Yep, a Sad Day Indeed

other dog

Ollie went outside with Zina earlier today when she was taking some trash out to the burn barrel.  He saw a squirrel right away and took off in hot pursuit- right towards the road. And he never goes towards the road. Until today. And a pickup truck pulling a trailer happened to be passing by and hit him and killed him. I heard Zina screaming and went running but he was dead when I got there.

She was sitting on the ground crying, she had to see the whole thing. The guy in the pickup stopped, he was almost crying, and apologized over and over. I was almost crying too- ok, I was crying- when I picked him up and carried him over to the porch. Everybody loved Ollie.

I carried him around back where she couldn't see and laid him on the ground by Other Dog's grave, then got the shovel out of the shed and started digging his grave. 

It was raining then, and Zina came out and asked if she could have him cremated, and of course I said "of course you can, if that's what you want". So I carried him back around front and put him in the shed. I had started putting him in a black plastic bag around back, but I didn't close it. I've been out to the shed and looked at him about 5 times now, hoping he was going to "come to", but it's not going to happen. It just still doesn't seem real.

This was just this morning. 

20210328_113343.thumb.jpg.83a70132c3dfcc5e2a85cf0de46942a7.jpg

• Sad 3

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I had to put down my skippy two months ago. I had him for 14 years and he rode with me every ware all the parts places my truck dealer had treats for him. Really tough job for me to deal with. I know first hand the heart break. 

• Sad 1

Thank you. This was rough, I thought the world of Other Dog but his passing was not unexpected,  he was very old and didn't get around very good anymore.  But Ollie was our buddy, a fun one at that, full of life, he went everywhere with us. I would always call from just down the road when I was coming home, so he could watch for me out of the front door. Then she would let him out after I stopped and he would run out, like Dino greeting Fred Flintstone I always said. 

• Like 2

Damn. I still remember the phone call when my wife told me ol' Dozer had passed. At least I didn't have to watch it happen, though...and it was unexpected & quick, not violent & messy. He was lethargic & having trouble breathing, so the wife took him to the vet. He collapsed within 20 minutes of getting there & just like that he was gone. Last time I saw him, I was on my way out the door heading to work, just like I had every other day since he retired from trucking to babysit the wife's dog.

I can't imagine seeing that situation unfolding knowing what was about to happen and not being able to do a damn thing to stop it. That's not something I care to ever see.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

18 hours ago, davehummell said:

I had to put down my skippy two months ago. I had him for 14 years and he rode with me every ware all the parts places my truck dealer had treats for him. Really tough job for me to deal with. I know first hand the heart break. 

wow we had to put our chihuahua skippy down couple years ago,,,,had him 17 years,from puppy,,it sucked.....bob

Oh, man.  Sorry to hear Tom.  It's tough when it happens like that.

I remember when I was quite young, not sure even if in Jr High yet.  We had rescued a stray collie(we seemed to do that a lot back then with lots of different animals).  It had only been a short time, it was winter, and "Princy" got loose, ran across the yard and darted out in the street from behind a big snow pile at the end of the drive.  Car hit him, never knew it happened as they never slowed down.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

34 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Oh, man.  Sorry to hear Tom.  It's tough when it happens like that.

I remember when I was quite young, not sure even if in Jr High yet.  We had rescued a stray collie(we seemed to do that a lot back then with lots of different animals).  It had only been a short time, it was winter, and "Princy" got loose, ran across the yard and darted out in the street from behind a big snow pile at the end of the drive.  Car hit him, never knew it happened as they never slowed down.

Yeah, it really sucks. I took off from work today to be with Zina, and today is worse than yesterday.  Ollie was only 7 years old, full of energy. She keeps blaming herself,  asking me if there was anything she could have done differently,  and I keep telling her that it was not her fault, it was just a freak accident. He never went to the road, but he did. There's hardly any traffic here, but there was then.

We took him over to the funeral home today, he will be cremated.  

• Sad 1

we have 2 of our pup's in urn's as well...  somehow it gave us comfort.  they are still here, so-to-speak, .. Give Zina a hug for me.  I'm truly sorry.. Jojo

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

we have 2 of our pup's in urn's as well...  somehow it gave us comfort.  they are still here, so-to-speak, .. Give Zina a hug for me.  I'm truly sorry.. Jojo

Thank you,I will do that.

Amen Brother..... I sometimes look at my 3 pup's, and just "Well-up"  They aren't just Dogs.... If people loved each other Half as much as a Dog loves us and we love them..... We would only have to watch the news.... to get the weather report... You Go Dog!!  Jojo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Amen Brother..... I sometimes look at my 3 pup's, and just "Well-up"  They aren't just Dogs.... If people loved each other Half as much as a Dog loves us and we love them..... We would only have to watch the news.... to get the weather report... You Go Dog!!  Jojo

True. He was going to Harrisonburg and Macungie this year, so many of you would have gotten to meet him.

Zina had already reserved rooms at pet friendly motels for us.