Pictures of the Week

other dog

19 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Do some checking.. I have heard that in 5th AND you run the 2 speed rear on the low side it tears things up?????  4th over to 5th over and back..

Most times they say don’t run 5th with the axle in low is because it’s not a progressive shift from 4th over. With 5th being overdrive and depending on the two ratios in the rear it actually makes 5th under slightly lower than 4th over. At least that’s the way it was on ford and Chevy medium duty trucks with Eaton two speed rears. If 5th was direct then 5th under was a progressive shift from 4th over. 

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 2

No reason you can't run low rear in O/D front. The rear doesn't care, a worn driveshaft might as you are pushing it at its fastest speed, something not always done in high.

It would be like saying you can't run any rear fast. It isn't the rear but the driveshaft that has limits. Run a rear real fast and you'll have heat issues, but unless it already has a problem, it will not make one.

Without knowing the trans ratio it is hard to say what is "progressive" and what is not. My K-7's go 4-lo, 5-lo, 4 hi 5 hi (working 5 speed) but I find the steps too close together to be of much use, with a big step between 3hi and 4 lo.

I ran my Marmon with a .73 od in top (15 O/D) in low but had to be careful not to push the driveshaft speed above critical speed. When I would feel it I would upshift the rear and down the main. Really pulling hard in 15th low, was close to 14th (direct) in high, but there was a slight difference, nothing the 3406B couldn't deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:19 AM, other dog said:

Stevie said the truck had an overdrive transmission in it, so I'm thinking 5th. gear will be towards the dash anyway.

4 low ▶️ 5 low ▶️ 4 hi ▶️ 5i, last shift quick to keep the revs up, brings back lots of memories when I learned to drive the GM powered R190 gearbox, no syncro - double clutch/rev and slide the cogs in

Great buy, congratulations. 2 exhaust pipes out the side to let the V8 be heard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrybarbon said:

4 low ▶️ 5 low ▶️ 4 hi ▶️ 5i, last shift quick to keep the revs up, brings back lots of memories when I learned to drive the GM powered R190 gearbox, no syncro - double clutch/rev and slide the cogs in

Great buy, congratulations. 2 exhaust pipes out the side to let the V8 be heard.

similar to a 20-speed quad becomes an 18 speed , ratios close or conflict making unnecessary or impractical to use . doesn't say they can't be used. out come ????

1 hour ago, harrybarbon said:

I've driven a GMC that you shifted like that, and some 5 speeds that you shift 4 low- 4 high then straight to 5 high. I actually asked him on the phone about this when I first talked to him, but I forgot what he said. I'll ask him when he brings it.

As far as 2 speed axles go, I haven't driven one at all for many years. Last one was an International Loadstar lime truck that H.H. Moore used to have. I did drive a couple of trucks with Super 10 transmissions though, and always said they were "like driving a pulpwood truck with a 5 speed and 2 speed rear". 🤣

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:56 AM, harrybarbon said:

two examples of the gear lever bent upwards, the red steering cab is a Diamond T with the Inter comfo vision cab and 4th picture is an Inter with same cab

P8270714.JPG

P8270715.JPG

P8270719.JPG

P8281251.JPG

nice unit. question I have is location of two speed  button on shift lever? it's on left side closer to driver. sitting here splitting the make believe button and trying to recall; buttons were mounted on right side of lever making it easy for 3rd and 4th fingers to pull lever up/ down. guess using thumb works .

I would say it's a bit early time for congratulations on the purchace so I wish good luck on the purchase!

Really nice looking truck and especial combo of a single axle and integral bunk. Gasser may be also seen as an exotic thing, hope not much worries on the fuel milage being driven ocassionally to shows.

Another great point is that Zina initiated purchasing a big toy. You must be a lucky guy with that. Told her I would also remove that grill protector (probably the community would blame me for that) and brown colors combo would suit the particular truck very well.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Gasser may be also seen as an exotic thing, hope not much worries on the fuel milage being driven ocassionally to shows.

Parked across the street today from a gas station with a diesel pump or two. The price of diesel was a $1.02 more a gallon than regular gas. This was just off of I-93 exit 20, 18 miles north of Concord in Tilton NH.     .....Hippy

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

I would say it's a bit early time for congratulations on the purchace so I wish good luck on the purchase!

Really nice looking truck and especial combo of a single axle and integral bunk. Gasser may be also seen as an exotic thing, hope not much worries on the fuel milage being driven ocassionally to shows.

Another great point is that Zina initiated purchasing a big toy. You must be a lucky guy with that. Told her I would also remove that grill protector (probably the community would blame me for that) and brown colors combo would suit the particular truck very well.

Thank you Vlad, that put a big smile on her face! Dave liked that 2 tone brown paint job too, it is an eye catcher and that's what she said she wanted. The one in the picture I posted used to be parked in the same spot in Macungie every year, but it wasn't there last year. 

One thing I found working out a new driveshaft for my K-7 that early on  and I don't know when it was learned, that driveshafts were made that were well into and above the critical speed.

