My first B model 1965 b462

That thing is in great shape. Congrats. I just watched a youtube of a "64 B422"??? and it had the same air cleaner as on this truck but recently, I was told here that the "strapless" can was pre '59 and now this is the second truck from the mid 60's to sport one. A bit confusing. 

Great looking truck I like the grille that's on it looks diffrent than all the others . diesel would be nice in it I have a converted b 42 that somone did years ago wouldn't go over 45mph rear end was geared too deep you would have to check your rear end ratio

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Nice score. Looks like a super truck.  My Mack Salesman's book lists a B46S.  It has a EN 401 Magnadyne engine (flathead 6) with a SWD 56 bogie. This model aimed at the dumper/mixer market. Looks like the highest ratio for this set up is a 6.45, so even with the .85 ratio in high split with the TRQ 77 (baby quad) you wont have much road speed. I had a B42T with the same engine and trans and it ran super. It was a single axle and I swapped in a higher ratio carrier and was able to run 65 with ease. I too thought about swapping in a diesel but the truck was too nice to alter.

Looked your truck up. Made from 1960 to 1965. 110 total produced.  On the rears the ratios only get worse, 7's, 8's, and 9',s.

I was wrong on the engine. Looking at your photos you have the Thermodyne gas engine. Either the EN438  160 HP  or the EN464B at 170 HP.

5 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

That thing is in great shape. Congrats. I just watched a youtube of a "64 B422"??? and it had the same air cleaner as on this truck but recently, I was told here that the "strapless" can was pre '59 and now this is the second truck from the mid 60's to sport one. A bit confusing. 

Whoever told you those air cleaners were pre 59 was misinformed. 

• Like 1

wow,,,,that sucker is tight man....no those gas jobs sound real good leave it alone..haha everyone wants a diesel but if its all in good running condition and low miles i would leave it alone.....have a ball....i would love to take that mixer off your hands but im way too far away.....my DM would look complete with it....bob

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Does that B-model have a short hood the same as B-67 has? Definitely looks shorter than a B-61.

You are correct. I thought something looked different but couldn't;t put my finger on it. Thought it was the mixer that made it look different but the hood is definitely shorter. Good eye.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with the others on here. This truck is too nice of an example to disassemble. Especially since its a rare model to begin with with only 110 ever being produced. I cant even remember the last time I saw a B model mixer and never in this nice of original condition. They way things seem to be anymore original condition trucks like this seem to bring crazy money from collectors when consigned at reputable auction houses. I would clean and polish this truck up as best you could take about 150 pictures of it and consign it with Mecum auctions or similar. You will most likely end up with enough cash to buy two of what you actually want. Just my opinion though.

• Like 2

It will take finesse to get a diesel in there.  They lay over pretty good to clear the doghouse in a short hood.  Not very condusive to being worked on either.

Great find, but along with others it will take a lot of changes to make it user friendly for your purpose.  You might as well start with a better candidate.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That is a great looking original truck.. Before you go the Auction route I would contact Dave Coutu at the Keystone Museum, Colonial Heights VA, to see if they might be interested in it???? Many of us know him as he is the man who takes all their equipment to shows and is on this site once in a while as user: Maint1.. He might even know of a suitable B model tractor available to replace the mixer?? 

• Like 1

Brocky