My trip to the junkyard

dogg rescue

I was looking for a pair of mufflers for one of our ch' s and I went to J and M truck salvage in Downer, Mn, I found a clean pair and stack brackets on these 06 visions. The owner said they had come from California and has been part of some carb program were the engine blocks had to have a hole torched in them, so they could not be in service. What a shame! We get into fist fights for trucks this rust free up here in ND an MN.

20170804_123851.jpg

20170804_124415.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

They never took into account the amount of time, money and pollution it costs to 1) make new vehicles and 2) to get replacement parts made instead of recycling. Logic never enters the conversation of "earth savers".

Interesting item on the cash for clunkers program, 90% of the vehicles traded in under the program were replaced with new SUV's and Urban pick ups.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, j hancock said:

With that said, in my opinion the various cash for clunker programs created a lot of waste of still useable vehicles.

7 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Welcome to Commiefornia

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

I remember all the videos that were posted by dealerships with cars that HAD to have the motor blown up during cash for clunkers.   Just sickening.

Agreed all.

We had a large number of cars traded in under cash for clunkers with many more years of life left. We were FORCED to kill them by draining the oil then pouring chemicals in the engine and make them run till they seized. The remarkable thing is how long some of these older engines took to die after doing all that. Sometimes it felt like putting a healthy older animal to sleep for no good reason. The worst for me was a early 90s mint stick shift Mustang GT convertible with no rust. The cash for clunker rebate was more that it was worth for the customer to sell privately.

Most people who bought under the program were already in the market for a car anyway and would have bought without the program.

Also many of these cars sentenced to die would have been affordable options for people who couldn't afford a new car or who wanted a soon to be classic or rare car.

In addition with so many pre owned cars taken off the market, it drove up the prices of other used cars making it harder for people with less income or money to afford one.

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

As always each of you has an excellent point! We are forced to live in a throwaway society! Having grown up (literally) in an auto salvage yard! I have a great respect for good used parts!my neighbor pulls a flatbed with a condo cab vision that doesn't look as good as those two! wtf! Even in the present state of mack reliability those two should have years left! During the last campaign to destroy vehicles that didn't meet certain emissions and gas mileage standards I watched them pour epoxy into low mileage engines that would interchange upwards into many of the new sport utility vehicles,pickups suburbans explorers etc! As several members pointed out no thought was given to the affect on the environment created by the production of new vehicles! Hybrid batteries require the mining of nickel and lead and the production of plastics for the case which is petroleum based,and on and on! As someone mentioned people who may be driving a paid for older car were now encouraged to turn the usable car in and go into debt with the rebate as a down payment on a car they couldnt afford and would soon be repossessed! I have nothing against New cars if properly maintained which will permit on average a usable life of 150000 to 250000 miles! Proper maintenance will support a number of industries....repair shops,auto parts stores tire stores and so on! The average motorist trades their car every 5 yrs. If they kept it even 2more yrs I believe the environment would benefit! Just noticed those visions are " cutoffs" which for all practical purposes makes them usable only for parts! Mack Tech just for laughs how does one "select" what creatures will consume the poison you set out! And if the "wrong creature" dies will you be prosecuted! I love California, if you could remove all those environmental wonks that make their laws it would be a great place to live!

Article I wrote a couple days ago, note the emphasis on recycling vehicles, buildings, etc. rather than replacement:

"Rural Solutions to Global Warming

First, lose the ‘lectrik cars and solar panel status symbols…

Why? Urban solutions are often inappropriate for rural environments, just like a 600 horsepower tractor is overkill for mowing a small city lot… Heck, will a 600 horsepower tractor even fit in a small city lot? Electric cars make sense for short urban trips, but when you need to haul a literal ton of feed, seed, or tractor parts a hundred miles you need more kilowatt hours than even the biggest Tesla battery can supply. As for solar, we got more and cheaper renewable energy from wind- rooftop home solar costs around $3/watt and produces around 20% of the time, megawatt class wind turbines cost $1.50 to $2/watt and produce power around 40% of the time. Nothin’ wrong with solar and over hundred meter tall wind turbines are kinda impossible to site in the city, but out here we got the space for wind, giving twice the renewable energy for half the price of solar.

