Mack Factory, Plainfield, NJ Pics

When did the allentown plant come about. I worked for a company that had a building that was part of Mack at one time and I seen a picture of it from the 40s judging by the cars sitting around now this company I was working for was the former GATX fuller company and the Mack machine shop was next to it. I was told this little building was bought by fuller in the late 60s or early 70s and that the first Mack trucks that were built in allentown came out of there. I was also told.that at the time of fuller buying the building Mack had some small musieum there.

Rudy

the oakville, ontario plant was just tore down about a month ago! bobo

..........Sniff,sniff..................thats where both of my dump trucks were built,Bobo.Sorry to hear that.Great trucks,too! Our MACK dealer told me many customers requested that their trucks be Oakville built! Also thanks fire4t3 for posting the Plainfield,N.J. pics.Both of my B's were built there! And thank you SnakeEater for your pics,as well.If those wall could talk,huh? Somebody keep an eye on those logos! I'm sure somebody not interested in that building's history will order it torn down! :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

..........Sniff,sniff..................thats where both of my dump trucks were built,Bobo.Sorry to hear that.Great trucks,too! Our MACK dealer told me many customers requested that their trucks be Oakville built! Also thanks fire4t3 for posting the Plainfield,N.J. pics.Both of my B's were built there! And thank you SnakeEater for your pics,as well.If those wall could talk,huh? Somebody keep an eye on those logos! I'm sure somebody not interested in that building's history will order it torn down! :bulldog3:

My U685ST was built there too.

• Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Great post and pictures! as we all know (well most of us anyway) a LOT of good things come from Jersey! Macks,Bruce Springsteen,Frank Sinatra,porkroll egg&cheese sammiches,and the list goes on and on!.........sure be neat to save the International Motor Co. logos before the plant finally comes down,a lot of history in that emblem!.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I don't believe any trucks were assembled in Plainfield. According to Montville's book Plainfield was the engine plant and a parts depot prior to the construction of the Hagerstown plant. After the move from NY in the early 20th century trucks were assembled in Allentown, but placarded with the location of Mack's offices.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I see the logo over the door has a more modern aluminum andonized window covering it. I believe the origional window is behind the logo, so someone knew or knows and cares. They should be at the new Mack plant somewhere.

An old fella from Iowa, whom just passed told me something I'll never forget. I said to him, "all the beautifull historic barns, no one takes care of them and they are falling down,I would think that they would be restored for history sake" being 85 and owning his farm all his life, I didn't expect the reply I got. He said they are useless, none of our modern equipment fits in them, why maintain something you don't use, metal buildings are built to fit todays farm. Well, he was 100% right, it's a business and the bottom line for a business is make money and prgress into the future prepared.

Great Pictures, I love history and am glad someone else does too.

• Like 1

I don't believe any trucks were assembled in Plainfield. According to Montville's book Plainfield was the engine plant and a parts depot prior to the construction of the Hagerstown plant. After the move from NY in the early 20th century trucks were assembled in Allentown, but placarded with the location of Mack's offices.

Ah ha! I stand corrected! They were built in Allentown (DUH!!) Would the main offices have been there in Plainfield in '57 & '58?

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

how i understood it also. No trucks were built in Plainfield at all , just the door tags were printed that way because thats where the offices and engine plant was. everything includin b model firetrucks except for a few years i thought were built in about 4 or 5 different buildings around Allentown.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

When Mack bought out Beck in Cincinnati in the late fifties they moved fire truck production to that plant for a few years. Fire apparatus was also built in Long Island City, NY for awhile, but the chassis for both plants were still made in Allentown. Obviously, Mack had other assembly plants over the years in CA, and Ontario, CN for OTR trucks as well.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

how i understood it also. No trucks were built in Plainfield at all , just the door tags were printed that way because thats where the offices and engine plant was. everything includin b model firetrucks except for a few years i thought were built in about 4 or 5 different buildings around Allentown.

I've got a few very Early B models with built in NY door tags.

yup thats what i thought, knew about the firetrucks being asslmbled elsewhere for a few years. didnt think any trucks were actually assembled in Plainfield. some of my early B models and tags say Mack Manufacturing , New York Ny, that was around 53-57. 58-65 they said Plainfield Nj and 65-66 they said Montvale Nj. after that i believe all the tags read Allentown.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Talked to my Father in Law who put many years in Mack assembly in Allentown. World Headquarters moved there in 1970, Macungie opened in 1976...Plainfield was the power train plant..Allentown was where the bulk of the trucks where made..Somerville was the parts DC..But it`s still a cool find and thanks for posting..

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

• 2 years later...

My name is Hal Morris. I worked for Mack Trucks in the summer of 1960 as a "common laborer" 4-12 swing shift. I may have helped build some of your antique trucks. My Dad worked for Mack Trucks 1940-1961 and did not transfer to Hagerstown. It was difficult times for our family and the Plainfield area. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who worked there at that time.

It is a shame that there are so many Mack stories to be told by people who don't know about this site. Factory workers, engineers, sales etc.

It would be great to hear from them. :twothumbsup:

I agree. I would also like to see pics of the Allentown and Hagerstown plants in their heyday. I have a few of Hagerstown taken in 1985 that I need to scan and post.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

There is a thread on Allentown factories somewhere on here with many photos. I think I started it but I wouldn't know how to find it. I guess you may be able to

search Allentown factories. :)

This is the only thread I found but does not show pics of the buildings, production lines, etc.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/33706-mack-factories/

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"