Suck in that gut!

RowdyRebel

When I was working the xtra list out of local 249 in Pittsburgh in 87 for OK Grocery ( Giant Eagle Mkts)  there was a store whose dock was so tight that you were given a gmc astro day cab( instead of the usual R model day cab) and a 40 ft trailer instead of the usual 45! You had to go the wrong way down a one way street and go in the little tavern to get the patrons to move their cars from in front of the dock! It was an uphill dock and you were authorized to rub your trailer against the telephone pole to pivot into the dock! The local utility had installed a metal plate ( think half of a piece of pipe) on the pole to protect it!  We carried an electric Jack in the trailer,was lotsa fun unloading the pallets uphill! I don't imagine they train the folks at Roadmaster truck driving  school any of these obscure skills!Lol

• Like 1

Not that its as tough as backing in a trailer.... But there are some FDNY companies that are in the classic horse drawn steamer fire stations of old that are that close.  Fast forward to the end of this video of Squad 18 in lower Manhattan... Check out the clearance to the mirrors.  They do this a couple dozen times a day.  The second piece (Frieghtshaker) is driven by a FF that isn't the normal chauffeur of the main piece so he's not as proficient at putting it back in the barn.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

back in the late 70's Kings supermarkets in Maplewood NJ was across the street from the post office on a narrow street. unloading zone was in an alley between two buildings. to make a delivery you had to run the Mack MR cabover with a 23 foot pup trailer, and run the tractor over the curb, then up the 5 steps in front of the post office to the first landing so you could line up to get in the alley. then once in the alley you had to stop and fold your mirrors in to reach the dock. 

Edited by tjc transport
fix typos
  • Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, General Ike said:

Not that its as tough as backing in a trailer.... But there are some FDNY companies that are in the classic horse drawn steamer fire stations of old that are that close.  Fast forward to the end of this video of Squad 18 in lower Manhattan... Check out the clearance to the mirrors.  They do this a couple dozen times a day.  The second piece (Frieghtshaker) is driven by a FF that isn't the normal chauffeur of the main piece so he's not as proficient at putting it back in the barn.

I don't know what you mean by not as tough as a trailer.   The guys at our station always made fun of me backing in.   The damn thing turns the wrong way!

• Like 1

My garage is narrower.  I have to pull in my drivers mirror, then weazel the passenger side mirror in, then straighten up.  I'm guessing it is a std 96" wide garage door opening?  The rear fenders have 3-4" on each side?

(I pulled it in when I started to stretch it.  I typically back in)

SDC10702.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"