Ok, so we got wind that kicks solar’s butt and kicks coal right outa the market, but how do we cut greenhouse gasses without electric cars? Unless we’re able to recharge an electric car entirely with renewable energy, in reality we’re reducing carbon use and greenhouse gas production rather than eliminating such pollution entirely. So how do we do that in a rural environment? For a start we don’t buy new electric cars, maybe not even hybrids, ’cause massive amounts of greenhouse gasses are produced just to make a new car or whatever. Rural folks are resourceful, given how unprofitable farming has been we’ve had to be- So fixing stuff forever is a big part of our skill set, Thus instead of tearing down an old house to build a new totally passive energy powered new home, we’ll rehab the old home with recycled materials, lotsa insulation, and heat it with a stove that burns renewable biomass fuels. In the same manner, we can rebuild an old truck to run on renewable fuels and reduce greenhouse gases more than a dozen hybrids. We can reduce farming energy inputs and greenhouse gas outputs by reduced and even no tillage and use waste energy from one process to power another like my dairy farmer friend does. Still want ‘lectricks? We got railroads, they already emit only a fourth of the greenhouse gases trucks do, and using fixed tracks, they’re easily electrified!

Not only can rural folks reduce greenhouse gases, but our rural environment can suck ’em up to- It’s called sequestration, and while it doesn’t seem to work for coal plants, it works on our farms and forests. We are just beginning to research the potential of bio sequestration, but we know that healthy soil, grasses, and even corn headed to the ethanol plant suck up greenhouse gasses. That’s why the National Farmer’s Union and even Congressman Colin Peterson are promoting cover crops to keep rural America green year round and protect the soil while sequestering greenhouse gasses and reducing fertilizer use.

In conclusion, pushing solar status symbols that cost more than we make in a year and electric cars that cost more than our house fail at best and provoke backlash at worst in rural America. Taking advantage of rural assets like our conservation ethic, rebuilding skills, vast spaces, and biomass assets will motivate rural folks to do their part and then some to stop global warming."

I'm pushing to get some of these ideas into the democratic party platform- For example, eliminate the sales tax on used vehicles so the vehicle is taxed just once instead of every time it's sold. Also eliminating the sales tax on used parts and repairs to encourage recycling instead of scrapping. Watcha think?

As always each of you has an excellent point! We are forced to live in a throwaway society! Having grown up (literally) in an auto salvage yard! I have a great respect for good used parts!my neighbor pulls a flatbed with a condo cab vision that doesn't look as good as those two! wtf! Even in the present state of mack reliability those two should have years left! During the last campaign to destroy vehicles that didn't meet certain emissions and gas mileage standards I watched them pour epoxy into low mileage engines that would interchange upwards into many of the new sport utility vehicles,pickups suburbans explorers etc! As several members pointed out no thought was given to the affect on the environment created by the production of new vehicles! Hybrid batteries require the mining of nickel and lead and the production of plastics for the case which is petroleum based,and on and on! As someone mentioned people who may be driving a paid for older car were now encouraged to turn the usable car in and go into debt with the rebate as a down payment on a car they couldnt afford and would soon be repossessed! I have nothing against New cars if properly maintained which will permit on average a usable life of 150000 to 250000 miles! Proper maintenance will support a number of industries....repair shops,auto parts stores tire stores and so on! The average motorist trades their car every 5 yrs. If they kept it even 2more yrs I believe the environment would benefit! Just noticed those visions are " cutoffs" which for all practical purposes makes them usable only for parts! Mack Tech just for laughs how does one "select" what creatures will consume the poison you set out! And if the "wrong creature" dies will you be prosecuted! I love California, if you could remove all those environmental wonks that make their laws it would be a great place to live!I agree,Teamster Grrrl! McDonald's runs a portion of their truck fleet on recycled cooking oil! I agree that that program may largely a rah rah advertising promotion,but it does have some merit! A major problem is that many Americans don't even think about repairing anything, it would never occur to them! The exception of course is farmers and rural folks(perhaps because they work so many hours for what they have they want it to last!) As solar panels become more economical they may at some point be a viable option for the average person, but the power company lobbies will fight it tooth and nail!