MR road tractor

I need some info about a project Im going to start in a few years.  I want to use an MR as a road tractor and put a decent sized sleeper on it maybe an ARI sleeper or something.

I'll farm out most of the work.  There will be a long line of questions as I go.  I'm entertaining all kinds of ideas.  Such as do i buy one of the old post office tractors and start there.  Do i buy a straight truck and convert it to a tractor.  An older fire engine or ladder truck chassis maybe be an option.  Im looking for tandem with ar ride 400 hp or higher and 10 or 13 speed.   I may also go with a 6x2 chassis but i do do some rock/stone hauling now so they may not work for me.

So some of my intial questions are these:  1. How much heavier is a double frame over a single frame ( i know length will affect this) 2: How dfficult is it to change rear end ratios and to convert camelback to air ride?  3: Does  a heavy front axle (20,000lb rated) weigh that much more than a 12,000 lb front axle?

Thanks in advance.

You sure you wanna do this? Most MRs are refuse trucks, they're heavy and get beat to hell. The exception is the Post Office Mack tractors, not much heavier than a CH. Most of them that have survived are '96s with 300 Mack power, Allison HT740 automatic, and 3.90 Eaton rears on air. Frames are 3/8" deep belly with 23k or 40k rears and 12k Mack front axle. That's what you got to work with... Would make a good tractor for city use, but with the barn door aerodynamics and 3.90 gears it's burn too much fuel for long haul use.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hook n ladder 1 said:

I need some info about a project Im going to start in a few years.  I want to use an MR as a road tractor and put a decent sized sleeper on it maybe an ARI sleeper or something.

I'll farm out most of the work.  There will be a long line of questions as I go.  I'm entertaining all kinds of ideas.  Such as do i buy one of the old post office tractors and start there.  Do i buy a straight truck and convert it to a tractor.  An older fire engine or ladder truck chassis maybe be an option.  Im looking for tandem with ar ride 400 hp or higher and 10 or 13 speed.   I may also go with a 6x2 chassis but i do do some rock/stone hauling now so they may not work for me.

So some of my initial questions are these:  1. How much heavier is a double frame over a single frame ( i know length will affect this) 2: How dfficult is it to change rear end ratios and to convert camelback to air ride?  3: Does  a heavy front axle (20,000lb rated) weigh that much more than a 12,000 lb front axle?

Thanks in advance.

You would want to use an ex-Post Office truck.

But what are you going to do about parts? Volvo doesn't want to support trucks in excess of 15 years of age. When/if they still do, they charge you a ridiculous amount. If your goal is to make a profit...............

Mack MC sleeper cab (UK).jpg

Mack MC sleeper cab (UK)..jpg

What I didn't mention is more than likely I will not use a refuse truck chassis.  I worked for Waste Management 25 years ago and drove an MR so Im aware of the beating they take.

Also I have to disagree about Volvo not supporting parts after 15 years.  I have an 18 y/o CH and have no prob getting parts.  I know a 1998 CH isn't much different than a 2003 as far as parts. 

Wish I had some pics,but a good friend of mine had a MC685  tractor he ran for quite awhile,hauled livestock,grain,flatbed and tanker with it. The local Mack dealer ordered it as a single axle tractor and it sat on the lot quite awhile,Larry was needing a new truck and had a couple old F models in the weeds,took the tandems out of one of those and made a twin screw MC. 

I've only driven one "compact" tractor it was one of those godawful international cabovers with a 5speed column shift.!! Was for Wilson freight off the local 249 extra board. Was wondering why you want one! If you need a short Cabover sleeper the dealers are giving them away! The freight companies have a buyback arrangement with the dealers, usually at 3 yrs so their trucks are always under warranty.The 0/0's want big power "large cars" so the short Cabovers go cheap. 

Hook  n ladder 1, I agree with teamster Grrrl wouldn't be an economical road horse.Plus you know how they ride!! If you must have a  Mack,there are a lot of MH Cabover around which are well built and comfortable.However, as Dirty Milkman says there are a lot of "cutoffs" around with any combo you want around, saw a couple on Tampa Craig's list today.

• 3 weeks later...