1972 Loadstar , my love for loadstars continues .

We have a GMC grain truck with a V6 (non running) and an Allison with that 3rd retarder type petal. Not sure mechanically how it works, does it reverse the pump or lock up the converter for engine braking? Could it even work like the early Cats brake saver? 

I'm guessing something to do with the oilfield the the extended bumper like that, however many of the old trucks around here with automatics worked as mixer trucks in feed-yards or silage cutter operations. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies .  I knew the knowledge I needed would be here . I always learn more about my internationals here than on an international forum. 

9 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Nice looking lH. Did that have a pump or winch of some kind on the front of it?    .....Hippy

4 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

A quick google search answered my transmission question: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/1965AllisonMTBrochure.pdf

Great truck with a great engine, All forged internals! Any idea was the PTO knob on this truck runs/ran? 

Thanks so much for that link BOBWhite.  I've been trying to find something like that. Unfortunately my google searches didn't get me anywhere near something like you shared. Thanks again !!

The strait frame right out through the grille to the front appears to have held a big winch.  You can see something big was bolted there. It looks like the bumper was out even farther but someone has cut it and moved the bumper back in closer to the grille. 

Theres also evidence of a large gearbox of some type that was mounted to the frame with a driveshaft going to the front of the truck. Its clear to see the spots where there was once hanger bearings .  The PTO control on the dash is for a trans mounted PTO.  At the moment it runs a shaft drive hydraulic pump. But its clear that's been added after. I think it originally ran a gearbox of some type . 

Keith 

Those frame channels look way bigger than any I have ever seen on a regular loadstar. I always thought they were some of the best styled trucks of the time. That cab and front clip design is timeless.

• Like 1

My first legal driving job with the proper license was in a '68 Loadstar plowing snow for a NH state contractor. lt had "Much l Do" lettered across the top of the grill.    .....Hippy  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Those frame channels look way bigger than any I have ever seen on a regular loadstar. I always thought they were some of the best styled trucks of the time. That cab and front clip design is timeless.

Boy your right about the frame channels! I went and took a pic of another twin screw parked by my house for a size reference and they look about 1/2 the size.

IMG_CCE9E363888D-1.thumb.jpeg.678fb4abdd9cb2901df0d30156c1c011.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 67RModel said:

That real deep frame is a double frame over the original rail, I have seen that on dump trucks.  Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Boy your right about the frame channels! I went and took a pic of another twin screw parked by my house for a size reference and they look about 1/2 the size.

IMG_CCE9E363888D-1.thumb.jpeg.678fb4abdd9cb2901df0d30156c1c011.jpeg

1 minute ago, terry said:

That real deep frame is a double frame over the original rail, I have seen that on dump trucks.  Terry:MackLogo:

Yes , the frame is like nothing I've seen.  Its almost 15 inches deep with a 9 inch frame in behind it . Its double from back to front. 9 inches over the front and rear suspension . The frame rails extend past / through the grill.  I haven't been able to find another one like that with google searches . 

image.jpeg.0d3c44fc648d48959cb21e06a684b61c.jpegIMG_8899.jpeg.fd212f0b65be5516c46c91558678b48c.jpeg

• Like 1

Keith 

as I read this thread, the more I really like internationals..  Me and my best friend had scouts back in the mid 80's, and I currently own a 48 KB-7, as you may know..  I am really leaning towards wanting more IH's of any kind..  Thanks for the inspiration..  Jojo

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

as I read this thread, the more I really like internationals..  Me and my best friend had scouts back in the mid 80's, and I currently own a 48 KB-7, as you may know..  I am really leaning towards wanting more IH's of any kind..  Thanks for the inspiration..  Jojo

My attraction to internationals is because of my father and my very first jobs. I grew up with them . Drove my first Mack in the middle 90's and realized what I had been missing.  For reliability , power, and durability I don't think a R model or DM can be beat. I just have a soft spot for my binders . Brings back good memories . 

• Like 1

Keith 

I wonder if that was one of those trucks with the giant vacuum cleaner on it.  I remember seeing those with some kind of hose reel (?) on the front.  Truck looks to be in very good shape.

6 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I wonder if that was one of those trucks with the giant vacuum cleaner on it.  I remember seeing those with some kind of hose reel (?) on the front.  Truck looks to be in very good shape.

I think anything could be possible. I have some e-mails out hoping to find some history. 

• Like 1

Keith 

On 3/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, BOBWhite said:

We have a GMC grain truck with a V6 (non running) and an Allison

Do you know what cubic inch V6 it has? That engine family is crazy interesting and has a lot of other unique engines based off of it. 

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

Do you know what cubic inch V6 it has? That engine family is crazy interesting and has a lot of other unique engines based off of it. 

I believe it was either the 351 or the 401 but it very well could have been the giant 478. We didn't use it for many years and I don't remember why we parked it. 

They had a diesel version of them too, my uncle told me that they built the gas motor around the design of the diesel instead of the other way around like the 5.7 Olds.