I need a 12 volt starter for my '48 KB-7

Go to solution Solved by Geoff Weeks,

no ,,,  seriously..  I am going to make a crank handle so I can start it from the front..   Of course I have never cranked a car or truck like that,  so my learning curve is wide...  jojo

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

no ,,,  seriously..  I am going to make a crank handle so I can start it from the front..   Of course I have never cranked a car or truck like that,  so my learning curve is wide...  jojo

Best to keep your thumb on the same side of the crank handle with your hand if you grasp it like a beer you will appreciate the timing advance difference and a little backfire when things are not perfect 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

For a not really large engine it's quite possible. Especially if it's a gasser. I started some rigs with hand crank in deep past and as I remember it was easy. It works good for old low compression gassers when you don't need fast revs. I even think old ZIL-130 trucks with 6 liter OHV V8 could be started that way and it was regulary done by drivers in the past.

One thing I'm sure it would be much easier than inventing hydraulic starting system driven from the brakes :)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Yes Vlad.  It is a low compression gasser.. it is set up for hand cranking, I just don't have a crank handle.. so I will be making one.  I expect it to be just fine.  It runs good and starts right up.  I wonder if I should run a choke cable to the grill so I can choke it up front.. what do you think?? 

37 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Do you mean the one with the plane?

No Vlad, there is another longer video of the same truck.

It has a better shot of the inertia starter, the lever used to engage it, and how long it spins on the stored energy.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

15 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Crank starters lol thank god we don’t have to deal with those … I have never even seen anybody use one in person… bob 

I watched an old timer break his leg after kick starting a model t and it kicked back because he had the timing set wrong.

He swore kick starting was safer. He also broke his wrist years earlier, that was why he started kicking the crank. 

I never had any issues starting the "T" because I always used the magnito to start it, not the battery ignition.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

No Vlad, there is another longer video of the same truck.

It has a better shot of the inertia starter, the lever used to engage it, and how long it spins on the stored energy.

Guy was explaining about the canisters in the front of it. Had exploded view of the inertia starter, history of the truck's purpose.   I loved it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I aint goin' nowhere...  :)  I would miss you guy's...   :)  air start isnt in the budget.  this truck does not have an air compressor.  Hyd. brakes, which I just fixed with new lines and wheel cylinders and shoes. It will be fine..  I just have to take care of the trucks that cart my wife and I around first..  thanks bud... jojo

Where did you find the wheel cylinders?. My '44 KB needs them and I was told that no cylinders or kits are available so I was just planing on modifying mine to accept the cups etc from a newer available cylinder (if I ever get around to it). 

I am curious why you want to convert to 12V neg ground?. This is a common practice with Model A guys as well. For wiring, you can get the cloth covered wire from most model A supply houses so you don't have to hide your wires. Of course if you are going to 12V you don't need as skookum of a wire as you do with 12V (the reason that auto manufacturers switched from 6V to 12V in the first place.). As mentioned, you CAN run your 6V starter on 12V and the polarity should not matter. If was me I would look into having the starter rewound for 12V, sand blast and paint the housing while apart. I know some guys with 6V vehicle running 8V battery for easier starting. Apparently does not blow the lights. One buddy of mine has a 1950 Ford truck that won't always start with the starter but starts right uo when you push start it. The starter draws too much power leaving the spark weak. He added a switch to supply full power to the starter when cranking but an 8V battery would have sufficed.

Edited by Licensed to kill

As far as going to 12 volt, I guess is because of replacement parts that are easy to get.  I also don't have a bunch of money to buy the 6 volt parts.. I am going to try to clean my starter and inspect it. It has some rust..  we'll see..  jojo

LTK..  I can't post the picture of the place where I got the wheel cylinders right now, but I did post them on a thread I started about the wheel cylinders for my '48.. can you search it out? 

This makes me think back a year or two ago there was some guy on here asking about switching a 6V system over two 12V and I told it wasn't necessary unless he was after a bunch of modern 12V accessories. I offered up a good deal of objective information and he wanted to kill me. I got the impression he was really mad that I suggested keeping it 6V. I actually think it was a International KB too. 

I could keep it 6 volt, for some reason I thought it would be better, and cheaper to maintain.  I already installed 12 volt headlights. Hate to waste that 50 bucks:)  I do believe the engine ran better with the 12 volt battery instead of the 6 volt battery that's in it now..  I guarantee I wasnt the Mad Guy..  jojo

HaHa yea it definitely wasn't you. I think he bought a KB from somewhere and somehow found out it had also been listed here on the for sale section. He made an account then got really mad at me and dissappeared right after. I have never seen his name pop up since. 

Is your KB a "regular" distributer with breaker points and a coil for the ignition? I can't imagine a1948 would have a magneto. 

52 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

This makes me think back a year or two ago there was some guy on here asking about switching a 6V system over two 12V and I told it wasn't necessary unless he was after a bunch of modern 12V accessories. I offered up a good deal of objective information and he wanted to kill me. I got the impression he was really mad that I suggested keeping it 6V. I actually think it was a International KB too. 

Sometimes a guy (I was going to type "a woman" with cross out letters but seems they are not avalible anymiore) may programm his brain cells so hard with some idea he would push forward as a diesel loc no matter who whould happen to be on his way.

3 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Where did you find the wheel cylinders?. My '44 KB needs them and I was told that no cylinders or kits are available so I was just planing on modifying mine to accept the cups etc from a newer available cylinder (if I ever get around to it). 

There is common practice of sleeving brake cylinders and making them to closest size of avalible seals. A friend of mine used to make brass liners. My guess was they wouldn't work really long because of wear but he stated that's fine for hobby use. And no chances they rot.

Probably you knew that and too possibly you know it better than me :)