sometimes you get lucky

WOW! I fear what is under the paint on my mixer, something evil I'm sure.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have seen lead in doors & cabs that I was told had to be factory. What have you guys ran into?  Willie,YOU are the man! I admire your patience and craftsmenship!  Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

BCR. First, thanks for the compliment. It's not patience,  it's a sickness :rolleyes:

I have seen factory lead in many of the project cars and trucks over the years. It seems to be in the seams and any imperfections after the bodies are put together. So in other words, lead found in a vehicle can,and usually is original.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I've got a set of factory bare NOS door shells.  I have wondered what they filled the spot welds with?   Just paint?  Or some kind of filler?  I've never got them painted and put on my truck, yet.  Too nice actually for my rust bucket.  I have one nice extra passenger door that I was going to strip and use instead at some point.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Hmmm, I've got a set of factory bare NOS door shells.  I have wondered what they filled the spot welds with?   Just paint?  Or some kind of filler?  I've never got them painted and put on my truck, yet.  Too nice actually for my rust bucket.  I have one nice extra passenger door that I was going to strip and use instead at some point.

There was nothing filling the spot weldd at all.....just primer and paint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6v71 said:

Ha!  I remember that company.  I grew up in Hanover PA.

It was originally sold to The Kelly Company according to the factory build sheet in 1958. I was able to see some of the original lettering on the tank as I was stripping the paint off.

I tried to get some info from both companies about the truck.....maybe an old picture or something. No response yet.

the spot welds weren't filled and they weren't from the front. they were spot welded around the inside. the dots you see are from rust pulling at the seams. overallan excellent door tho. skim coat of icing on those dots and some primer and good to go. when I usually do a B model door as dumb as it sounds, I usually pour a little oil or fluid film inside the door before I put the door panel on.

Edited by Maddog13407

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

My new doors have a very noticeable dimple, like Willies.  That is why I was asking what they used from the factory.  It would take a decent primer coat to fill them level.

I agree on the Fluid film.  Keeps moisture from tearing into the seams.  I do my daily drivers twice a year with Fluid film.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, Willie dog said:

It was originally sold to The Kelly Company according to the factory build sheet in 1958. I was able to see some of the original lettering on the tank as I was stripping the paint off.

I tried to get some info from both companies about the truck.....maybe an old picture or something. No response yet.

I think they used to deliver heating oil to our house in the late 70's.  I'll ask my folks.

• Like 1

I had my superliner cab media blasted and had a ton of body work to fix the ripples in the cowl where some jerk held the door open while backing up and jammed it into something punched in from top hinge to bottom hinge. Lots of holes from putting screws into the metal and using them to pull out the metal the top jamb of the door on the cab was punched in a half inch from the door coming up and smashing it they filled it with bondo which was all cracked I had to weld in a plate to bring it up enough for a leveling course of bondo to make it look right. A real nice rust free cab from California but lots of repairs caused by careless drivers but now I have it all ready for paint.

3 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

ranchhopper      how did the blazer move work out?

Well we got it to Joes macks house and my plan was to flat tow it home with a military tow bar but the truck I was going to tow it with had problems so I'm back to trying to find someone to transport it here. I'm glad we got it where it sits now because its in a place where I'm not rushed to get it out of there and it can be picked up anytime.

35 minutes ago, ranchhopper said:

Well we got it to Joes macks house and my plan was to flat tow it home with a military tow bar but the truck I was going to tow it with had problems so I'm back to trying to find someone to transport it here. I'm glad we got it where it sits now because its in a place where I'm not rushed to get it out of there and it can be picked up anytime.

pm    me the location it has to come to    i will see if  i can get it moved for something reasonable don`t know at the moment how soon that could be though

• Like 1

No question the auto manufacturers used lead to fill imperfections at least til the 50s.My  dad owned an auto salvage yard from 46 to 66, and we used to burn our car bodies before we scrapped them (before the EPA ) there were little piles of lead on the ground under the body seams! I used to collect the lead in a bucket and the old man would give me a couple of bucks for it! I was about 8!

On 2/15/2017 at 10:15 PM, Willie dog said:

Stripped multiple layers of paint and primer from both doors and what do I find underneath?????

NOTHING!   No filler, no rust holes whatsoever. Just a small crack where the mirror bracket attached to the door. Oh, and a dent the size  of a quarter.  I can even see the factory spot welds that hold the door skin to the door frame.

I guess this makes up for the tank body that needed a "little work".

20170215_212846.jpg

20170214_163156.jpg

I wasn't as lucky

2017-01-23 09.26.10.jpg

2017-01-23 09.26.15.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent....Lucky you.... I got real lucky my myself when I got my DM both doors rough found 2 clean doors 5 miles from here 150 a piece...... Always nice to find clean old steel . Like .. Shitten in tall.cotton.....Lol..bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

• Like 1