Pictures of the Week

other dog

15 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!  Welcome to the "Tired Iron World" !!!!!!!  Going to be a snug fit for Zina and 3 dogs in it on the way to shows??

I told her, "it's going to be smaller than you think". So we'll see. But like I told her, the "coolness factor" is there on this truck, it has "cool" written all over it. A single axle Columbier or Cascadier might be a better show cruiser, but there's nothing cool about them 🤣. She's already painting it, she doesn't like the grill protector, "does it have air conditioning?" so she's pretty excited about it.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

is that a R-190?

looks to be mid to late 70's. integral sleeper internationals of that model are VERY RARE.

that is only the third one i ever saw. the other two were tandem axle diesels.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

11 hours ago, tjc transport said:

is that a R-190?

looks to be mid to late 70's. integral sleeper internationals of that model are VERY RARE.

that is only the third one i ever saw. the other two were tandem axle diesels.

1963 V-190 actually, I don't even know what the difference is though. 

13 hours ago, Brocky said:

Are you bringing it to York and Macungie???  I plan on both..

We're not going to York, but we're planning on going to Macungie. Whether or not the truck is depends on whether I can find it a ride or not. I doubt if I would drive it that far, Google says it's 368 miles. Be nice to find somebody going that way with room on a trailer, I could help with fuel for a ride.

I haven't even driven it yet, just taking Stevie Stevens- "it's not junk"- and Dave Couto's words to heart. It might drive like a dream, Stevie said it would cruise at 70mph.

Oh, that reminds me - do you remember that real pretty blue Chevrolet tandem dump truck at Harrisonburg? He owned that truck too, and Keith Jones bought it from him and put it in the museum. Maybe it was part of the deal of him getting the International back, I don't know.

Screenshot_20240327-080644.thumb.png.a0b58d69789c45ce26ceeb5231bf3ccf.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, other dog said:

Well, I haven't posted any pictures of the week for a while. I don't get around nearly as much as I used to. I have to go to the interwebs to find a picture of a girl in a car, something I used to see all the time. So here's a girl in a car, from the interwebs.

FB_IMG_1711490800343.thumb.jpg.b8b7c21a0381b3f07260c295fdf0ea5c.jpg

Oh, and there's this- I don't want to jump the gun, or count my chickens before they hatch, but the check is in the mail for this unit.

IMG_20240321_1851462.thumb.jpg.a67607642df3adc164a4b979b4d0224b.jpg

We've been wanting another old truck for a while, Zina kept saying "you need to find us a truck", but nothing really suitable came along. I told her we really needed a single axle unit with a sleeper so we'd have some room in it, like an old fleet truck. Then I saw this on marketplace one day and showed it to her and said "that's a neat looking truck". And she said "you should call". 

I said "but it's really small, we need something with a walk in sleeper"...

"That's a neat looking truck, you should call the guy".

So, anyway, his check is in the mail. Dave Couto, "maint1" on BMT approved.

IMG_20240321_185055.thumb.jpg.e8411945e72dda6b172291fd39c05cc4.jpg

I actually saw this truck at Winchester a couple of times but I never really paid much attention to it. 

IMG_20240321_185123.thumb.jpg.a143199a251e6d46c182453a48e94ffd.jpg

It has a 401 gas engine with a 5 speed transmission and 2 speed rear. 

Screenshot_20240324-122046.thumb.png.a8e566b3455c0a1b9c7df8ebe3cddccb.png

This man used to own it, he sold it to the late Jerry Howard, Keith Jones from the Keystone Antique Truck and Tractor Museum bought it when they auctioned the Jerry Howard collection, and Dave called him to see if he wanted it back. He did, bought it, and he said he spent about $4,000 on it putting a fuel tank on it, tuning it up, rebuilding the carburetor,etc.  The gas tank had rust in it and kept stopping the filter up so he put a tank that had only held diesel on it.  He sold it for $1,000 more than he gave Keith for it. He said he would drive it pretty much anywhere. 

I called Dave and asked him about it and he verified everything and said he liked it, so we bought it.

Almost- his check is in the mail.

And just because - another girl in another car.

Screenshot_20240326-181021.thumb.png.cadc2d71a9201c58764be6813f49c943.png

Wonderful purchase. Maybe you could ask if one of these drivers would like to drive it to the show.

Many Inter R 190 and 200 owners in Australia used to bend that gear lever up near vertical from about 3-4 inches below the 2 spd button, so the lever would not touch the seat base and more user friendly for shifting gears. It was bent enough to not touch the dash board. I will see if I can find a picture of a bent lever.

So, Stevie called me today, like he said he would, to talk about picking this truck up. He had already told me that he would be out of town this weekend. He had to fly- in an airplane, he can't really fly himself- to Iowa and drive a firetruck back to Maryland. 

I could not go to Maryland next weekend because we had plans that we made months ago. And he called today and said he had gotten the check and as far as he was concerned it was my truck. So he offered to bring that truck here on a trailer with his pickup for expense money.

I had a good friend, also a BMT member, tell me the truck load rate would be $1250, but he would do it for $500 and a Hamm's. He also said he was pretty well covered up now and it would probably be about 3 weeks before he could do it.

Then Stevie called and it was almost like he was reading my mind. He had already figured the mileage, his approximate gas mileage, and expenses and said he would deliver that truck next week for $790 as soon as he got back from Iowa. So I told him to bring it.

• Like 1

I had told him when I picked it up I wanted him to tell me everything I needed to know about it. And he said today the best way to do that was face to face, and I agreed. So he said he would deliver the truck here and when he backed it off the trailer in our driveway he would be as happy as we were. I doubt that, but anyway, he seems to be a class act.