Road Closed

B MACK

Saw some pix on a Facebook page that follows the Amtrak Empire Builder train, BNSF is hiring construction companies with big equipment to keep the railroad open. They had one picture of a big excavator working from on top of a drift- Think that's what they call "snowcrete"!

The Cleveland highway been closed for the last 3 days because of mega drifts. Just opened late this morning. Roads are blowing shut as fast as they open them here in the flatland. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

IN '01 or 02 I had just got done hauling a lot of local cattle up to browning for summer pasture in late May or early June. Well no longer did everyone get their cattle up there it snowed 4 feet over a day and a half, killed lots of cattle then rained 5 or so inches and flooded like hell. I've seen snow (might not have been much) every month of the year. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

I went to College in Oswego NY.. Much of the same with "Lake Effect" snow.. There was a picture of the Main street taken in 1958 with some guys standing in an intersection downtown with one foot in the snow and the other on top on the signal light hanging in the center of the street.

Brocky

Seen similar snowmass in western MN and the Dakotas. Back in the 90s the national media featured a picture of a drift as high as a one story house out by Willmar, MN. If they would have driven a few more miles west they would have found a drift as high as a two story house!

3 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

How far is all that snow from kasapell mt?Was up that way about 3 years ago not many interstates in that area.

It's only an hour and a half east of Kalispell on highway 2. 

I rode the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago in early January of 2017 and hoped to see some of that but only got some flurries and there was snow cover but nothing like the pictures. It sure was cold though. I think that back in early winter the Empire Builder was shut down because of deep drifts.

This video was taken in the late 30's in the Tug Hill region of New York State in "Lake Effect" snow belt off the east end of Lake Ontario. It should give you a listing of other related videos.

• Like 2

Brocky

Those are all great pics !   Thanks 

A customer of mine told me that one of the most beautiful spots in the world was Montana. I think he meant in the summer.

However if you were inside , and didn't have to deal with snow , its very picturesque .

Brocky, that video is so cool.  I like that those were the days that people wanted to see the plow .  Now they blow the horn ,keep there high beams on behind us,  give the finger and throw stuff at us.  People are so appreciative . lol 

Keith 

I’m not in good service area so I’m having trouble googling but look up plowing The Going To The Sun Road and the plowing the Bear Tooth highway.