Odd ball International

Truck Shop

There was an Identical Spec Truck to that. Imported Into Australia prior to Xmas, By an Avid International Collector..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

wow, sweet truck. i wonder if there is anything left of it, or if it has been relegated to rusting back into mother earth?

The frame is naturally a little rusty but the cab is in fairly good condition. I just got off the phone with the owner, he wants $10,000 for it. Too high in my opinion.

One ping only

43 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

knew a guy from ohio used to have a transtar same paint scheme as that one with a turboed 6-149 in it did a fine job

Wow. Never saw one that was not a stationary unit like the 12V149's. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

They didn’t make any kind of a 6-149. They had 12V’s that were 2 6V blocks.

You're right no 6-149 in line only the 6-110 . The V-149 from 8 to 20 cylinders.

Now that said there was a company in N.Y. called Dutchman Diesels that was supposed to be converting the 110 series to a larger cubic inch for high speed marine use wether using the V149 blocks or an other way. Never saw one close enough to see what was done..

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Must've been a beast with a 896ci engine in it. Probably should let yardo know so he has yet another engine he can repower another project with. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 minute ago, 41chevy said:

You're right no 6-149 in line only the 6-110  by V-149 from 8 to 20 cylinders.

Now that said there was a company in N.Y. called Dutchman Diesels that was supposed to be converting the 110 series to a larger cubic inch for high speed marine use wether using the V149 blocks or an other way. Never saw one close enough to see what was done..

I stand corrected    I saw this thing in 69-or 70 it did`nt have but 6 cyl .so it must  have been a 110 with an add. turbo it was hooked to a 4 axle lowboy with about a 70 ton crane cab on it  owner - driver said it was a 149   the truck had a heavy haul set up

I know I’m getting off track here; 6-110 was replaced by the 8V-71. I think they still made them up in the middle 60’s. They had more torque than the 8V-71’s and all the old timers loved them. I mostly worked on them in drag-lines.

My recollection is that the 6-110 wasn't used regularly in automotive styled diesel applications because of the cycling RPM.  GM did testing with PIE (Pacific Intermountain Express) and the 6-110 was not deemed worthwhile in trucks.  I would think there were a couple of 110's in owner operator built custom rigs.

Apparently the 6-110 in constant rpm uses such as gensets or stationary applications worked well.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

28 minutes ago, j hancock said:

My recollection is that the 6-110 wasn't used regularly in automotive styled diesel applications because of the cycling RPM.  GM did testing with PIE (Pacific Intermountain Express) and the 6-110 was not deemed worthwhile in trucks.  I would think there were a couple of 110's in owner operator built custom rigs.

Apparently the 6-110 in constant rpm uses such as gensets or stationary applications worked well.

The first 110’s had a different style blower, they turned a lot more rpm and couldn’t handle high engine rpm. So they designed that engine with the style that’s on all 2stroke Detroit’s (roots). By that time the 8V-71 came out & they discontinued the 110.