My K-7 had the OEM shaft , I checked against the parts list and dimensions, it was as built. I then plugged those very same dimensions into Spicer's calculator for critical speed and it was in and above during most of highway running.  I had to re design the shaft to make sure I stayed well away from critical speed.

I suspect that the people mentioning not running the rear in low with the trans in O/D is because if you are pushing the driveshaft into critical speed it can whip and come apart.

I don't know when the effects of critical speed and 1/2 true critical speed were fully understood, I  knew of critical but not 1/2 true and didn't know how to determine it. Spicer has a calculator on their website that makes it easy, plug in shaft dimensions and it will spit out the rpm's to keep away from.

• Thanks 1

The tyres look no less than 37". Must be a cool dirt cruiser with so small chassis weight.

17 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

One thing I found working out a new driveshaft for my K-7 that early on  and I don't know when it was learned, that driveshafts were made that were well into and above the critical speed.

My K-7 had the OEM shaft , I checked against the parts list and dimensions, it was as built. I then plugged those very same dimensions into Spicer's calculator for critical speed and it was in and above during most of highway running. 

Sounds like the critical speed is a feature of Spicer only. And the rest everybody just don't know it exists :) Sure kidding. It's fun to kid until your prop shaft would go off to the ground or hitting the underbody.

Seriousely that's very interesting point you mentioned. I just haven't cut a bit of time from my shedule to check out the critical speed for my WW2 Mack. The shaft is stock though, has intermediate hanger I've revised and the joints are good. I didn't modify anything in the tranny, only put faster carriers. So improving the speed wouldn't affect the prop shaft revs.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, harrybarbon said:

Wonderful purchase. Maybe you could ask if one of these drivers would like to drive it to the show.

Many Inter R 190 and 200 owners in Australia used to bend that gear lever up near vertical from about 3-4 inches below the 2 spd button, so the lever would not touch the seat base and more user friendly for shifting gears. It was bent enough to not touch the dash board. I will see if I can find a picture of a bent lever.

The only issue with driving it to Macungie is the distance, Google says it's 368 miles from here, and the fact that we usually leave there and go to Connecticut to see Zina's dad. I don't like to go to Connecticut but her dad is either 89 or 90 now, so...

I don't know about insurance yet either, I went with Gulfway when I had that mixer truck, but they're no longer in business. But they had mileage restrictions and if I put antique tags on it that comes with some restrictions too, so I'll have to check into all that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, other dog said:

Thank you Vlad, that put a big smile on her face! Dave liked that 2 tone brown paint job too, it is an eye catcher and that's what she said she wanted. The one in the picture I posted used to be parked in the same spot in Macungie every year, but it wasn't there last year. 

Glad to hear I could please Zina. Say hello to her if she still remembers me.

I saw that brown L-model at Macungie. The colors looked nice and the cleanness of the paint job overall was impressive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

The tyres look no less than 37". Must be a cool dirt cruiser with so small chassis weight.

Those were the 12.50/38 Super Swampers. I had a set of 38s and a set of 36" Swampers so I could run it in 2 different classes.

2 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Glad to hear I could please Zina. Say hello to her if she still remembers me.

I saw that brown L-model at Macungie. The colors looked nice and the cleanness of the paint job overall was impressive.

Yes, of course she remembers you. Every time I'm on BMT she asks if I've heard anything from Vlad. 

29 minutes ago, other dog said:

Those were the 12.50/38 Super Swampers. I had a set of 38s and a set of 36" Swampers so I could run it in 2 different classes.

That's cool. I never drove anything larger than 33x12.5R15. Macks don't count. But I drove those for whole 10 years everywhere, both in a forest and on highways in Europe :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, other dog said:

Yes, of course she remembers you. Every time I'm on BMT she asks if I've heard anything from Vlad. 

Wow! This makes me smiling ear to ear wide!

I may also mention I ocassionally wear a F.L.Moore cap you presented to me and make marks in a desk copybook by a Kroger Pharmacy pen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Wow! This makes me smiling ear to ear wide!

I may also mention I ocassionally wear a F.L.Moore cap you presented to me and make marks in a desk copybook by a Kroger Pharmacy pen.

That's great!

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Sounds like the critical speed is a feature of Spicer only. And the rest everybody just don't know it exists :) Sure kidding. It's fun to kid until your prop shaft would go off to the ground or hitting the underbody.

Seriousely that's very interesting point you mentioned. I just haven't cut a bit of time from my shedule to check out the critical speed for my WW2 Mack. The shaft is stock though, has intermediate hanger I've revised and the joints are good. I didn't modify anything in the tranny, only put faster carriers. So improving the speed wouldn't affect the prop shaft revs.

I was chasing a bad vibration, I used to be able to run the truck at 50-55 and it was un-drivable above 35.  The rear shaft had bowed badly, not from any hit but from running above the critical speed. The more a dove into the problem, the only thing that made sense. I started laying out a replacement shaft and once I ran it through the Spicer calculator, I found stock would not work. The hard part was U joints were obsolete and I had to switch to a more modern joint. That meant changing yokes and had to make the tube a lot larger to make it stronger.  Ended up putting more in the shaft than the truck cost me 20 years ago!