DM800 with SCRAPER

11 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

Sorry to say that truck made a boat ride.We brought it new in 84, my cousins sold it in 2002 I think.The most we pulled with that truck was somewhere in the range of 200,000 lbs or more never failed us.

That’s a shame

2 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

old square body chevy in the back as blocker to …..those pans always amazed me. too young to see them at work.  did they have to clear everything, stumps and everything and the pans were just used for grade? or were there no stopping them?

Well never ran one but for sure they did not handle stumps.  Just think of a razor blade as the cutting edge. Lower the bowl and raise the front apron as far as needed to keep up with the flow of material coming in.  And that would be dictated by type of material and traction the prime mover had as well as was there a push dozer behind.  Remember probably before the late forties, most scrapers were cable jobs pulled by a dozer.  

Then next generation had  the pull unit as in this photo and they were either two wheel like this one or one with a four axle-like the Euclid in this photo that also had a rear pusher engine.  

Go to a site I think called "California earth movers" and you see the state of the art-  big cats equiped with tow bars in front so  two machines work in tandem and when one is in the "cut" the back unit has that raised and it is pushing and when the front one lifts the bowl and is clear of the cut the back machine drops the hook and gets an assist from the front machine-at least that is how I think is the "drill"

Question I would have is what is that cage over the bowl?

100_0447.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Well never ran one but for sure they did not handle stumps.  Just think of a razor blade as the cutting edge. Lower the bowl and raise the front apron as far as needed to keep up with the flow of material coming in.  And that would be dictated by type of material and traction the prime mover had as well as was there a push dozer behind.  Remember probably before the late forties, most scrapers were cable jobs pulled by a dozer.  

Then next generation had  the pull unit as in this photo and they were either two wheel like this one or one with a four axle-like the Euclid in this photo that also had a rear pusher engine.  

Go to a site I think called "California earth movers" and you see the state of the art-  big cats equiped with tow bars in front so  two machines work in tandem and when one is in the "cut" the back unit has that raised and it is pushing and when the front one lifts the bowl and is clear of the cut the back machine drops the hook and gets an assist from the front machine-at least that is how I think is the "drill"

that is exactly how a tandem setup works. the rear machine pushes the front one when it is filling it's bowl, then as the front lifts it's bowl it lowers it's "hoop" over the rear machines front hook and pulls it as the rear fills it's bowl. 

i ran an old terex TS-36. 12V71 detriot in front, and a 8V71 in the rear.

Question I would have is what is that cage over the bowl?

we used to make that "cage" out of wood so low wires would slide up and over the machine instead of having to put someone on the machine with a pole to push the wires up and over it when transporting. 

the push plate in the bowl is usually higher than the cab, and will very easily snag low hanging wires. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..