, you could of had them in 195x". The ad showed a front side view of a B fender. I saved all those ads but have no idea where they are now.

Those were indeed great advertisements. We were proud of those.

Here's a photo of one of the pre-production prototypes. This CH was assembled with a DM chassis.

http://hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/dmckenzie/a_trains/a20_mack_atomic.html

I remember that test truck for Atomic up here in Canada.

Mack Canada Built 20 CH's up here at the Oakville plant in 89. I know where CH613serial #001020 is. (E7400 15spd Fuller 14/44 on camelback spoke fr and rear double frame 187" wheelbase) I'm still trying to get my hands on it!!!

They only built 20 of them and stopped there because they wouldn't update the paint booth for the type of paint the CH called for. That and it was all destined for Winnsboro pretty much from the get go.

(Told this by a former engineer from Oakville assembly)

There was also another prototype that ran Canada and I believe it had the big bore 6 cylinder Mack diesel in it? The engine is now in the museum at the customer center.

The engine you are speaking of - the "Big Six". It shared the same bore and pistons with the V-8s.

Legendary Mack VP of engineering Walter May said two upcoming new V-8s and two (Big Six) 6-cylinders (due around 1979-1980) would be high-torque "Turbodyne" series engines.