Scam Calls

CaptainCrutch

If I don't recognize the number displayed or they don't leave a message on the system, I don't even think about reaching for the phone.  I certainly don't want to talk to the "IRS" but do regret missing out on the number of free tips that I have won!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Well I wouldn’t give them any vital information or any actual access to anything important, just waste their time. There’s actually a way to set up a virtual machine on your computer so that they can’t hack your actual computer, but they think they are. Too many people fall for these scams and just a few minutes could prevent it from being someone who will actually fall for it.

Another story was when we got a call about us winning a cruise after our application was approved but we answered the phone with “Hi caller, you’re on the air.” We never applied for a free cruise.

Wasted almost half an hour with this Indian group wasting their time thinking they’d accidentally won a free trip to Disney, and we’re on a radio show, trying to play it off as if they were really on a radio show.

Weird thing was, when we asked for an address they gave us ours. I know how, there are websites that allow you to pay $15 or something like that and if you know a person’s name, address, or phone number, you can get the rest. But it does make the scam more convincing, pretty smart on their part.

Any time you get a pop up on your computer saying you have a virus, it’s fake, unless it’s your actual anti virus software. And if you do have a virus, take it to a computer shop, only call companies like geek squad about it.

When you know how some of these scams work, you tend to be able to have even more fun with them.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

I get 8 to 10 calls a day . Google business account ,pay off student loans , & extended warranty . If I do not recognize the number I just do not answer . If you had time it wood be good to keep them on the phone and screw with them .

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have to use my phone for my work, so I have to answer any calls that appear local in nature. So you can imagine the white heat of a thousand burning suns that is my fury when I answer and it is a scam call. A friend introduced me to a great app about 4-5 months ago called NOMOROBO. It automatically screens and rejects robodialed and robo spoofed calls. It costs $1.99 a months but I would pay $10.00 a month for it, thats how good it is. Some still get through, and my mood renders the decision to screw with them or hang up. If it's a female I start asking about their sexual preferences or if it's an indian I start talking about how much I would love a nice, thick juicy 100% beef hamburger or steak (that usually gets them cussing at you........) Oh, something else I learned, indian men don't like it when you make fun of them for not wanting to eat "at the Y." That really sets them off for some reason. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Something that really sets them off is if you say something close to ‘Ben chord’ or ‘behnchod’ (which a hard ch) which roughly translates to ‘one that has sexual relations with one’s sister’. It’s pretty great stuff heading them trying to translate their swears into English. It’s even funnier when they try to tell you you’re going to be arrested for wasting their time, to which I always respond with “Ok, I’ll be waiting, do you know my address or do I need to give it to you?” Usually they say a few more obscenities or threaten you some more before you finally get the *click* that marks the end to your fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I said it wrong , here is my current address: NYS  Home For The Criminally Insane, Building C, Cell #245 Central Islip  N.Y. .  I can't imagine why the nice man hung up, I even called back and asked him why he hung up. . .he hung up again..:twothumbsup:

Nice PT!  Now is that your winter home or summer?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

10 hours ago, j hancock said:

Nice PT!  Now is that your winter home or summer?

Only an occasional off day when I can't sit in my safe zone B Model.   :bmod_mix:

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

18 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Something that really sets them off is if you say something close to ‘Ben chord’ or ‘behnchod’ (which a hard ch) which roughly translates to ‘one that has sexual relations with one’s sister’. It’s pretty great stuff heading them trying to translate their swears into English. It’s even funnier when they try to tell you you’re going to be arrested for wasting their time, to which I always respond with “Ok, I’ll be waiting, do you know my address or do I need to give it to you?” Usually they say a few more obscenities or threaten you some more before you finally get the *click* that marks the end to your fun.

Try repeating everything they say to you exactly with a Quicky Mart  Apu accent. Generally takes a minute or two before they rocket over the edge.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I got another one of these insurance scam calls. The fun part tonight was the guy trying to tell me he’s never heard of ‘the Mack’. He hung up after a while of trying to inform him that Mack does in fact exist. Definitely a new one.

Had another one on the phone the other day trying to help me with my student loans. I had him going for 13 minutes before he finally caught on and I told him that I had no student loans. He was so pissed I got M-F'd (they say the highest form of flattery from a scammer is to be M-F'd) 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 years later...