H Model Restoration

You're doing a great job, truck looks excellent. Would you be willing to share the part numbers for the cab jack repair parts? My H 63 jack is bad, and I haven't been able to identify it. You might have noticed in the Mack owners manual that it states that the cab should be supported by something other than the hydraulic system when working under it. I usually stick a 4x4 underneath for that purpose. It fits nicely into a small slightly dented area under the cab, where I guess others before me did the same thing. It would be a shame to scratch up your nice new paint that way, but maybe you could come up with a better idea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Hmm... What is that wig-wag-thingy supposed to be doing?

Vlad, It is a low air pressure warning device that dropped a flag directly in front of your eyes!!! Long before electric warning buzzers and lights..

• Like 2

Brocky

30 minutes ago, Draggin Wagon said:

Give me advance notice on test run and I'll ride the old Draggin Wagon up and run interference for you.

Fuzzy Buzzard said that  

Great! Still have a long way to go, many hoses, wires, lights, seats, etc. to install.

You also could have used the name Large SUV.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 7:51 AM, steve s. said:

You're doing a great job, truck looks excellent. Would you be willing to share the part numbers for the cab jack repair parts? My H 63 jack is bad, and I haven't been able to identify it. You might have noticed in the Mack owners manual that it states that the cab should be supported by something other than the hydraulic system when working under it. I usually stick a 4x4 underneath for that purpose. It fits nicely into a small slightly dented area under the cab, where I guess others before me did the same thing. It would be a shame to scratch up your nice new paint that way, but maybe you could come up with a better idea. 

Sure! My pump is an Ausco DP-148, the kit number is 02275 from Lazzar's. They also have diagrams of the assembly on their website. The vee packing for the cylinders is VS10004X112. I got them locally but there are websites that sell them. You're right on the safety prop, it could save your life if something gave out.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, 1961H67 said:

Great Job your doing on the H Model,, It’s good to see someone restoring one , you really don’t see that many ! I have had a H67 for years, it was bought new here in North Carolina, then some friends of mine got it in the 70s to pull a lowboy, I got it and painted it and did a “ Half “ Restoration, I stretched it and made a rollback, I still use it , if there’s something I can help you with , let me know, ( It looks like you know more about a H then me , Great Work) ! I know a guy that has 2 that needs restoring, not sure what his plans are . 

It's good that you still use it, so many are sitting back in the weeds rusting into the ground. Thank you!

On 9/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, 1961H67 said:

Great Job your doing on the H Model,, It’s good to see someone restoring one , you really don’t see that many ! I have had a H67 for years, it was bought new here in North Carolina, then some friends of mine got it in the 70s to pull a lowboy, I got it and painted it and did a “ Half “ Restoration, I stretched it and made a rollback, I still use it , if there’s something I can help you with , let me know, ( It looks like you know more about a H then me , Great Work) ! I know a guy that has 2 that needs restoring, not sure what his plans are . 8B7AFB98-7C46-4187-B080-0887139726DD.thumb.jpeg.f62dbace84ffe2aab3f2981dd7980046.jpeg

I remember a green single-axle tractor like that operating in Buncombe county back in the '90s (also pulling a lowboy).  Wonder if...

Sorry.  I meant the truck was blue, not green.  Not sure what I was thinking about there.  It was a medium-dark blue color.  The owner did a good bit of small-medium dozer work around the county.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
had the color wrong

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

This one was Green , It was bought new in Winston Salem , It was originally ordered with a factory Turbo ( Which it still has & and a Pyrometer in the dash) with a Dead axle on the rear, The second owner Pulled a lowboy here in Buncombe co from the early 70’s till around 1988 , ( mostly a 175 IH Loader ) it sat  till I got it in 1996 , the dead axle was worn out so I removed it, I painted it Red and pulled Antique tractors with a lowboy for a while before I made a rollback out of it ,, I believe I do remember a Blue one pulling a lowboy around Buncombe co in the 80’s and 90’s maybe towards the Northern part of the county , I’ll ask around about it , Thanks 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope that old starter valve works okay for you.  I wanted to use the one I had for my starter but was warned against it because of air leaks.  I used a new air button on the dash and tank mounted valve and it holds 100# of air for 6 months.  I'll be curious to hear how well yours works.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"