1988 RW 613 Superliner, Motor E6 400 I'm interested "help"

Go to solution Solved by Superdog,

Anyone know about the reliability, amount of torque, cubic inch, in a 400 e6. Parts availability? Any bad issues with this model truck? thanks,Mark

Mark, Did they make an e6 400 ? I had a E7 VMack that i bought new, one of the first Electronic motors in my CH 600. Now when I got the truck it burned oil, then it burned more oil, so Mack brought it in and pulled all 6 pistons and found broken rings! They fixed it all under wrt. And after that I had no trouble at all with the truck, I just sold it in Jan. but the motor ran good and had a lot of power 2090 trans an 464 Mack rears

BULLHUSK

Well if its an 88 its not got a stock 400, however you can swap engines I know where there's an E6 Superliner that has an E7 in it now. I always thought a mechanical Mack 350 ran awfully well, great throttle response and low end. As for reliability they are hard to beat, I know where a 93 CH with an E7 400 is that's never had the heads off, same for a 95 350 actually.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

My Dad knew of a block company that bought a Superliner in late 1989 for a block truck setup like the ones we have at work with one of the very last E6 engines and it was a factory 400 with a 12 speed and all aluminum wheels. He said that it was one hell of a runner and it looked really sharp doing it.

So an E6400 does exist. Just my 2 cents.

Josh

• Like 2

My Dad knew of a block company that bought a Superliner in late 1989 for a block truck setup like the ones we have at work with one of the very last E6 engines and it was a factory 400 with a 12 speed and all aluminum wheels. He said that it was one hell of a runner and it looked really sharp doing it.

So an E6400 does exist. Just my 2 cents.

Josh

Yeah i have heard of factory E6-400 engines

• Like 1

Matt

In 1989 they were rolling out E7-400 mechanical engines. A company I wrenched at in Mississauga by the name of John Grant Haulage had 1 of 20 CH's built at Mack's Oakville assembly plant. (the only 20 Canadian as I understand it....Mack Canada serial plate CH613 #001020... I want this truck!!) Grant Haulage was one of the Canadian Fleets they use to test stuff out on for heavy loads like the 1000 series V8's etc. Most of the trailers were 3 and 4 axle.

the CH was built in '89 and had one of the first E7-400 motors.(mechanical) they still have the truck doing yard work and runs like a clock. Doesn't make sense that they would bump up an E6 to 400hp when the E7's were already finished field testing and in production for the CH roll out. The '89 Superliner may have had an early E7???

The E7 350 and 400 versions were unveiled in the Bulldog magazine 3rd edition 1989. The first 377 E7 engines were built in late 1988. In the announcement the "425" model was to be released in Jan 1990. That never happened until V-Mac II as the 427. The E7 and E6 were built concurrently into 1990 where the E7 would replace the E6. Not sure when the last E6 for new production was built, I'm guessing it was 1990?? I do believe the Phoenix 1000 series of CH's (First 1000 built) were E6's built in Jan. 1989

• 1 year later...

if its a mechanical 400 just buy it ! the only problem we ever had was the pump shop got the advance wrong and we smoked a overhaul after fixing that issue the truck was as bullet proof as a e-6 350 and just a little stronger, that superliner it was in was paving and hauling 101,000 lbs. ran great!

• 6 years later...
On 9/9/2013 at 6:49 PM, bbigrig said:

In 1989 they were rolling out E7-400 mechanical engines. A company I wrenched at in Mississauga by the name of John Grant Haulage had 1 of 20 CH's built at Mack's Oakville assembly plant. (the only 20 Canadian as I understand it....Mack Canada serial plate CH613 #001020... I want this truck!!) Grant Haulage was one of the Canadian Fleets they use to test stuff out on for heavy loads like the 1000 series V8's etc. Most of the trailers were 3 and 4 axle.

the CH was built in '89 and had one of the first E7-400 motors.(mechanical) they still have the truck doing yard work and runs like a clock. Doesn't make sense that they would bump up an E6 to 400hp when the E7's were already finished field testing and in production for the CH roll out. The '89 Superliner may have had an early E7???

I agree here. Have never heard of or saw an E6 400, but ran an E7 400 mechanical. And had friends that swapped their E6350's for E7 400's.

Both the E6 and E7 mechanicals were awesome reliable motors.

I ran every year of Mack back then and I never had issues until 2000 and up.

• Like 1