Pictures of the Week

other dog

On 3/26/2024 at 5:59 PM, other dog said:

Well, I haven't posted any pictures of the week for a while. I don't get around nearly as much as I used to. I have to go to the interwebs to find a picture of a girl in a car, something I used to see all the time. So here's a girl in a car, from the interwebs.

FB_IMG_1711490800343.thumb.jpg.b8b7c21a0381b3f07260c295fdf0ea5c.jpg

Oh, and there's this- I don't want to jump the gun, or count my chickens before they hatch, but the check is in the mail for this unit.

IMG_20240321_1851462.thumb.jpg.a67607642df3adc164a4b979b4d0224b.jpg

We've been wanting another old truck for a while, Zina kept saying "you need to find us a truck", but nothing really suitable came along. I told her we really needed a single axle unit with a sleeper so we'd have some room in it, like an old fleet truck. Then I saw this on marketplace one day and showed it to her and said "that's a neat looking truck". And she said "you should call". 

I said "but it's really small, we need something with a walk in sleeper"...

"That's a neat looking truck, you should call the guy".

So, anyway, his check is in the mail. Dave Couto, "maint1" on BMT approved.

IMG_20240321_185055.thumb.jpg.e8411945e72dda6b172291fd39c05cc4.jpg

I actually saw this truck at Winchester a couple of times but I never really paid much attention to it. 

IMG_20240321_185123.thumb.jpg.a143199a251e6d46c182453a48e94ffd.jpg

It has a 401 gas engine with a 5 speed transmission and 2 speed rear. 

Screenshot_20240324-122046.thumb.png.a8e566b3455c0a1b9c7df8ebe3cddccb.png

This man used to own it, he sold it to the late Jerry Howard, Keith Jones from the Keystone Antique Truck and Tractor Museum bought it when they auctioned the Jerry Howard collection, and Dave called him to see if he wanted it back. He did, bought it, and he said he spent about $4,000 on it putting a fuel tank on it, tuning it up, rebuilding the carburetor,etc.  The gas tank had rust in it and kept stopping the filter up so he put a tank that had only held diesel on it.  He sold it for $1,000 more than he gave Keith for it. He said he would drive it pretty much anywhere. 

I called Dave and asked him about it and he verified everything and said he liked it, so we bought it.

Almost- his check is in the mail.

And just because - another girl in another car.

Screenshot_20240326-181021.thumb.png.cadc2d71a9201c58764be6813f49c943.png

Very nice truck, hope it works out for you!   terry :MackLogo: not to shabby of other pics too!

51 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Isn’t that Tom? I am not sure that thing would look better under me ha ha… bob

Yes, that's when I was young and handsome. That picture was taken about 30 years ago.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Oh gotcha I thought that was a recent photo and yes, I had a 67 4 x 4 with a snow plow but that was also a long time ago. Hadda a lot of rot  on it. But it ran real well  sold it around 77 and bought  a 70 Chevy 4 x 4 also snow plow..: bob 

19 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

I was chasing a bad vibration, I used to be able to run the truck at 50-55 and it was un-drivable above 35.  The rear shaft had bowed badly, not from any hit but from running above the critical speed. The more a dove into the problem, the only thing that made sense. I started laying out a replacement shaft and once I ran it through the Spicer calculator, I found stock would not work. The hard part was U joints were obsolete and I had to switch to a more modern joint. That meant changing yokes and had to make the tube a lot larger to make it stronger.  Ended up putting more in the shaft than the truck cost me 20 years ago!

My only thought is when the truck was produced they didn't expect it running faster than 35. Or maybe they saw that possible ocassionally and that is why the shaft has kept its place on the truck, not on the ground.

Speaking the expences it may be seen as you threw some coins into the shaft repair instead of having a zero worth truck. As long as you could not drive it anymore. And now with the new shaft you can.

It seems though we are hijacking Tom's thread. Regardless the subject has some relation to it. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

36 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

My only thought is when the truck was produced they didn't expect it running faster than 35. Or maybe they saw that possible ocassionally and that is why the shaft has kept its place on the truck, not on the ground.

Speaking the expences it may be seen as you threw some coins into the shaft repair instead of having a zero worth truck. As long as you could not drive it anymore. And now with the new shaft you can.

It seems though we are hijacking Tom's thread. Regardless the subject has some relation to it. 

