Back Home

41chevy

29 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Since the end of April up in been Maine, Nova Scotia and New Hampshire. Needed a bit time to sort things out where no one would look for me. Even blew up the engine in my 55 Chevy gasser at New England Raceway at the Northeastern Gasser meet. Literally poured out the bottom end. Felt good as hell to  make four and a quarter runs it that hard. Note to all, never, never ever launch a blown injected ethanol fueled small block at 6500 rpm.

bottom line says it got pretty radical

2 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

Just curious. Did you ever make it to Brockton to the chassis shop?

Yes, Dropped it of sent him payment and now I'll pick it up in spring and pay the storage fees. I kind of lost interest for a while last summer.

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

My dad died in July. Old farmer & trucker. Married 53 years. Mom says the quiet house at night is what gets to her. Maybe get that motor replaced and rev it up if it gets too quiet?

If the kids don’t get you a Rev limiter for Christmas serve up some of those 7 month old fridge pick’in’s for them. 

I agree with your mom, nights and breakfast time.

Don't believe in rev limiters most times never even look at the tach after launch. Been racing that car since 1968 it's like second sense. Running the same 4 speed and 57 Olds rear since 1974 just eat engines. One point in the late 70's I was blowing up an engine a week street racing, all big block chevies. .

Red line was 7800 small journal 327 destroked to 302. 11.75 to 1 comp. 60% overdrive on the 4/71 blower drive for around 25lbs boost and 6500 rpm launches and never lift to the lights.  7500 rpm shifts seemed to stress the bottom end.  Got almost a year out of it so all's good.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Guess the blower did the damage? Those small journal’s good for that rpm & compression? 

I drag raced for awhile; ran small block 400 & shifted at 7400; (poor man engine) had trw pistons ( 2477?) I think; small dome; Lunati roller; some nascar Chevy aluminum heads that we had to make valve covers for (can’t remember; thinking something about the pushrods) 588 gear; powerglide, in a 72 nova; ran 5.77 in a 1/8th. It would set 60’ marker with rear tires. It was fun!

1 dominator carb, no nitrous  

Edited by 1965

On 11/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, 1965 said:

Guess the blower did the damage? Those small journal’s good for that rpm & compression? 

I drag raced for awhile; ran small block 400 & shifted at 7400; (poor man engine) had trw pistons ( 2477?) I think; small dome; Lunati roller; some nascar Chevy aluminum heads that we had to make valve covers for (can’t remember; thinking something about the pushrods) 588 gear; powerglide, in a 72 nova; ran 5.77 in a 1/8th. It would set 60’ marker with rear tires. It was fun!

1 dominator carb, no nitrous  

Small journal will take the revs long as you run a girdle and ARP studs, Brodex heads 1.5 and 1.7 roller rockers exhaust and intake ,ancient Crower roller cam, Jessel gear drive and Wiseco Pro True blower pistons. Running  ethanol and 25 of boost not so much if you run it over 6000. 4;56 airlock with 31.5 tall 11inch Goodyears

Insert other media qj9pojawi1dkx3ykbvea.png.c498928cf502c4b2048a6bd60fb7753e.png

f819cyznqgybssnkcd2r.png.8f6f00adb3103ab29cba77381f770dc3.png

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 hours ago, MACKS said:

Sorry for your loss Chevy..

Thank you. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

dang man, i remembered you mentioning something about your wife passing in another thread i didn't realize that was something that had happened recently, my condolences. 

sounds like you had a fun time at the gasser meet anyway though despite dropping the bottom end allover the race track 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Glad to see you posting Paul. I hope you are doing well despite the setbacks. I have only been married to SWMBO for 13 years but I cannot even begin to fathom what it would be like to lose her. 

It's ups and downs, but each day gets a bit better. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 hours ago, Ezrider said:

dang man, i remembered you mentioning something about your wife passing in another thread i didn't realize that was something that had happened recently, my condolences. 

sounds like you had a fun time at the gasser meet anyway though despite dropping the bottom end allover the race track 😉

A lot of anger at that meet, seems I threw off their schedule oiling the track. 

• Haha 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Great stuff and all part of the fun of drag racing

Have never seen or heard of a 500 Caddie motor as they would be all most impossible for parts in Australia 

Having plans of building my own Australian style gasser in the not to distant future 

Been Australian style it will be 6 cylinder in  a Aussie car, just finding half decent cars now days is getting really costly or Im way out of date lol

Paul 

22 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Great stuff and all part of the fun of drag racing

Have never seen or heard of a 500 Caddie motor as they would be all most impossible for parts in Australia 

Having plans of building my own Australian style gasser in the not to distant future 

Been Australian style it will be 6 cylinder in  a Aussie car, just finding half decent cars now days is getting really costly or Im way out of date lol

Paul 

Six cylinders here run H/Gas. The 55 a few years ago had a 302 GMC truck six in it with a Wayne Cross Flow head, injection and a Hydro Stick Ran a 57 VW with a turbo Corvair in the late 1960's very , very quick for it's time. . Ran well but was very hard to get parts for.  Like to get an Australian Hemi Six to run in a Dart here.

A 500 c.i. Caddie is from the mid 1970's with after market heads, intake, cam and headers will easily make 600 plus h.p. and is only 80 pounds heavier than a Small Block Chevy. I have one installed in a 1964 Nova I was building for my wife. That will go into the 55.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE