saved another one

yup, factory Chrysler Industrial 354 Hemi and Dodge front axle and rear end. has a spicer 5 speed. must be the Navy was runnin Dodges back then and wanted parts that were universal? also appears to have been ordered with tubeless radials on the front axle and bias ply on the rear... the guy gave me the two original front rims with radials mounted on them.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

its a friends 1953 Lacrosse. think it had the ball buster 4 tires across the back originally. the ones you had to change from the inside? and someone changed the rear axle to just have outward wheels.

Its a sweet trailer for rescuing old macks! Looks great.

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

pictures do it justice let me tell ya haha. worked on it for hours to get the taillights workin before headin out at 10 at night.he overuses it i think. needs some tlc. id like to find one of my own eventually or even a tandem axle trailer, preferably a Fruehauf but the scrappers seem to have gobbled them up lately.ona side note when i was in Georgia and Fla and south carolina a few years ago, those old short sincle axle trailers seem to be all over the place just sittin. take a lot of money to get them back to Ny tho. a true rebel trip in a historic vehicle across state lines with a low GVW haha.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Good luck. Is this the first fire truck you have done?

I'm pretty sure this is the truck that was used at Lorton Reformatory, DC's former prison. The inmates and guards staffed the truck as a first aid device. The station where I was a driver was first due at the prison and I vaguely remember the truck being there in the early seventies.

If you are ever on I-95 through VA the prison is a couple of miles off of the interstate. I'm pretty sure the old station where the piece was housed was preserved at the work house site.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

yup, factory Chrysler Industrial 354 Hemi and Dodge front axle and rear end. has a spicer 5 speed. must be the Navy was runnin Dodges back then and wanted parts that were universal? also appears to have been ordered with tubeless radials on the front axle and bias ply on the rear... the guy gave me the two original front rims with radials mounted on them.

It seems in the 50's everything military and Civil defense was Hemi powered including a bunch of air raid sirens.

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I went to an auction a couple weeks ago and the was a Hemi engine out of a car,bolted to a transmission,motor had been sitting in a shed for 30 some years,stuck tight,it brought $1000.

We race fire trucks in N.Y. about 20 years ago the rules changed and every team was dumping 392 Hemis and 426 Wedges motor to go to big block Chevies. My partner and I were getting complete engines for 2 /300 dollars each. Now I,ve sold OEM Valve covers for that.

Here's my home town C rig from the early 70's.

roughr-1.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE