Why do the DM series have the strange cabs?

Thanks for the info, I knew that you would have the right answer. I wasn't sure whether it is an RM or not. There is a discussion on SPAAMFAA's Facebook page about what model it is. 

Most thought that it is a DM but I knew it wasn't due to the normal cab placement.     

Edited by bulldogboy

To me the dm600 was ugly but I could back the truck into some really tight holes and drop the roll off box especially remember one hospital on the jersey shore, had to drop the empty box on the street and back down an alley with the doctors cars all over the place pick up the full box and take it out and then put the empty box in its place. I remember one day they sent me there with a new r model and it would not fit. I got on the radio and borrowed a dm from another driver and got the job done.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, 41chevy said:

null

DM600

http://687255f1deb7245aadb0a6986ad7e1-vi.jpg

I know  they were/are out there ; it's just a better day when the job ticket said  working on a DM800. had a head gasket job  on old white day cab with 220?cummins  slant six half cab. like the half cab 600 ; install 2nd 3rd head and torque 6 corner 325lb studs;; another back breaker.  those are the days   you look to hang an engineer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 9:43 PM, JoeH said:

RM is an all wheel drive R model.

It is interesting that in a tandem truck the RM could be ordered with a non driven front axle.  Don't think too many were ordered that way!

Mack RM Brochure Large - Copy.jpg

Mack RM Brochure Large - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:04 AM, j hancock said:

Yellow DMM driven front axle offset cab.

Blue RM driven front axle center cab.

Mack DMM.JPG

Mack RM.jpg

Looks like there were DMM's with butterfly hood and even non-front driven.

1977 MACK DMM686.1.jpg

3250673140_2_7_p5CoUt1r.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 5/4/2020 at 4:43 AM, JoeH said:

RM is an all wheel drive R model.

Depending on a way you count it.

RM has similar to DMM chassis rails, front axle setup and transfer case. So actually all the powerplant and the chassis. Only the cab was used off a R-model and I suppose it was fitted on its own RM mounting brackets.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, j hancock said:

That is an RD model even though the emblem says R600.  It was available with the familiar fiberglass tilt hood or the optional steel butterfly hood.  The RD model was introduced by Mack in 1970.

The RD was built with heavy duty components for severe service.  That would be a good chassis for the weight of a fire truck tanker.

Couldn't that be a R-model with butterfly hood? Mack chassis (frame) brochure indicates RD (taller) frame railf for an R-model firetruck

On 4/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, mechohaulic said:

The 800 series gave  a person the opportunity  of higher horsepower for a heavy haul mover.  imagine working on a 600 with a 864 /866 V8 or large cummins or cat.  and besides  what a beautiful majestic looking truck :DM800  LOL. 

i broke in on a 2 stick U model,,,,with a DMV inspecter.....pretty cool old days........and yes eat your heart out....newbee aahahahahahahahahaha....nowdays,,,,these kids wont even hire on without an automatic transmission,,,and a XM radio...lol.bob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, j hancock said:

That green DMM with the van body must be a rare Dog!

One more of the kind in my 'puter.

Hope none of those watermark holders will have a fan switched on.

dmm_dmm-ex_steel_hood_5067.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, Vladislav said:

One more of the kind in my 'puter.

Hope none of those watermark holders will have a fan switched on.

dmm_dmm-ex_steel_hood_5067.jpg

Beautiful  looking machine,  enough to make me come out of retirement  to drive .. NO plastic  all steel 

• Like 1