Painted Fuel Tanks

I have a set of painted aluminum fuel tanks on my truck and I'm thinking about stripping the paint and polishing them.My question is whats the best way to strip the paint sand them down or is there a product that will strip paint,also after I get that done any polishing tips would be appreciated.thanks

If you might be interested in how I did about the tank of my R688ST read here:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/33825-fuel-tank-cap-question/

Everything easier, faster or better is interesting for me too.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I am no paint expert but just a thought...

Perhaps blast with walnut shells, glass beads, or plastic abrasive. This would, in my novice opinion, strip the paint and semi-polish the tanks.

Hopefully someone else may have a "better" answer to your question.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

There is aircraft paint stripper for removing paint from aluminum.

Polishing can be done at home using small power tools and hand work. It takes LOTS of time.

Maybe ask around at some truck shops to see if there is a business that does tanks. It may seem like a lot of money but they would also know all the tricks to doing it and save your arms.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

You can have the tanks soda blasted, that removes the paint and wont pit the finish underneath. Was going to have my tanks done that way to bring back the polished look but just painted them again. They will need to be all buffed out after blasting

• Like 1

I used a product called "Tal-Strip" that was first used for stripping paint off aircraft.I used plastic scrapers (like a bondo paddle) so as not to scratch the aluminum.I actually used it to strip the paint off the hood (fiberglass) on the BCR,also.Had to act quick with the fiberglass stripping,however!!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I would soda blast if you don't intend to repaint. The soda will remove the paint and oxidized material and leave the good aluminum unscathed. It is striking how well it goes after the paint and not the aluminum. You can then polish to your hearts content. Note that when repainting, Soda is not recommended and voids paint warrantees as the basic (opposite of acidic) action of the soda conteracts the grip that self etching primer would provide. The paint tends to jump off the substrate unless you completely rinse the soda off or hit it with a mild acidic solution.

Greg

I'm in doubt you need blasting.

When you start to sand with a paper you'll need to go from low grade to smooth being shure you get off scratches of a previous number with a current one. After blasting a lot of hard work with hard paper required to delete sand cavits so you need more steps. As finer a paper is as less work on that step.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 3 weeks later...

There are some great tips on YouTube for polishing. I would practice on an old piece or a bit that won't be seen before jumping in. In my opinion, aluminium is sorta like paint. If your gonna use sand paper be careful cause fine lines/marks will show up in finished product. Oh, and it can be a dirty job!

You can have the tanks soda blasted, that removes the paint and wont pit the finish underneath. Was going to have my tanks done that way to bring back the polished look but just painted them again. They will need to be all buffed out after blasting

Yes it is hard to beat the Soda Blasting. It is gentle to that aluminum or what ever you are stripping. I used to use Alumi-brite chemical on my custom car trailer to keep the dirt and dull haze off. I used an 3/8 electric drill for that buffing job.

mike