That's what we do here in Odds and ends Vlad, you know that. I'll even hijack my own thread-

So, it must not pay to go to Home Depot on Sundays, especially Easter Sunday. The last time I was at Home Depot was when we went to get a freezer last summer. The starter locked up on the red Ford pickup when we were leaving and I had to get it towed. I filed the burs off all the teeths on the flywheel and put a starter on it, been starting ok ever since. 

Today Zina wanted to get some flowers so we drove the Zinamobile Nissan Titan to Home Depot. And on the way back, about halfway up Oxford Furnace Hill it just quit. It would start and run for about 3 seconds then cut off. I coasted it back down the hill and into a driveway so it's off the road. I called a ride to take us home and a tow truck to take the Zinamobile to Lynchburg Nissan. Sounds like a fuel pump issue.  Good thing it has the top to bottom, front to back, complete warranty on it, even the towing is included. Only has 21,000 miles on it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

And yes, it seems like most of us live in areas with the  weather seems to suck most of the year not too much reason to go to Home Depot, except for ice. Melt lol.. bob

5 minutes ago, other dog said:

That's what we do here in Odds and ends Vlad, you know that. I'll even hijack my own thread-

So, it must not pay to go to Home Depot on Sundays, especially Easter Sunday. The last time I was at Home Depot was when we went to get a freezer last summer. The starter locked up on the red Ford pickup when we were leaving and I had to get it towed. I filed the burs off all the teeths on the flywheel and put a starter on it, been starting ok ever since. 

Today Zina wanted to get some flowers so we drove the Zinamobile Nissan Titan to Home Depot. And on the way back, about halfway up Oxford Furnace Hill it just quit. It would start and run for about 3 seconds then cut off. I coasted it back down the hill and into a driveway so it's off the road. I called a ride to take us home and a tow truck to take the Zinamobile to Lynchburg Nissan. Sounds like a fuel pump issue.  Good thing it has the top to bottom, front to back, complete warranty on it, even the towing is included. Only has 21,000 miles on it.

Doesn't sound like a nice chain of events. I'm not ready to choose the best comment of to not go to Home Depot at all or to not drive a Nissan or any other. One thing is for sure if Zina wanted flowers you should go and make the purchase.   ̷A̷n̷d̷ ̷I̷ ̷g̷u̷e̷s̷s̷ ̷s̷o̷m̷e̷ ̷f̷l̷o̷w̷e̷r̷s̷ ̷c̷o̷s̷t̷ ̷l̷e̷s̷s̷ ̷t̷h̷a̷n̷ ̷a̷n̷ ̷o̷l̷d̷ ̷I̷H̷ ̷t̷r̷u̷c̷k̷

Hope the warranty deal will go smooth.

• Haha 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

We had an oil leak on our explorer and jackasses didn’t want to warranty it. They said it wasn’t leaking enough to repair it. You gotta be shitting me so we had to pay our local garage to do it … even complained to the Ford complaint department and they were on the dealership side so what are we supposed to do? Wait till it’s pouring all over the garage floor…. Jerks.. 

• Sad 1

if you hear a ticking noise like a bad belt tensioner when engine is cold and AC is on while standing in front of car, get it to the dealer or mechanic ASAP.

i heard it for about three months, but by the time i got to the dealer the engine was hot and noise went away when hot.

i left it with them and the next morning the mechanic i knew went out and fired the car up, knew rite away what it was. 

but he was not aware it was a bad as it was. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Not really, These trucks were used to pull semi trailers after WW2 when trucks were in short supply. They were geared to run 55 @ rated RPM. Mine will top out at 62-63 at redline.  Smaller, lighter trucks were sold to small farms, etc had the flathead, and were more 45 mph trucks.  The -6 and up had IHC designed OHV engines, lined blocks (for easy overhaul) and were trucks from the get go. I can only conclude they didn't understand the dynamics of driveshafts turning at high speeds.

Like the OP'ers truck, it was designed for longer trips on hiway.

• Like 1

Thanks, TJ we already spent like five grand on it for some sort of 50,000 mile replacement of a bunch of shit. I think they changed it. Not sure what that was all about, but it was customary as what they told us, which is a very rabbit shop. We’ve been going there for years. They are not cheap but they don’t sell you anything you don’t need…. Bob

• Like 1