I need a 12 volt starter for my '48 KB-7

Go to solution Solved by Geoff Weeks,

Hi guy's...  I need a starter for my '48 Int. KB-7.  It is a 6 volt, positive ground truck, but I am changing it to 12 volt neg. ground..  The current starter is a Delco 737 Z / 259595..   I have been on-line for over 2 hours, with no luck..  Does anyone know of a company that can cross reference this starter, and possibly know if there is a 12 volt version. 

Part 2..   When I got this truck I used a 12 volt battery, not knowing it was 6 volt.  it actually started just fine.  Is it possible, that a 6 volt starter is capable of handeling 12 volts, just like some truck starters that are 12/24 volt? I dont beleive the 12 volts is what causes my starter to click, I think it is because it is really rusty and has some rot.  Pics are on the way..Jojo

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Is it possible, that a 6 volt starter is capable of handeling 12 volts

It should be Fine..!!

My father used to tell Me, It was quite common to change old cars to 12 volt & leave the 6volt starter in place.. it'll actually start easier as It's spinning over faster..!!

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I was hoping so Hayseed..  It did start up much better with a 12 volt battery.  and it ran better too. 

Thanks 67RModel,  I will check it out..  jojo

12 volt will work on that 6 volt unit, but it will eventually. die. 

why not have a local rebuilder convert it? you can go from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground, or leave it as a 12 pos unit. 

i would convert it and the truck to 12 volt negative ground though.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I am converting to 12 volt neg. ground.  I already have some of it done.  The starter is in rough shape, take another look at the pictures.  I had to switch gears..   My Toyota, threw an exh. code and I found a leaking cat. joint and manifold.  I just removed the exhuast from the manifold to the muffler..  My manifold is cracked in several places.  So the KB-7 money is making a U-Turn..  :( I will keep in touch if I get good news on the KB-7 starter. Thanks guys..   jojo

Yes, I did the same thing with it old Chevy truck years ago. It spins  like mad  .. I didn’t have a truck much more than six months I traded it for 75 Ford pickup. So I can’t say how long it will last as TJ mentioned.  Just keep using it until it burns out if it does  all I did was change all the lightbulbs. Can’t remember about the heater blower Bob 

• Like 1

Im going to put a delco alternator on it for now until I can afford one of those alternators that looks like the 'old timey'..  one that is on it now. 

• Like 1

Just a suggestion bud ain’t nobody gonna care what it looks like but you I would just leave it on there if you have it but yes I don’t blame you if you’re in that fussy . We are all very fussy at some point. How about some thing?… Bob

Thanks Bob,  I'm really not fussy.. Don't have the wallet for that.  My thoughts have always been to try to keep the 1948 look, for when I bring it to truck shows..  I want to hide the modern reliability under the 'Old Timey' look..  I'm even goint to try and leave the old wiring in place but have my new wiring sorta hidden..  just sayin'..  I hope you had a good weekend Bob...  jojo

Well Joey, I am afraid it was a little too short. Did  get a little done on the  DM model which I’ve been trying to get to  for a long long time but thanks for asking. Hopefully you did as well. Not sure if it’s my age or what but they sure go by quick Friday night to Monday morning. Seems like they’re almost connected lol Bob

• Like 1

All Good Bob,   My everyday truck threw a code for exhaust. Inspection due this month..  I removed the exh. from the Manifold to the muffler..  Manifold is cracked, #2 o2 sensor just fell out, lots of rust, and B.S.  so I am fixing this truck first.  Not a big deal.... just more time and money..   Still WAYYYYY cheaper than makin a payment on a new(er) truck... I've had this truck for 22 years..  Treated me better than a lot of people have..  just sayin'.....  jojo

No good news yet on getting a starter..  However, 3 of my trucks went down since yesterday.  I have 2 of them back on the road, the 3rd. one is going to be a bit pricy, so the '48 is going to have to wait a bit..  Jojo

so true Bob..  I have the '48,,  2 years now..  I have gotten some good things done, but I obviously have to keep my daily drivers, driving. It's all good..  jojo

On 3/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, Joey Mack said:

'67RModel  ... I went to the IH forum and created an acct.  I should have done it 2 years ago when I bought my IH..   Thanks again, Jojo

So are we going to loose you??

As for the starter - just a thought. An air start?:)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I aint goin' nowhere...  :)  I would miss you guy's...   :)  air start isnt in the budget.  this truck does not have an air compressor.  Hyd. brakes, which I just fixed with new lines and wheel cylinders and shoes. It will be fine..  I just have to take care of the trucks that cart my wife and I around first..  thanks bud... jojo