Pictures of the Week

other dog

They recommend premium gas in the Zinamobile Nissan Titan so that's what I always put in it. It's more expensiver at the pump of course but it might be cheaper in the long run.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So, my new gas tank came today. And here's the issue-

I called 4 States because they didn't send enough rubber to go under the straps. I misunderstood, I ordered 2 but they sell it by the foot, so I only got 2 feets. 

Anyway, the guy asked me if I was using it for gas or diesel. When I told him gas, he said "uh-oh, this tank is only rated for diesel".  I thought it said "gas or diesel" when I ordered it, but apparently it didn't. But it said "fits Ford F600" and they were all gas powered. I don't even know exactly what "rated for diesel" even means, but Dave (maint1) sent me this-

Screenshot_20240415-173020.thumb.png.1005001e92bf6b0391634581c2cc9ee4.png

Screenshot_20240415-173138.thumb.png.b75a0dd035575eb7143855d89b500b84.png

So I'm going to use the tank- any thoughts?

Just now, Joey Mack said:

sounds like you need to put gas tank coating in it while it in a virgin...   sorry, I dont have a picture of a girl in a car..  But I do have this little Peach.. as Bob would put it..  jojo

image.jpeg

I would, but I heard you don't use sealer in aluminum tanks, maybe it doesn't adhere to the aluminum or something, I don't know. I had 2 quarts of sealer but I already sent it on its way. So I think, from what I'm reading here, if I stick to non-ethanol and use gas treatment I should be ok.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, other dog said:

I would, but I heard you don't use sealer in aluminum tanks, maybe it doesn't adhere to the aluminum or something, I don't know. I had 2 quarts of sealer but I already sent it on its way. So I think, from what I'm reading here, if I stick to non-ethanol and use gas treatment I should be ok.

I think you are RIGHT on Non-Ethanol ONLY!!!!! 

Brocky

Looks like all you can do now is swap out that IH engine for a 5.9 .  Or......  stick to non ethanol . That stuff works if you used something frequently, but leave it sit a little and the fun starts. I think I'd leave the tank as full as posible for the periods it sits.  You'd think these guys repop'n tanks would realize this and make a composit lined tank even if only for novelty trucks.  At the point of manufacture, it wouldn't be very difficult to line it with a poly membrane or something.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Looks like all you can do now is swap out that IH engine for a 5.9 . 

He would have to use a Dt466 or 7.3/6.9 V8 if he wanted to diesel swap it. Those are the "rules" lol

We don't get an option to buy ethanol free gas at our only station where I live and I don't even know what the ethanol percentage is. I have to rebuild every carb I own about every year though so there is definitely some in there. 

Edited by BOBWhite
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

l'm thirty miles away from a non-ethanol pump. We make the trip when needed and come home with twenty five gallons (5/5s) in the back. And top off the pick-up while we are there.    .....Hippy

Wow, I guess I am lucky then. I only have to go from the blue dot to the red balloon to get non-ethanol. It's only a couple inches on the phone.

Screenshot_20240415-205012.thumb.png.f9ecdb5d3a4ae42dcd5b5b824f14e909.png

• Haha 2

That idea of putting epoxy sealer (not a DD screamer) into the new tank was floating over my mind. And I didn't point that out since in a case you have a clean brand new tank the straight simple way just installing it seemed very attractive. But on the other hand considering options and adding some reasonable amount of efforts into a deal could pay off in the future.

I don't see any issues applying sealer to a new alu tank. Sure you should check out the particular compound on its applyability to alu. Also you better degrease the inside of the tank with suitable degriaser before sealing and be sure that light evaporating stuff to not poison your breath of make big boom. 

On the other hand from those arguments above the worry of use alu tank for gas is water which could get collected in the fuel because of alcohol. But I guess water wouldn't affect aluminium really fast even being poured clean right into the tank. So adding fuel stabilizer and not allowing old gas to take place for a long while should secure you quite enough from notable tank inside corrosion.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

This was about all I could find about sealing new aluminum tanks. I think I'll just put the thing on when the strap rubber gets here and hope for the best. If I have issues I'll have to put a tank behind the cab I guess.

Screenshot_20240416-084844.thumb.png.07376633336cd75e51d59cc5ca2ef360.png

As has been pointed out, other equipment uses aluminum for tanks. I wonder how much of the "not approved for Gasoline" has to do with emissions and venting requirements for gasoline and roll over requirements for the same?

My old step tanks from "back in the day" state for diesel or gasoline, but the lower bungs are not to be used for gasoline. (I.E. no cross over or gravity feed).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geoff Weeks said:

As has been pointed out, other equipment uses aluminum for tanks. I wonder how much of the "not approved for Gasoline" has to do with emissions and venting requirements for gasoline and roll over requirements for the same?

My old step tanks from "back in the day" state for diesel or gasoline, but the lower bungs are not to be used for gasoline. (I.E. no cross over or gravity feed).

also "back in the day " the gas like many items today was very different. wouldn't consider the hose/  suck the gas from tank in today world.  if reason is for mechanical reasons it's understandable. tank needs to have a pump  etc, the algae stories many prove other wise .

Well I have been mulling this over

Ethanol fuel is what it is, Im as tight as a fishes ass so I buy the cheapest fuel I can and never have any issues

And it is E10

Aluminium fuel tanks Im pretty sure used on light planes, drag cars and so on

As such I think it will be fine with petrol

So Im thinking if you want reliability that just starts and runs and gives the best economy 

Electronic throttle body fuel injection, holly and the like make complete systems that include a new electronic dizzy

Doing this should make it as reliable as a modern car and I think the cost wont be huge

Apart from that, carry on, it is interesting learning

Paul 

16 hours ago, Vladislav said:

... Something of what is used to clean clogged kitchen sunk. Sure after test application on another aluminium part.

Funny you should say that- I read somewhere when I was online searching tanks and algae and rust and sludge and gunk and cleaning tanks that you actually could use drain cleaner to clean the tank out with. But the aluminum brightener seemed to do a great job.

23 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

far out thought; gas vs alum becomes a hassle , and staying with the gas ; even though you have the alum tank , acquire a steel tank and paint it alum ?? 

I wouldn't have a problem using a steel tank, but I couldn't find an aftermarket steel tank available anywhere and if I went with a used one, if I could even find one, I'd have to do all the cleaning and sealing process before I used it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Well I have been mulling this over

Ethanol fuel is what it is, Im as tight as a fishes ass so I buy the cheapest fuel I can and never have any issues

And it is E10

Aluminium fuel tanks Im pretty sure used on light planes, drag cars and so on

As such I think it will be fine with petrol

So Im thinking if you want reliability that just starts and runs and gives the best economy 

Electronic throttle body fuel injection, holly and the like make complete systems that include a new electronic dizzy

Doing this should make it as reliable as a modern car and I think the cost wont be huge

Apart from that, carry on, it is interesting learning

Paul 

So, what is this "electronic throttle body fuel injection" of which you speak? I don't care about stock or original, I just want it to run like it's supposed to.