Difference between Mack DM and Mack U models

OK, so I've been looking through the different pics online and I'm wondering what really is the difference between a U model and a DM model. I'm sure it's a pretty simple explanation but i can't figure out what exactly they are, after seeing enough pics the differences are pretty slim. I've seen lots of DM models with a sheet metal cab but also lots of DM models with the fiberglass nose like the U models have so I'm really lost what the difference is, just wondering. Thanks in advance for the explanation.

OK, so I've been looking through the different pics online and I'm wondering what really is the difference between a U model and a DM model. I'm sure it's a pretty simple explanation but i can't figure out what exactly they are, after seeing enough pics the differences are pretty slim. I've seen lots of DM models with a sheet metal cab but also lots of DM models with the fiberglass nose like the U models have so I'm really lost what the difference is, just wondering. Thanks in advance for the explanation.

DMs had a heavyer frame, axles ETC. The DM stands for Dumper Mixer Chassis. U models had lighter frames, axles ETC. U models were mostly road trucks, and lighter duty dumps, if they were used as a dumper chassis.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

DMs had a heavyer frame, axles ETC. The DM stands for Dumper Mixer Chassis. U models had lighter frames, axles ETC. U models were mostly road trucks, and lighter duty dumps, if they were used as a dumper chassis.

Hey!! I looked all overmy DM800 and can't find the ETC. :whistling: :whistling:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hey!! I looked all overmy DM800 and can't find the ETC. :whistling: :whistling:

Thats an early model, still mechanical engine.

The later ones had computers in them

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Right, DM's are the rugged, heavy duty, get-r-done offset trucks. U models are the lightweight, flimsy, sissy-lala offset trucks.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Vinny,

When I asked you the same question you also didn't say me about the light ETC and the heavy ETC :rolleyes:

MACK told me the ETC is Electric Turnover Control...U has a light lift motor and my DM has a heavy gear reduction motor to aid in putting the trucks back on all it's wheels. The later ones are self righting :):)

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

U models need a minimum of three fat chicks on the porch, a DM you only need a minimum of one.

Thank heavens I'm driving a DM model, would hate to get rolled over with a U and explain to the troopers what two fat chicks were doing with a short slim guy like me :D :D

How new does mine need to be to have the self-righting option?????????

Edited by burnstransport

Thank heavens I'm driving a DM model, would hate to get rolled over with a U and explain to the troopers what two fat chicks were doing with a short slim guy like me :D :D

How new does mine need to be to have the self-righting option?????????

Well , mines a 1969 I guess about 10 years newer..:)

P.T.CHESHIRE

The dm's we have are pretty much tanks ..... And no fat girls allowed .... Find ya some fat girls vinnster

hehe,,,thier generally not made for beauty,,,just ready to work...and yes no fat chicks hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.bob

The ETC, (Electric Turnover Control) option was manufactured and vendored to Mack by the Uranus Corporation for a time being. Discounting maintenance, a fat chick was much easier to acquire, and replace when they no longer performed within design parameters.

Both systems performed admirably keeping lopsided trucks with the rubber side down.

To this day remember: Do not let a fat chick into the cab of a lopsided truck on the left!! Although they may offer a soft and cushy "squish zone" to minimize sheet metal damage, this is still to be considered a nuisance and easy to prevent by requiring entrance through the right door only.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.