WTH!

j hancock

Left the show today and the gear lever broke at the threads while shifting.  Hopefully I can get the broken thread portion out of the Select Air Knob.  Either will need a new stick or repair this one. I will look at it in a couple of days. 

This wasn't on my list of things to do....

shft knob - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

i had an old diamond reo loaner truck back in the 80's that had a broken shifter. they took a piece of black iron gas pipe and stuck it on the trans end, then jammed the shifter head into the pipe and called it good. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

13 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i had an old diamond reo loaner truck back in the 80's that had a broken shifter. they took a piece of black iron gas pipe and stuck it on the trans end, then jammed the shifter head into the pipe and called it good. 

what ever works :D

No extra spinach for me!

Took a quick look and it appears to have been cracked for quite a while at the point of the knob jamb nut. There is a little tiny section of really clean metal on the break and the rest of the damaged area looks a little dirty.

Thankfully it is a hobby truck and isn't on call for Monday morning.  It will be put on the repair list but at the moment, there are a couple items that are higher on the MUST DO list.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

That reminds me I was hauling riprap up in conn. and the shifter broke about five or six inches up from the top cover we didn't have a welder and no one would weld it for me so I found an old pipe and jimmied it on and drove that old brock for a month like that. What a pain but you sometimes have to make it work.

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 10:39 PM, davehummell said:

That reminds me I was hauling riprap up in conn. and the shifter broke about five or six inches up from the top cover we didn't have a welder and no one would weld it for me so I found an old pipe and jimmied it on and drove that old brock for a month like that. What a pain but you sometimes have to make it work.

The 79 F model I drove had a 10 speed overdrive transmission in it and when I dropped the first gear when I started up Christiansburg Mountain one night the gear shift felt a little funny...the next time I tried to downshift the whole stick just broke off in my hand. I pulled onto the shoulder to see what I could do and saw the handle to the hydraulic jack I carried laying in the side box. It just happened to be the perfect size to slide down over the few inches of the gear shift that was sticking through the floor. I put it over the shift lever, tapped it a couple of times,  put the hose clamps on the range selector valve, and rode on. The jack handle stayed on it the whole time I drove that truck.

• Haha 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.